The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

duh..... yep, it WAS boulder brook. i was in new york visiting last week and it was so good to see her. beth is such a lovely woman, and always so well "turned out". my daddy used to say that she always had her "mane and tail done". beth sweetly took that as the highest compliment.

we went to playland...... dang, that was a walk down memory lane! and the larchmont yacht club. hasn't changed one whit in 50 years.

who was the gentleman who ran the boulder brook facility then? i've forgotten, and she just told me three days ago........

just wanted to add, i was reading in the beginning when you all were saying how kids these days don't get to experience the "joy" of owning a horse anymore!

well i'm definitely not the olden days (started riding at 8 years old in 1999), but i got to experience that! i rode western, learned for the first couple years on schoolies, got my first horse, finally after a couple more horses (that i bought myself) i got my "dreamhorse"! i spend every waking moment at the barn, i worked there cleaning stalls and pastures. i spent every weekend in the summer at playdays, riding allllll day long on my 5yo (well not exactly riding all day long, we'd do our class and then just sit and watch the rest of the day) and then swimming in the river! i did all the work on him and he was my BABY. i remember just sitting in his stall playing tug o' war with the leftover alfalfa for like 20 minutes.

kids still do get to experience that stuff! maybe not at the top show barns, but us backyard riders are still doing it!

FAIR JUDY

I went absolutly brain dead trying to think who ran Boulder Brook. This morning when I opened this up I REMEMBERED!!!!!!!! IT WAS AL HOMEWOOD. Yeah ! Boy it is not fun getting OLD

hey, at least your all young and "hype" enough to be online!
    None of my former trainers are computer literate!

Quote Originally Posted by KnKShowmom View Post
    Most of my friends had horses at their houses and we would ride to Caumsett State Park/LI bareback with halters wearing shorts, sneakers, and bathing suits. We would school around the cross country course and end up down on the beach so we could go swimming with the horses.
    Kids are still swimming with their horses at Caumsett although if the park ranger catches you he will give you a lecture and complain about you to the barn management.

Quote Originally Posted by abird80 View Post
    I'd love to see all the old jumping pics!!!!
    I wish I still had mine... fire destroyed quite a lot but my grandmother has a few salvaged ones left. There was another thread on old saddles we used to ride with and I fondly remember my pancake flat jumping saddle (hand-me-down). I hoping that next time I'm on the east coast visiting, I can squirrel some time to dig through boxes of photos. flat saddles... auto release... tb jumpers

Quote Originally Posted by OAK View Post
    FAIR JUDY

I went absolutly brain dead trying to think who ran Boulder Brook. This morning when I opened this up I REMEMBERED!!!!!!!! IT WAS AL HOMEWOOD. Yeah ! Boy it is not fun getting OLD
    I also remember a wonderul man named Leon who was running Boulder Brook in 1982-84. The grooms were Randy, Chicken John, Abe and others. Best grooms ever. All excellent horsemen. Once Leon saw me trying to ride my horse who hadn't been out in days and he came over and gave me a quarter. I said "What's this for?" He said "The toll on the Hutch!". (If you have ever been there, you get it. Of course, the tollbooth is gone too now).

THAT would have been a Loooooong ride home........

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Default West Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    I rode back in the 60's at Shadowland Ranch in La Jolla with Ruth and Augie Handley. We did lots of shows including the Del Mar Fair show back before the show ringswere redone. The ring was tiny so the fences on course seemed to be stacked almost on top of each other.
    West Coast, in the 60's and early 70's but further north. My mom and I boarded horses in Malibu and my mom ran the ETI shows at Crummer Field. I remember Larry Langer when he was an aerospace engineer for his day job and wore jeans and white tennis shoes to horse shows.
    The Evil Chem Prof

[QUOTE=fair judy;4020573]
    we went to playland...... dang, that was a walk down memory lane! and the larchmont yacht club. hasn't changed one whit in 50 years. QUOTE]

OMG, we used to sail in the regattas at Larchmont! Now thats a place I haven't thought of in years! Glad to see some things haven't changed.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Kids are still swimming with their horses at Caumsett although if the park ranger catches you he will give you a lecture and complain about you to the barn management.
    You weren't supposed to do it back then either, but you know kids, tell them no and they try twice as hard

All of my friends lived on "The Neck" so it was easy to slip into someone's back yard if we saw the rangers coming - boy those were the days!

We were back on LI for a funeral a few years ago and I couldn't believe how much that area had changed - used to be lovely old estate homes and big tracts of land and now most of the homes look more like banks than houses. Made me a bit sad because it was a beautiful place to grow up especially if you rode.

Quote Originally Posted by gillisdog View Post
    I also remember a wonderul man named Leon who was running Boulder Brook in 1982-84. The grooms were Randy, Chicken John, Abe and others. Best grooms ever. All excellent horsemen. Once Leon saw me trying to ride my horse who hadn't been out in days and he came over and gave me a quarter. I said "What's this for?" He said "The toll on the Hutch!". (If you have ever been there, you get it. Of course, the tollbooth is gone too now).
    Would this man be African-American? If so, Leon had been a groom at BB for many years prior. Hell of a horseman. He even trained a few kids while he was a groom (I am remembering one from the 70's....Kristy Gerstner maybe?). He always had a kind word and a great sense of humor. I guess he's gone now.....
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Leon was always well dressed, polite and as said beid a great groom. And I remember him back in the early 60's. They don't make that kind anyone. One of a kind!!

anyone remember wilkie collins?

Default Leon

Quote Originally Posted by OAK View Post
    Leon was always well dressed, polite and as said beid a great groom. And I remember him back in the early 60's. They don't make that kind anyone. One of a kind!!
    Yes, he was African-American, and he is gone now. I went to his wake in the late 80's. It was packed with customers, employees, friends; he was very much loved. He was the manager when I was there, and always impeccably dressed. He did teach quite a few kids, including Grant Stinchfield, who was very good! I am so glad people remember him as I do.

Barbara, who sometimes worked in the office there and gave all the horses carrots, bought a farm in Bedford and retired some of the Boulder Brook school horses and gave them a home for life.

Quote Originally Posted by gillisdog View Post
    I also remember a wonderul man named Leon who was running Boulder Brook in 1982-84. The grooms were Randy, Chicken John, Abe and others. Best grooms ever. All excellent horsemen.
    Would that be Abe Mingus?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Abe Mungin, who is also sadly gone now.

Yes Mungin. That is what I meant. Damn fingers with a mind of their own.

Much missed.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I'll have to point my mom to this thread - she rode at Boulder Brook I would guess in the late 40's, early to mid 50's. And sailed at Larchmont, I think. Don't suppose anyone has any stories to tell about Ellen Flack from back in the day, eh??

I haven't gotten to read this whole thread yet, but have we settled on a cutoff for the olden days?? I've always been more of an eventer and Pony Clubber, but was doing that in the 70's and early 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl View Post

I haven't gotten to read this whole thread yet, but have we settled on a cutoff for the olden days?? I've always been more of an eventer and Pony Clubber, but was doing that in the 70's and early 80's.
    Based on the "Best Jumper" thread, maybe if you saw Gem Twist show in person, not on Youtube?

My mother also showed at Boulder Brook in the 30s and 40s. She couldn't believe it was still standing when I told her I went there a few years ago to look at some horses.

I also heard a funny story recently from someone who was at Boulder Brook in the early 40s. One of the other guys who worked there gave him a ride to work on his motorcycle, and wiped out in the driveway. The motorcycle passenger ended up with a broken leg that he thinks saved his life, since it prevented him from fighting in World War II!