The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Australian Shepherds in NY/New England

Hubby and I are looking to buy and Australian Shepherd. We are looking for a purebred with decent breeding but we don't need a puppy with championship bloodlines and the $1,000 price tag. Does anyone know of any breeders around New York that might fit that description? We are an hour south of Albany and are willing to travel 2-3 hours. Thanks! PM me if you would like!

Want the best?

go to the Las Rocosa Australian Shepherd website.
    They are in Colorado but they will ship.

And they will also tell you of reputable breeders in NY and NE.

They wrote the books, All About Aussies and The Australian Shepherd, they are the Hartnagle family, and they bench and also use their dogs on sheep/bison/cows/ducks.

I've bought from them for more years that I'll say here, and they stand behind their dogs. Just get the ones off of their ranch (used to be Boulder, now in Kiowa) instead of the pick of the litter that they get from someone who has bred a female to one of their dogs.

I'm here right now with my elderly and ill (she's 15 yrs and 10 months old)
    Las Rocosa Scheherazade.

The Hartnagles were some of the founders of the breed. Read All About Aussies.

Heck, I had a wonderful daughter of Hud, one of the famous Aussies.

Good luck. Watch for breeders who sell with hip and eye problems.

If the Hartnagles don't have a dog in your price range (they sell pet quality of course cheaper than the show dogs) then they will direct you to someone in your area whocan be trusted.)

And check your local rescues. Nice Aussies lose their homes and families.

And check for an Aussie rescue in New England. I'm sure some Aussie people are running rescues up there.

You can get some good adult Aussies who are just as good as the show dogs.

Whatever you do, don't post on a dog board. Horse boards are the way to go for finding a specific breed of dog.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    And check your local rescues. Nice Aussies lose their homes and families.

And check for an Aussie rescue in New England. I'm sure some Aussie people are running rescues up there.

You can get some good adult Aussies who are just as good as the show dogs.

Great idea! Here is the first link I found when I ran a quick search:
    http://australianshepherd.rescueme.org/

You never know. I have a 9 year old and a 9 month old. Good luck with your search!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Default Aussies

I am in Ontario and have a beautiful blue merle Aussie from an excellent breeder who shows in breed shows, agility and also sheep herding. She unfortunately has just moved to northern Ontario but has a great web site and ships all over the world. My Aussie is now 8 yrs old, I got her when she was 10 weeks old, she was well socialized when I got her and she has been a wonderful dog, great with kids and all other animals. Here is the web site. http://www3.sympatico.ca/highrail/

I have had Aussies for almost 20 years. We currently have a wonderful female from rescue (and another from a breeder).

Start at http://www.aussierescue.org/AdoptFro...leAussies.aspx

Search in NY first. Contact the folks from that group. Apparently NY is considered part of mid-Atlantic. This is who we worked with. They were very nice to deal with.

There are some nice dogs listed there right now.

if you want a dog with healthy ancestors I'm afraid you're going to have to pay that $1k price tag. If you want a healthy working dog stay far away from the aussies with conformation championships though, look for real herding dogs.

I have a 5 year old and a 4 year old. They are the best thing in my life.

I got my female from a border breeder who rescued her, and my male I got through a referal.

If you aren't stuck on getting a puppy you can find great dogs in rescues. They come with baggage and take some work, but its completly worth it. The love you give them they return 100fold.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Blue Jake came from the Humane Society as a 10 month old nutcase...he was dumped there just before Christmas, 9 years ago, and has been with me ever since. Rough road at first but he's a good dog now. My first Aussie (Las Rocosa lines from Misty Morn in NJ) was with me 13 years. They are awesome dogs! When Jake gets a little older I'll be looking for a pup too...good luck with your search. I'm off to follow links now to preview for my future pup.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    If you want a healthy working dog stay far away from the aussies with conformation championships though, look for real herding dogs.
    That's not true- plenty of dogs that are finished in conformation also become excellent performance dogs as well as herding dogs. It is more about the individual dog's personality.

here is a place in NY that has pups under $1k.

http://www.puppyfind.com/view_listin...26page%25253D1

Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    That's not true- plenty of dogs that are finished in conformation also become excellent performance dogs as well as herding dogs. It is more about the individual dog's personality.

here is a place in NY that has pups under $1k.

http://www.puppyfind.com/view_listin...26page%25253D1
    You are so right. Benching is only one facet of being a reputable breeder.
    My Aussies' family (I've gotten 5 aussies from them over many years) uses their dogs on livestock. When the nationals were held in Gainesville GA in 2000, their Aussies worked on cows and ducks.

And don't forget hybrid vigor. You can adopt a 1/2 Aussie who is just as smart and healthy as a purebred, maybe more so!

Oh and check your humane societies and shelters for dogs there and for FOSTERED dogs. One woman came up to me in the grocery store and told me she is fostering an Aussie at home for the humane society here. So you might not see your Aussie in the shelter, but he/she might be staying at a foster home.

Las Rocosa found one of their (sold) dogs at a shelter years ago, and got it and rehomed it. You can ask a good breeder if he/she has any dogs who have been given back because of finances, etc.

Just make sure if you buy from a breeder, that the hips and eyes are certified. There are a lot of disreputable breeders out there, who want your certified check, but won't give you a certified dog.

Quote Originally Posted by chaltagor View Post
    Whatever you do, don't post on a dog board. Horse boards are the way to go for finding a specific breed of dog.
    Really? Why do people feel the need to be so snarky? What makes you think this person didn't post this question to a dog forum too? Besides, many horse people, myself included, have Aussies. I think it's reasonable to see if any of us might have a recommendation.

Great Aussie Rescue

http://aussierescue.leepfrog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kml84 View Post
    Hubby and I are looking to buy and Australian Shepherd. We are looking for a purebred with decent breeding but we don't need a puppy with championship bloodlines and the $1,000 price tag. Does anyone know of any breeders around New York that might fit that description? We are an hour south of Albany and are willing to travel 2-3 hours. Thanks! PM me if you would like!
    If you want a very honest and great rep give leslie Frank in Kensington NH a call. We have always had aussies and she is wonderful to deal with.

My cousin lives in Scio, NY and has 3 Aussies - all are rescues, only one she got as a puppy - the other 2 were a little older (younger than 2).

She shows 2 of them in agility, the third had some abuse issues and isn't a very good agility dog as a result.

Her parents have a sheep farm and the dogs are great on the farm also.

I was *trying* to remember Leslie Frank's name......(thanks, nextyear!) I have a pal in MA who has always gotten her Aussies from Leslie. She is wonderful and has GORGEOUS, GOOD dogs!!
    http://www.sealevelaussies.com/

Propwash
    Leslie B Frank
    Propwash Farms
    Kensington, Nh 03833
    (603) 772-4635 propwashfarm@verizon.net

I've met some lovely Propwash dogs.

RE: the $1000 price tag--the people who breed for looks, temperament, performance, health, and soundness, *and* do all the health testing, and puppy socialization are the ones doing it right, and the ones you want to get a dog from. They are also the ones who legitimately command those prices.

If you don't look into rescues (though I hope you do), look for dogs that have titles at *both* ends of their names (i.e. breed champs and some sort of performance title[s]). If you go purely for working lines as one poster suggested above, you might end up with way too much dog, that is, a dog who will only be happy and sane working stock all day long.

You've already looked at the ASCA website, yes?

You could try contacting and/or joining some agility clubs in the area. We often have dogs available for adopting/rehoming posted on our local agility list and Aussies are one of the main breeds posted.

NADAC:

http://www.nadac.com/afrm/nadac_clubs.asp?s=zip

USDAA:

http://www.usdaa.com/gen_findGroup.cfm

And more:

http://www.dogpatch.org/agility/agpage4.cfm
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Quote Originally Posted by citydog View Post
    ] If you go purely for working lines as one poster suggested above, you might end up with way too much dog, that is, a dog who will only be happy and sane working stock all day long.
    I'm going to argue this. My female is a working lines bred aussie. She is the most calm dog in the house, easy to work in agility and on stock. Really fell into work, with a great on/off switch. She doesn't expend any more energy than absolutly necessary. I've got to keep her mind active, but it isn't that hard to do. She takes my laundry from the bedroom and moves it in front of the washer, she picks up all her "brother's" toys and puts them in the toybox, she finds the cat when I can't find her then gives her a bath. The only thing she really has no patience for is "tricks" she doesn't like to roll over, can't sit square for some reason (maybe she just doesn't not sure).

My male who is show/conformation lines is not nearly as focussed. He would act like an idiot if I didn't keep him reined in in the house. He will run laps in the backyard continously for 30 minutes, while my female watches him with a look of "you silly idiot!" He likes agility but can't herd for his life. The concept completly evades him. He is ok in obedience but we don't compete, he is too much of a clown and would pull something silly in the ring. He makes a great therapy dog, he knows left from right (paws), I'm missing things, but you get the point.

If I were to get another one, I would go working lines all the way.
    Last edited by Rhyadawn; Nov. 10, 2008 at 02:12 AM. Reason: forgot the laundry!!!
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!