The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So/Central CA: Stunning OTTB Dressage Prospect

A completely stunning three year old TB gelding, unraced, has proven unwilling to race - indeed, quirky at the track - but loves life in an arena (not open spaces like that pesky racetrack), has been restarted under saddle, and quickly learned some basic dressage moves.

He is gorgeous, and his owner has walked away. The TB farm at which he is boarded - now at the expense of the farm - will pay his bills for two more weeks, before humanely euthanizing him.

Pics and more info are here:
    www.sctbrescue.org/courtesylistings.htm

California home sought - and references/site check/adoption contract required.

Free to a good home.

has anyone spoken for him yet? Someone pick him up! If you dont get anyone and it is coming down to the wire, I'll try and work something out, pm me if it starts to get there.

Nothing so far - except one private email - possibly from the poster above?

Crazy stuff right now in CA. Beautiful young TBs going for free from owners that can no longer pay the bills - and in a racing industry that in this state is in enormous trouble, quite apart from the general economic environment.

Bumping for Irunaton (which he didn't ) Didn't like it one bit. Loves his new dressage arena training...that's what he seems to love.

ya, that e-mail was from me, just figured I'd send one incase the post wasn't checked. Horrible that young sound horses are just being dumped and put to sleep! Hopefully someone will step up soon. Like I said if no one has within the next week, I'll see what I can do, but it will be tough, although stretching the budget a bit is much better than the alternative for that horse.

Thumbs up Free - Free TB Listing from the Horse and Bloodhorse!

You might want to get on the new list!

http://www.thehorse.com/Horses/Available.aspx

Thoroughbred Adoption Service Launched for FREE Horses
    by: Kimberly S. Brown, Editor
    November 01 2008, Article # 13006

Bloodhorse.com and TheHorse.com are teaming up to bring Thoroughbreds
    in need of homes to the attention of hundreds of thousands of horse
    owners across the United States. Creating this database was the
    brainchild of Antony Beck of Gainesway Farm.

With the Thoroughbred Adoption Services, any registered Thoroughbred,
    of any age, is eligible to be placed on this database of FREE horses.
    The database will be housed on TheHorse.com and will be promoted in
    the Thoroughbred industry by The Blood-Horse and Bloodhorse.com and
    in the pleasure horse and sport horse industries by The Horse and
    TheHorse.com.

Talking

bump!

Too bad you need a CA home for him, I'm in Southern OR and would take him in a heartbeat if he was determined sound/injury free. I lived in No CA for many years and started loads of youngsters for different owners that sent their horses on to Golden Gate and Bay Meadows. If you'd consider an Oregon home please let me know.
    Patti

The in-state restriction on adopters is coming from the agent/farm I'm afraid.
    Sorry about that...

If we aren't able to place him in state in the next two weeks, I'd do whatever I could to take him in - and once the non-profit has ownership, the "in-state" restriction on adopters could be lifted. However - I have two horses in this position right now (another gelding listed right here has less than a week) and we simply can't take them all. I am fundraising one horse at a time to take the ones I do

I am starting to look for a replacement (sold my schoolmaster), but I am in southern Arizona.

Is the must live in CA a firm deal?

See my post above - I'm afraid it's a farm/agent restriction that I can't do anything about, sorry!

bump

another bump *sigh*. still no takers?

Default its not from lack of trying!

The thing I don't get is the farm/agent restriction that would rather see the horse euthanised than go out of state? Myself and one other poster were both interested in him. Why have a restriction like that when CA is inundated with surplus TB's. There are so many tracks in CA between the bigger tracks and the fair race meets. It just seems a shame to me if there is someone willing to take the horse and give him a home.

I have a student that would be an ideal match for this gelding, but she will be leaving the state in a few years for college and to compete in the East. We're located in the So Cal mountains.

I almost got a gelding who had the same type of restrictions, which made him a free lease, rather than me actually owning him. Sadly, he went to a bad place and was put to sleep. His first time scholing XC he was jumping around Novice fences. Brave as can be and a phenomenal mind, but in the wrong hands... So very sad.

PM coming
    Keep your feet on the ground, but always look to the stars!

sassyfilly Guest

Default Miss information

Thank you to everyone concerned about the gelding, HE WILL NOT BE PUT DOWN, and it should not be stated as such. There is a temporary place for him to go and we should make sure we find him a good home. The farm is not going to mismanage him in anyway.
    Thanks!

We are only going off of what was stated in the original post about this horse!

quote:

"He is gorgeous, and his owner has walked away. The TB farm at which he is boarded - now at the expense of the farm - will pay his bills for two more weeks, before humanely euthanizing him. "

I am sure everything will be done to see he gets a great home.

Hi Sassfilly, it's me Caroline.

Thanks to everyone here for contacting us about this gelding. He has a place to go at this point and so is safe.

The new information regarding the farm and owners intentions is very welcome.