The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Please tell me about Bartville Harness Shop, PA

I've read on here that it's a super place to find quality bridles, and I am in the market for a nice Figure 8 bridle that won't break the bank-think they will have a few styles of Figure 8's to choose from? How about reins? Do they have nice ones?

Also, it's an hour out of my way to where I am headed, so is it definitely worth the trip?

What other tack do they sell? Is it only leather goods? Do they sell any turnout-type blankets?

I have heard that their bridles are similar to Edgewood and Nunn Finer, but lots cheaper.....any truth to this? I'd love it if they had the Nunn Finer Soft Grip reins cheaper than BoB or VTO!

Anything else you can share would be great! Thanks!
    Last edited by allisontatman; Nov. 9, 2008 at 08:39 PM.

I'm pretty sure they actually make the nunn finer stuff, but I could be wrong.

In any case, yes, you will find what you're looking for The last time I was there I nearly bought a bridle and I didn't even need one. Lots of great strap goods (reins, and of course the stirrup leathers, which are fantastic)

It's sort of hard to find, especially if someone has stolen the Puseyville Rd. sign.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    I'm pretty sure they actually make the nunn finer stuff, but I could be wrong.

In any case, yes, you will find what you're looking for The last time I was there I nearly bought a bridle and I didn't even need one. Lots of great strap goods (reins, and of course the stirrup leathers, which are fantastic)

It's sort of hard to find, especially if someone has stolen the Puseyville Rd. sign.
    I'm also pretty sure they make the nunn finer stuff. I'll second that you will find what you're looking for. All their stuff is great quality and reasonable prices!

They do make all the "Made in the USA" Nunn Finer stuff. They will not tell you so nor with Bit of Briton.

Their stuff is GREAT!!!! I have to call this week and get new leathers. I like the ones they have better them the ones from france that came with my saddle.
    AilleXWest
    www.gypsystoychest.com Adult Toys and Home partys

Um, don't go unless you want to spend lots of cash They do make all the nunn finer leather goods. There are not a ton of different "styles" but what they do have is gorgeous. They have some turnouts (rambos and similar blankets). Lots of bridles, halters, girths, strap good and so much more. Remember it is an Amish tack shop so only cash or check and the hours are kinda strange so check in with them first.

I recently got my hunting bridle there for $89 and I buy most of my martingales and breastplates there. I prefer a bit "fancier" of bridle with padding and such but that is just me.

They do have those reins (um, the one's I sniped from you on ebay) I have several pairs on all the bridles. They are really nice and I am enjoying them out hunting. I can't recall the price but say $20 or so cheaper that BOB.

After these rave reviews I will be heading up there this Thursday-I will call first to make sure they are open!

Jess,
    Let me know if you need me to pick up anything for you-I'd be happy to (even though you sniped those reins from me-LOL)! I need a couple more pairs of those reins myself and am hoping to find a nice Figure 8.

Do they have bits, too?

Being it is amish wedding season, you will want to check before you make a trip on a Thursday, as weddings are on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Just trying to save you a trip for nothing! You will love the bridles/strapgoods though!

I can triple-confirm that they do in fact make the Nunn Finer strap goods. I have held my Bartville elastic breastplate and elastic martingale attachment up to the real deal, and they are EXACTLY the same.

As a general rule of thumb, they're 30-45% less than the "real" NF goods. You are going to die when you see the price on the Soft Grips. Let's just say it's less than most people pay for "cheapie" rubber reins.

I have their catalog right in front of me, and those soft grip reins (on my list TOO) are WAAAAAY cheap. A whopping 51.20.

Now, don't buy them all everybody.

Boy, I might have to take you up on that offer. I have a hunt bridle with zinc buckles that I want to trade for brass buckles. Anyway I could meet you beforehand and send you with a check. I came up with a few more things I need...um that is always an issue

They do have bits but not a huge variety. They have some neat stuff in the clearance section to. I have picked up various standing/running attachments and sometimes a bridle that has a slight mark or something on it.

They do have a catalog if you wanna browse it before heading up. I think mine is at work but if we meet up I can lend it to you.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by spacehorse View Post
    I have their catalog right in front of me, and those soft grip reins (on my list TOO) are WAAAAAY cheap. A whopping 51.20.

Now, don't buy them all everybody.

Bartville has a catalog?? Where did you get one?

KlawPaws

I just asked for one when I was in the store. It might be a few dollars if you call and ask them to mail one but worth having on hand.

Not only does Bartville have a catalog now, shipping UPS to anywhere, BUT they are having a big sale for a whole month from about Dec. 15 - Jan 15. I can't find the sale info they sent us, but it sounded very exciting!! (I think it was either 10% or 15% off everything.)

So, call 717-529-6992 & leave a message.

As someone else said, Nov. is wedding month so don't go without making sure they are open.

The usual store hours are:

M-T-Th 7 am - 5 pm
    W 7 am - 4 pm
    F 7 am - 7 pm
    S 7 am - 4 pm

They sell used tack, sometimes used riding boots, all sorts of stuff, bits, grooming supplies, leather cleaning, the biggest bell boots you ever saw (plate sized for drafts), etc.

Thanks for all the quick replies! Now I REALLY cannot wait to go! I plan to call in the am to see if they will be open-keeping my fingers crossed!

Jess-sent you an email!

Forgot the address: 1243 Noble Road, Christiana PA 17509

Also found the sale paper. Supposedly if you call between 8 & 8:15 AM they will answer the phone. Otherwise, leave a message. The sale is 10% discount between Dec. 15 & Jan 17 with super specials offering an additional 10% off. All chestnut halters will be an extra 10% off - 1" halters, $31; triple stitch halters, $35; 3/4" single buckle halters, $25.20; 3/4" grooming halter, $19.60; 5/8" foal halter, $16.80.

Free gift if you spend over $250, not including shipping.

Will take phone or mail orders. Pay with check or money order. Submit orders with payment by Dec. 15.

Shipping:
    up to $300, add $14
    $300-$500, add $16
    $500-$900, add $18
    over $900, call for price

Gorrrrrgeous stuff. If they aren't open on the day you plan to go, CHANGE YOUR PLANS!

Well, I just got off the phone with them and they are open this Thursday! YAY! FYI-they are closed Nov. 18th.

This is the address I had:

156 Highland Rd
    Christiana, PA 17509-9749

But I am assuming it is an old one/wrong?

Bartville Harness Shop
    1243 Noble Road Christiana, PA 17509
    (717) 529-6992

I was just there 2 weekends ago & am in love with the place! I unfortunately live in IL though. I can't believe they have a catalog! I must call for one! I bought the soft grippy rubber reins, a new flash noseband & a browband for $100. I was very happy...definately had more I wanted!!! MUST GET CATALOG!!!!

Do they charge for the catalog? If so, anyone know how much? If anyone knows the amount I'll just send them a check & letter...
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief