The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Spin off: What do you pay/charge for extras?

After reading what "Nervous-Alter" was paying for to have her horse properly cared for, I was wondering what else people up charge for.

At my stables there are no up charges for blanketing, wrapping, fly masks, fly sprays, supplementing, turn out, stall rest, etc Depending on the "rehab" there might possibly be an up charge, but usually it is just part of the service I offer. We have just 20 ish horses here so we are mid size - certainly not a mega barn!

Do you charge for "extras" do you pay for "extras"?

What are extras? Is a mare & foal extra? Is a mini extra? Is a draft horse extra? What is "extra?"

we do not charge for "extras", but we also dont' do a lot of extras.....we only apply fly spray if the hrose is particularily difficult to handle while turning out, or if he really will pace frantically all day....we do put on fly masks in the summer. We do not do blanket changes unless there is a sudden, dramatic change in temp that could not be accounted for the night before. We don't do many of the things that the other thread talked about. We would charge for rehab work if that came about, although I don't have a number in my head. WE also dont' charge for "extra" hay....the horses get what they need. The easy keepers balance out the hard keepers...in theory!!

just adding that a mare and foal is extra....approximately half of teh regular board cost added on. that's a no-brainer to me though.
    Last edited by denovo; Nov. 9, 2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: adding info.

I do pay for "extras". Those "extras" are farrier/vet fees at $5/hr, stall rest at $5/day, and meds at $3/time. The med fee only come into affect (shoot, is it effect, I always forget ) if the horse needs to be cross-tied to have meds given (i.e. eye meds, liquid via mouth, etc...). Otherwise, there's no fee (when Gus needed his leg iced daily there was no fee because the ice pack could be applied and left on while in his stall versus polticing... there was a $3 fee per time to wrap/rewrap).

As far as blanketing goes, I don't abuse the BO's generousity. If I can't make it out, they have been known to adjust/change blankets for me (I call to ask). I don't (typically) have to pay, but I'm sure there will be a fee if it gets abused.

There is a $20/month fee for using a "heated" water bucket in the winter, to pay the increased electric bill. The buckets are plugged in 24/7... I think the fan fee this summer was $10/month, but it may have also been $20 - I forget.

I love where Gus is boarded, so I don't mind one bit paying the extra fees. Where Gringo is at, there are no additional charges/fees. I really like that and it's nice that he's in a good barn too... wish Gus's board was as cheap as Gringos.

ETA: There's no charge to apply fly spray, as long as you provide (though I don't think they did a good job this year about applying it because I think I barely went through one bottle!). Fly masks are also applied at no charge - but if your horse ditches it in turnout, they don't always go out and retrieve them... sometimes they do if they are in that paddock/pasture, but not always.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

No charge for "extras", but if my horse is in need of extra care (injury needs daily tending, for example) I always bake some cookies or something for the BWs. I do as much as I can if a horse needs medicating, handwalking, holding for vet, etc. but if I am away or have to be at work the BO or BWs always do it with no extra charge.

My barn charges for extras. $5.00 to pull out/put away for farrier or vet. $30.00 monthly for blanketing. $30.00 monthly for supplements fed. Flymasks are on/off at no charge unless your horse won't be caught for it. Fly spray is not an option unless you are going to be gone for more than a day and set it up with the bo. I was the first boarder to move in when she started up and she wasn't charging for any of these things at the time. She still doesn't charge me, (my horse is also super easy and would almost blanket herself). I feed my own supps and if I'm gone for a day or two I leave them pre-measured for her. I clean her stall myself and ask the bo to pick it out if it gets bad only if I'm gone more than 1 day (she usually doesn't poop in her stall). I try very hard not to abuse the bo and always pick her up a trinket when I'm away. I also make a point of offering to feed lunch or do the blanketing for everyone when the bo has a show or needs to be away. Oh, regarding stall rest, if it was for a week or two, she would expect you to help with the care and wouldn't charge you extra, if it went over a month she would increase the board-I've seen it happen (but this wasn't an owner who showed up much)
    Last edited by kahjul; Nov. 9, 2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: added the stall rest info
    Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

I'm not a BO or a boarder, but I feel that "extras" that don't take a lot of time, such as fly spray and blanketing are basic standards of horse care that should be included in full board.

Holding the horse for the vet/farrier/chiro/whatever, obviously takes up a good chunk of time and therefore deserves an extra charge. Ditto for lunging, handwalking...etc.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

At our barn we do not charge extra for most basic things. Boarders buy their own supplements that we put in the feeds. Anyone want something that we don't have they must supply it and we will give it. Blanketing and fly masks are part of the service as is basic wound/injury care though owners must pay for or supply the meds, bandages, etc.
    Almost all of our horses stand tied with a hay net for the farrier so no problem there and no charge for holding for the vet, We have ourown vet and farrier but if someone wants a different one, fine, but they must make their own arrangements and be there when they come. We show trim the show horses as part of the service but do charge for any body clipping.

At the barns I board at full care means just that. We pay board and everything else is included with the exception of supplements which owners purchase and they feed at no extra charge (that's just common sense though). I'm with the above poster that thinks fly spray/masks/sheets are a part of basic horse care. My barns also boot, turnout, do any basic wound care that might come up until owners can arrive and hold for the vet/farrier at no extra charge. I like being hands on so I'm always there to meet the vet/ farrier (at one of the barns my vet lives on the property which makes it super easy) but there are many boarders at my place at school that owner calls 'storage boarders' in that they seem to just put their horse in storage and never come out to see them again. As long as they pay their board they don't really have to since all is included but still seems like a waste to me.

My barn charges for no extras. If your horse needs to see farrier, vet, etc. and you can't be there, they'll hold the horse. Blanket changes as neccessary. Fly spray and masks all done. It's one of the least expensive places around and it has good care so I'm a happy boarder. It's run by a husband and wife team and they do all the work for 27 horses.

A couple of weeks ago, they wanted to take a day off. I volunteered to run the barn for the weekend so they could have a rare day to themselves. I fully realize I'm a desk jockey and completely not physically fit to clean all those stalls and do everything that needs to be done. But with that said, I will never ever contest or resent a blanket charge again. This particular weekend was freezing at night and 60 during the day as fall weekends sometimes are. Blanket changes were a pain in the butt to do with Med/HW for evening and sheets or naked for the day. Apparently we have some badly behaved horses when it comes to putting their blankets on/off!. It took forever! It easily added 45-50 minutes to morning chores and evening chores. One may think it takes only a few minutes, but add up how many horses you have at your farm times 2 minutes and it can run into a bit of time! So, yes, it is part of regular, required horse care, but if I have a reasonable board cost year round, I will gladly pay this particular charge in the future! $30/month is a dollar per day. Stinks to have to pay, but if I don't have to worry about my boy overheating during the day while I'm at work, I'll pay it if she asks and I won't resent it. What a pain!

My BO doesn't charge enough. Really. She does it b/c she loves it, not to make money ( of course no one really makes much money!) and the board she charges just covers expenses. We have an indoor & outdoor ring, trails and all day turnout, even if it gets a bit muddy in spots when it rains and it's not huge. There are certainly things I would choose to do differently if it were my place. But it's safe and sane and someone is always on the property. She could easily charge $300-400 more per month and get it. Working that weekend made me remember how much work the horses are, and how lucky I am to have this wonderful place for my horse to call home!

My barn charges $420 a month for regular stall board. Its up from 400 because he added 10 for increasing feed/hay/whatever costs and another 10 because he installed arena lights. If a horse has to stay up for any reason he charges extra per night for that also. I think it's 10 a night but I'm not sure. For regular stall board with a high quality timothy/alfalfa mix, it's $520. Pasture board is 220, all horses must be on the same feed and no supplements are allowed. The fencing is poor. Half electric wire, barbed wire in spots, and electric tape. It's the barbed wire and electric tape constantly sagging and falling that causes me concern.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like he's nickel and diming a little bit. There are other miscellaneous charges as well. I've never boarded at a barn with so many fees, but my BO isn't really a horse person so maybe that has something to do with it.

My barn does not charge extra for *standard* stuff. My awesome BO/BM will not charge extra for meds, etc, or blanketing. There are many horses on the farm, and not many can be there for the farrier, who comes 2x/week. We are lucky she doesn't charge for that...she fetches your horse, sticks around while he is done, and plops him back out. She'll feed/soak beet pulp for you, toss in the supplements without ever missing. Wonderful!

That said, I agree with the above poster who mentioned there probably *would* be charges if it was abused in some way. If I expected her to be rotating blankets on my horse constantly, I'm sure it would cost extra and I would pay for it gladly. Or difficult medicating, or wrapping/bandage changing. But in general, I try to do all of it myself, and also pay attention to next day's weather and choose my own blanketing schedule at the end of each day. I'm also lucky that I can be at the barn 6-7 days/week.

However, she does charge a bit extra (I don't know what ,but knowing her rates for everything else, incredibly reasonable) for getting your horse ready for hunting, etc. But that absolutely should be as it is a time-consuming process!

Quote Originally Posted by smhlin110 View Post
    My barn charges for no extras. If your horse needs to see farrier, vet, etc. and you can't be there, they'll hold the horse. Blanket changes as neccessary. Fly spray and masks all done. It's one of the least expensive places around and it has good care so I'm a happy boarder. It's run by a husband and wife team and they do all the work for 27 horses.

A couple of weeks ago, they wanted to take a day off. I volunteered to run the barn for the weekend so they could have a rare day to themselves. I fully realize I'm a desk jockey and completely not physically fit to clean all those stalls and do everything that needs to be done. But with that said, I will never ever contest or resent a blanket charge again. This particular weekend was freezing at night and 60 during the day as fall weekends sometimes are. Blanket changes were a pain in the butt to do with Med/HW for evening and sheets or naked for the day. Apparently we have some badly behaved horses when it comes to putting their blankets on/off!. It took forever! It easily added 45-50 minutes to morning chores and evening chores. One may think it takes only a few minutes, but add up how many horses you have at your farm times 2 minutes and it can run into a bit of time! So, yes, it is part of regular, required horse care, but if I have a reasonable board cost year round, I will gladly pay this particular charge in the future! $30/month is a dollar per day. Stinks to have to pay, but if I don't have to worry about my boy overheating during the day while I'm at work, I'll pay it if she asks and I won't resent it. What a pain!

My BO doesn't charge enough. Really. She does it b/c she loves it, not to make money ( of course no one really makes much money!) and the board she charges just covers expenses. We have an indoor & outdoor ring, trails and all day turnout, even if it gets a bit muddy in spots when it rains and it's not huge. There are certainly things I would choose to do differently if it were my place. But it's safe and sane and someone is always on the property. She could easily charge $300-400 more per month and get it. Working that weekend made me remember how much work the horses are, and how lucky I am to have this wonderful place for my horse to call home!
    I board at a very similar place to yours it sounds like; family run, they do all the work. I help out as much as I possibly can, and just like you worked a weekend recently because they had to be out of town. It truly gives you an appreciation and I'll happily say I wouldn't balk if she DID choose to charge extra for some of those things too.

Places like this are absolutely a godsend, and you'd have to pry me away.

Yup, I will only be dragged away kicking & screaming. Unless, of course something drastically changes. Then I will cry!!

OMG, sometimes I wonder if the BO should "upcharge" for draft horses. We have two draft crosses and the two of them have caused more damage to the barn/fencing/stalls/rings/jumps than the other 18 horses put together. Maybe it's just those two but they will go right through anything they want when they want to go somewhere. They just seem to have a different attitude about solid objects than even other large horses.

Most basic care is included in board-- fly spraying, feeding owner-supplied supplements, fly masks, basic blanketing, basic turnout booting, etc. I suppose if you have some kind of crazy ritual where your horse has to have the blankets changed 3x/day, they'd charge extra-- but basic 1x/day changing is included. The BM/trainer charges extra for stall rest ($2.50 day but the bedding/feed is added/changed 2x/day instead of once), holding for the vet/farrier/dentist ($5/episode), injections ($5/injection), and cold hosing/wrapping/basic vet care (billed as expended, usually no more than $5-10 and she doesn't always charge, it depends how much of a PITA the horse is and how much of her time it takes up). I think that's a very, VERY fair system. Things that are basic/expected are included and anything the "crops up" and takes extra time/effort cost more.

I think the place I board is the bargain of the century. I've never been so satisfied with a boarding barn, and I've been at places that were double the price. It all comes down to whether the people taking care of the horse CARE to do things right. That... is priceless.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by cu.at.x View Post
    I'm not a BO or a boarder, but I feel that "extras" that don't take a lot of time, such as fly spray and blanketing are basic standards of horse care that should be included in full board.

Holding the horse for the vet/farrier/chiro/whatever, obviously takes up a good chunk of time and therefore deserves an extra charge. Ditto for lunging, handwalking...etc.
    I am not disagreeing with fly spray and blanketing being included in board, but I do disagree with the fact that they don't take a long time. Have you blanketed a barn of 20? Weather here changed on Friday night. All horses needed blankets on before turnout Sat morning. That was almost 45 minutes of blanketing. I think it is something that the barn owner should do as you mentioned as part of standard horse care, BUT the owner is also responsible for their horse's care. If you know weather is changing then a responsible horse owner would make sure the horse was wearing the appropriate blanket for the weather.

Been years since I was at anything except all inclusive full care barns. Experience keeping at charge for service or private do it yourself facilties taught me not to resent a penny or even want to try to do it myself anymore.

Oh...if somebody has to sleep in the tack room to change an IV bag every few hours in the dead of winter, it's expected that person would get something directly from the owner. Not on the bill unless it gets to be a nightly occurance that requires adjusting staff shifts...and that is reasonably considered above and beyond normal care standards.

All the rest of what is mentioned is included...and they charge accordingly to keep the staff to do it.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I include blanket changes due to weather. In other words I'll do all the changing necessary but I won't change from a turnout to a stable blanket and back again day in and day out.

I also include the fly spray itself and applying it. You have to get your own for riding/whatever you are doing with your horse. The farm spray gets put on when they go outside and thats it.

I also supply Equine Micro 100 Salt Blocks.

I include feeding supplements and medications that can be mixed in the feed.

If a regular boarder goes on stall rest there is no extra charge per say and I will pick the stall out later in the day in addition to the daily mucking. However, you may pay more for bedding because I include a certain amount of bedding in the board and after that it is charged on a per bag basis.

Horses have all the hay they want...

I include doing fly masks, turnout boots, etc. But I won't put on and take off pull-ons daily. If you want them off inside, get velcro ones. Or they'll just be flipped up.

I do charge extra for handwalking, administering meds with an oral syringe, cleaning wounds, wrapping, etc.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Full board is $300. There isn't an extra charge for blanketing, supplements are bagged and the BO adds it to the grain in the pm. They go out weather permitting - in the winter they are in more than usual. So they do go through bedding more - no charge for that. The arena lights are used now since it is dark when I get to the barn, so electricity is more in the winter, I am the only one that rides in the evening. No extra charge for that. There is only 2 other horses that come in at night, and one other horse that is in all the time. The other 10 stay out 24/7. Everyone pays the same board.

I do however clean my own stalls about 3 times a week, and feed my boys their pm meal about 4 times a week. I also scrub their buckets 3 times a week. I don't have to, I do not get a break for it, I just do it because I am there.

I use to run a boarding place so I try to make things as easy as possible for the BO. However blankets do need to be changed when they go out in the winter because she heats the barn.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    OMG, sometimes I wonder if the BO should "upcharge" for draft horses. We have two draft crosses and the two of them have caused more damage to the barn/fencing/stalls/rings/jumps than the other 18 horses put together. Maybe it's just those two but they will go right through anything they want when they want to go somewhere. They just seem to have a different attitude about solid objects than even other large horses.
    Tell that to my busted dutch doors! The "mare" has done it again - she is lucky I like her owner so much or she'd be out on her ear! After several horrible experiences with drafts I swore I'd never board another one. Then would you know my friend buys one - I just couldn't say no -

I am glad to see I am not the only one who feels full board means FULL board

Full board is $275.

On top of that, I pay: $35 for turnout 7 days a week (but i bring in on sat/sun)

$30 per extra flake of hay (from 80 lb bales...this is at cost, I did the math). So for 2 mares, $60/month, poor deprived morgan fatty, will be $30/month starting next month.

So each big mare costs me: $370/month...which is pretty much "normal" for where I am at, if not at the lower end of "normal"

Bo feeds my grain and supps at no charge. I pre-mix everything for her so its a simple dump and feed. But they are getting some beep in the AM now, and there i no charge to soak and feed that.

When my girls were sick, the BO fed their morning meds to them, no charge. 1 by syringe and 1 by food, cuz she's an absolute jerk to even try to syringe. I couldnt let my BO get hurt, so we figured out how to mask it in food.

No charge for fly masks on/off.

I dont ask about blankets- they usually just wear what they have on- they are in shedrow stalls, so they do get chillier. I'll go out to change them if necessary.

I consider myself lucky and try to be a helping, active boarder. Like helping to fix the stupid electric fence all weekend. And when we changed bedding, I showed her how to efficiently clean it so there is less waste.

Its a give and give relationship, one that i much appreciate.