The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Just read more about this pair that I thought was worth posting.

Honey is 15 hands, and was purchased "green broke" in 2003. She's now 12 or 13. So in five years, Patrick Marley took an 'older' green broke QH to Grand Prix!

Even though there's not an ounce of TB blood in Honey - still - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

Default tb blood

Hi,

I blogged about quarter horses in dressage recently and highlighted this pair. I found the most marvelous picture of them in an australian QH magazine (scroll down a bit):

http://www.aqha.com.au/magazine/coming_up.asp

Love the hind leg activity.

Someone left a comment on the blog article -- they reported that she actually does have TB blood, although it's 3-4 generations back in her pedigree (see http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/honey+bright+dream )

It doesn't diminish the horse/rider's accomplishments at all, but if the pedigree is correct she has a coupla drops of TB in her...
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog

Default one more thing

Boy would i like to see some video footage of this pair. Anyone know of any? Could the rider be persuaded to post footage somewhere?

Patrick is one of my best friends, I will pester him for some video to post. You guys should also know that Patrick is absolutely adorable with this horse--he completely adores her, and spoils her rotten.

Default thanks!

Thanks. And as to spoiling her, she sounds very deserving! a very special girl...

I thought the horse's breeding was unknown. That's how she's registered, if I recall right. I don't think it's at all clear that the horse is 'stock bred'. She looks rather refined and light compared to the most extreme halter or foundation quarter horses. There are a number of different body/proportion types of quarter horses and some of them do very well at dressage. The person who selected her for this work obviously has a good eye for choosing a horse for a job.

Default go a little further

With fame comes demanding fans :-). In the pix she is so nicely round and engaged, she sure looks built to do the job. It would be fun to see a conformation shot.

While not wanting to de-rail this discussion into a bloodlines debate, the following is cross-posted from the NCHorseNews message board (dressage forum):

"... you asked about Honey's bloodlines...I talked to Patrick to get the info. Apparently, the magazine "America's Horse" did an article on Honey back in the spring before she made it to Grand Prix. They researched her bloodlines and found that she had no appendix blood in her for 6 generations. Honey Bright Dream is her registered name. She is by "Buzzy Red Bars" (by Red Counselor). Her dam is "De Hobo". She has a grandparent named "Poco Austin". The Poco name is all I recognize. The "Bars" reference has nothing to do with Three Bars."

'America's Horse' is the AQHA's magazine.

Not sure if they'd be related, but I've seen some lovely Poco Bueno horses that would have made great dressage horses. I like the picture that StacyK links to even better than the one originally posted. Cool little horse.

"Stock bred" quarter horses and "halter bred" quarter horses are completely different animals. Stock bred QH are bred to work. And "stock bred" is also not synonymous with "foundation."

Look at some of the reining videos- those are "stock bred" horses and are hardly bulldog halter horses

I've seen more than a few uphill built quarterhorses in my life that would have been suitable for sporthorse disciplines a few who would have made upper level horses.

That's why I was so outraged when the NA Oldenburg/ Sporthorse breed broke with the Geman Verband because the German's getting a look at some of these mostly TB quarterhorses would allow them into the registry.

That's why I've had a grudge against the NA Oldenburg association every since, would never buy a horse from their registry, and would never breed a horse into their registry.

This GP quarter horse is proof the German's know horseflesh better than the queens who hijacked the Oldenburg registry.

Honey Bright Dream is loaded with TB blood. This from her partial pedigree, and doesn't include the undocumented TB blood which is the foundation of the AQHA.

Three Bars TB: 6x6x9

Man O' War TB: 8x8x9

Spearmint TB: 9x9x8

Teddy TB: 8x9

Concerto TB: 8X9

Plucky Liege TB: 8x9

No matter how much/little TB in her pedigree, it is not much manifested in her looks, and the TB itself is nontraditional as a upper level dressage horse too, so its a moot point.

Someone a few posts back asked about other AHQA Grand Prix dressage horses. Google Shine-a-bit farm for a bunch of them (and Appies, too)

What an awesome and beautiful pair! It gives me hope for my 14.3 Arab mare.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

SisterToSoreFoot, you need to volunteer to update their webpage

yayyyyy!!!!!!!! congrats!
    be kind to your horses mouth!

Honey Bright Dream shows very much her TB blood in my opinion. She has a very Three Bars TB looking head. Have seen many Three Bars grandaughters with heads very much resemble Honey Bright Dream.

The TB doesn't make it to GP as often in this country because the riders lack the ability and refinement to take a hot blooded horse upward.

Honey Bright Dream made it to GP because of Patrick. I'm sure there were many who would have taken a look at Honey before Patrick started with her who would have sworn Honey would never make a GP horse.

Patrick and Honey made a liar out of all of them. I love success stories like Patrick and Honey

The NA Oldenburg/ Sporthorse association says a quarterhorse can't be an ingredient in a GP horse. No doubt they'de have said a black man can't be President of the U.S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Domino View Post
    The TB doesn't make it to GP as often in this country because the riders lack the ability and refinement to take a hot blooded horse upward.

The NA Oldenburg/ Sporthorse association says a quarterhorse can't be an ingredient in a GP horse. No doubt they'de have said a black man can't be President of the U.S.A.
    I have to agree - in fact, I think MANY breeds don't make it to GP because they don't attract GP riders. It becomes a vicious cycle - big name trainers ride WBs, so we don't see other breeds doing FEI, so everyone assumes you need a WB to show FEI, and they buy WBs for their big name trainers, etc. I don't think it is limited to QHs or Tbs (or Paints or Appies or any other breed with three decent gaits).

And - I find it very funny that some registries don't recognize that the QH traces back to - drum roll..... THOROUGHBREDS! And many QHs and Paints are high % Tbred - in fact APHA accepts 100% Tbred (OK, and I don't own either a QH or a Paint, but I am aware of these pretty basic facts ).

Cool story!
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

On the USEF website the horse's dam and sire are listed as 'unknown'. If the sire and dam are unknown, how are the horses bloodlines being researched?