The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up A day with my daughter

If anyone wants to see the pictures or video clips of Taylor and I on Sunday please email. I am sorry. I in no way am hurt by constructive criticism aimed toward me, but I am by derogatory statements aimed at a child.
    Last edited by aspenlucas; Nov. 11, 2008 at 07:00 PM.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Very cute!
    I rarely see Cleveland Bays around here. And now I'm guessing they aren't all bay?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Very cute!
    I rarely see Cleveland Bays around here. And now I'm guessing they aren't all bay?
    Partbreds are not always bay, Ferdi is 1/4 CB/TB, so he takes after his TB side, though not sure where the flaxen came from.
    www.frostyoaks.com

Are full CBs always bay?
    Ferdi is cute as a button BTW...especially sporting his blonde 'do.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

That's adorable Those are very good boys, I especially liked the part where your daughter was jumping up and down next to your gelding and he just looked at her like "Hey kid, what's up?", didn't even bat an eye. I like them with bombproofing, personally
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Are full CBs always bay?
    Ferdi is cute as a button BTW...especially sporting his blonde 'do.
    Pure Cleveland Bays are always bay, they may have a small star, if they have more they can be registered but are mismarked. There is the rare chestnut CB but I've only heard of them, never seen one, maybe one picture? Partbreds can be any color, there have been bay, grey, chestnut and pinto, I don't think any appy's yet, but could be wrong, oh and I've seen roans!
    www.frostyoaks.com

Thanks for the info. I don't know a whole lot about CBs...now that you mention it I have noticed that the handful I've ever seen and all the photos I've seen of them haven't shown any to have white markings either.
    I wasn't sure how dominant their coloring was...but I guess no more dominant than any bay. I know horses like Fjords are *really* typey even when crossed...both with color and type.
    I really enjoy color genetics...it's interesting as heck. But there's soooo much to learn.
    I do remember there used to be a small speedy little CB gelding that used to show the circuits around here in CT when I was a teenager. He was cute and agile as heck...showed in low jumpers and ran into him and his fearless tiny owner at some hunter paces once in a while too. Bold as brass that little guy was...maybe 14.3 hh or so and such a refined build on him. Can;t remember his name off hand though.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Beautiful horses! Loved in the first vid when your daughter asked him to back up - what a good boy!

Lovely horses. I'd really like to own a CB one day.

cool kid! Nice yearling too!
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Kids are natural de-spooking machines!

Please tell me I'm not the only one who was very alarmed at these videos.... I am a pretty laid back individual (I think), and I know even the best horses can have days when things go terribly wrong. Maybe I've turned into a stick up the butt kind, gosh I hope not, but I was quite concerned for the safety of your daughter during both of these videos.

Video one - leading a yearling freshly saddled for the first time (even if you had already led him around for a little while!) at a walk and trot up and down the driveway like that, and in the manner she was doing it (often directly in front of the horse). Goodness, he could've suddenly jumped forward and trampled her.

And in the second video, even more alarming that you rode him for the first time with her standing so close, and again, directly in front of him at points in time.

All it takes is once, and your little girl is gone. Accidents can happen with any horse, but this just seems to be asking for it. It is so not worth it... I wish you would re-think having her help so closely with babies like this.

Wigwag, it's NOT just you. I was pretty aghasted myself over those videos. Last thing in the world I'd do with a newly saddled yearling is hand over the reins to a 5yo and say 'get out of the way if you need to' and then distract myself with a camera. NO kid in the world is going to be able to avoid a wreck if it were to happen and the OP is in no position to help.

The first time riding one was even worse to me. OP took the time to set up and secure a camera but not her kid. I'm glad your horse was so good and nothing happened, this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Traum View Post
    OP took the time to set up and secure a camera but not her kid. I'm glad your horse was so good and nothing happened, this time.
    Horse are horses....and yes they all have bad days. Taylor has fallen off her 20 year old pony when he missteps. We did work a young horse, two that day that she wasn't even near me. She stayed outside the round pen, outside the fence around the round pen and then stood there in the grass. This was a fiesty filly that had not had extensive ground work. Sure this was the first time the one boy was ridden and the first time Garrett was saddled. But, I did lead them around for quite some time before video taping. Sure it's not enough for some of you. But being around horses and being young is dangerous. Period, whether she's helping cleaning stalls, or with the horse. These two have been despooked, tied, etc. Sure things can come up, but I'd never put her in a situation I felt was not safe. At what point do you allow a young child to help? At what age? Taylor lives on a farm and has to be around horses each day. She's not only at the barn once a week for a lesson. At some point they have to be introduced and for me using two very calm youngsters I've worked with and know and trust are the first steps to having her help me. Or do I wait til she is 8? I don't know the answer. I just know I didn't feel at once like she was in danger. Maybe 30 feet away was too close when I was on Ferdinand. As for leading she leads these youngsters all the time. I just know how I feel around these two and how much I love and adore my daughter. But I am interested at what point you introduce them to youngsters? She's been leading my trained horses and her pony since she was 2.
    Last edited by aspenlucas; Nov. 10, 2008 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Added in that she is around them daily.
    www.frostyoaks.com

Personally speaking, I wouldn't let anyone other than competant teenagers, under supervision, handle yearlings and horses being ridden for 1st time. If you are honestly asking what age range - that is my answer.... before that I don't believe a young child has the capability or size to react quickly enough and appropriately to a panicking young horse, or one who suddenly throws a temper tantrum.

She did not look 30 feet away to me. That leadrope is what, 6 - 8 feet? And in the video of you mounting and circling, I know cameras can be deceiving, but again - 30 feet?

Since you deleted my comment on your video and immaturely posted a rude reply on one of my videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbCYYgH_Pyw in retaliation- I will say it here so you can't delete it.

I am really concerned that you are allowing your 5 year old to be working with a young stallion and other young horses. Your child is not paying attention at all, she kicked over your saddle and took your girth away while you were trying to saddle a young horse, and then she started jumping and spinning right where the horse was tied. NOT SAFE AT ALL for her, for you, or for the horse. She was in kick range of the young horse you were riding as you were bouncing up and down on it's back. Again- not safe. Several of your videos have me seriously concerned about your daughter and your horses. Your attitude about it leaves me even more concerned. *shakes head*

oops- looks like you deleted the link to your other video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ZZdnbAlro

Quote Originally Posted by Wigwag View Post
    Personally speaking, I wouldn't let anyone other than competant teenagers, under supervision, handle yearlings and horses being ridden for 1st time. If you are honestly asking what age range - that is my answer.... before that I don't believe a young child has the capability or size to react quickly enough and appropriately to a panicking young horse, or one who suddenly throws a temper tantrum.
    Me neither. (I'd let competent grown-ups handle them too, though. ) Even the calmest, most angelic and "despooked" youngstock have their moments.

I do love CBs.

Freaked ME out, for sure.......What a good baby horse. Luck was on your side, Honey.

I agree with the concerned posters... Very dangerous... She could have so easily been trampled.

In this video the little girl actually falls down in front of the 2 year old horse while she's leading it! Heart-stopper
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-Gr_pbx65w