The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default NC Rider earns USDF Gold Medal on "stock bred" QH

With all this talk about Performance Standards and how hard it is for certain non-WB breeds to get the needed scores...I want to brag on an NCDCTA member, Patrick Marley, and his little Quarter Horse mare, Honey Bright Dream. They just earned the Gold Medal in their first season at Grand Prix. "Honey" is not even 15 hands and not an ounce of TB blood for several generations. She scored 63.125% at the Pinehurst Fall Dressage show in September.

I think this was only his second show at Grand Prix!

Congratulations to Patrick!

Jennifer Mitchell
    President, NCDCTA

That's so exciting! I met Patrick in Raleigh 2007 when he was doing the PSG and I1 with the mare. We were stabled together and had so much fun. I was so impressed with them both. Congrats to a great pair! The hard work is paying off!

That is so refreshing and motivating. Congrats to him. I would love to see a pic of this rider/horse combo if you have any!

Congrats! As an owner of a TB who was often mistaken for a QH (15h2 on a tall day, compact and broad) I am so happy for this team! My GP horse did nicely as well, and just want to say again major CONGRATS!!

Quote Originally Posted by JennNC View Post
    With all this talk about Performance Standards and how hard it is for certain non-WB breeds to get the needed scores...

Jennifer Mitchell
    President, NCDCTA

Jennifer, because you are President of NCDTA, also wanted to clarify the concept of using scores relate to the Performance Standards objections in the following ways:

- the current method of the dressage test, with the scores earned there, cannot differentiate bad riding from good riding.

- the study finds an external regulation standard is not necessary, the study shows rider's regulate themselves upon receiving low scores.

More facts for your review can be found at http://www.pvda.org/default.aspx Back to Patrick and Honey!

Go to www.sportingservices.net to see a picture of Patrick and Honey.

Jennifer

Lookie what I found!

http://www.jumpthemoonphoto.com/g/12...y_bright_dream

These aren't GP pictures, I don't think, but I wanted to see more of them

Quote Originally Posted by sm View Post
    Jennifer, because you are President of NCDTA, also wanted to clarify the concept of using scores relate to the Performance Standards objections in the following ways:

- the current method of the dressage test, with the scores earned there, cannot differentiate bad riding from good riding.

- the study finds an external regulation standard is not necessary, the study shows rider's regulate themselves upon receiving low scores.

More facts for your review can be found at http://www.pvda.org/default.aspx Back to Patrick and Honey!
    sm, I am perfectly familiar with the concept, the data findings, and the arguments against the Performance Standards.

My point in sharing was two fold...first of all I am just simply so proud of Patrick's accomplishment with this horse. Secondly, he is just one more proof of how good dressage training can take an average horse (and in Honey's case, one that was definitely NOT bred for competitive dressage) to a respectable level of success in the show ring.

Mainly, I just wanted to brag on them!!!

By the way, if there is another NCDCTA member out there who may have achieved a similar success, I surely didn't mean to give big kudos to one and not others!!! You guys feel free to inform me of these things! Also, there was a nice write up about them in our NCDCTA newsletter by Sue Smithson of Sporting Services.

Jennifer

Thanks,
    Jennifer

What a cute horse! Congrats to Patrick!

Heartfelt congratulations to Patrick. Nice man and a lovely rider!
    And if you've ever heard him talk about Honey, you know he truly cares for that horse.

Congratulations to Patrick and Honey!!!

Great photos. That is amazing and refreshing. Thanks for sharing.

Donna Ray

Awesome Picture!

Further proof that Dressage will benefit any horse

As someone who is now in TX, I love hearing about QHs doing well at disciplines other than reining, cutting, and so forth (they are MAGNIFICENT at these, btw). Last year at Rolex, a QH competed, and now this. It warms the cockles of my heart--and they are indeed a lovely pair. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah Patrick and Honey!! I have helped Patrick set up rings and shows before and he is just the nicest guy. And I have watched them both come up thru the ranks. I love Honey!! Always great to have NC well represented.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

"Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Congrats to Patrick and Honey--WELL DONE!

What a special horse and a talented rider! Congrats.

This is a lovely pair, I remember them from the Asheville show a few years ago. Such a great partnership, all around!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Not all "stock" horses should be discounted. Some are quite suited to the work. Some QHs and APHAs are quite baroque due to the spanish blood in their ancestry.

It's WONDERFUL to see them out there DOING it!
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

There is hope for me and my little QH!!
    God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses. ~R.B. Cunninghame Graham

Does anybody know how many QH have made it to GP in the past? This is the first one I've heard of.