The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone used a tent/canvas/carport building thingey to store hay?

I can't go through tarping one more year, its so windy here it shreds them, I'll only be getting about 30 to 60 bales at a time, there's a spot between my little barn any my house that's concrete, and I was thinking about one of those carport type thingeys you can buy for around $200-$300.

Anyone used them before, will it fall apart in the wind, is it better than tarping, it going to look wonderfully crackery but who cares?!

Thanks, need to start figuring this stuff out before winter gets here!

I do and I store 150 bales in it.

It works perfectly well for the job and we have some pretty heavy snow loads here in the winter. The only thing is that the tempo car shelter is not UV-proof and my hay gets sun bleached. However, it doesn't change a thing to its nutritional value or anything... it just won't look good as long as in a traditional building
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

I have two. The first one handled the job so well, I added a second this fall to store a total of 250 bales. They're not attractive, but they do the job. We had pretty high winds on several occasions, lots of rain and light snow and the original one worked a charm. Our longterm plan is to build a storage building, but I'm pretty pleased with these (functionally if not aesthetically!) in the meantime.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

I have used one for many years now (7 I think) BUT don't waste your money on the cheapey one! The cover WILL rip after about 3 years. That happened to me and then I bought the more expensive one, for like $900 from Coverall MUCH better made and a 15 year warranty on the cover, plus it has a "skylight"! We put plastic down on the ground, then put pallets over that and store the hay on the pallets. The one I have is a dark green it looks pretty nice actually, also get the anchors that screw in, or drill it into your concrete pad, otherwise the wind will be a problem.

Thanks, sounds good for what I need!

Now then, can anyone tell me the best quality for money one out there? I was thinking of looking at TSC? I really can only spend around $200 for it, cause I have to still buy the hay to put in it!

The Costco by me has a very nice heavy duty one -- holds up well with Florida wind. I bought a 3rd one last month for about $150 including tax.

I put them out for the horses to use as shelters in some of my pastures (they did not like to share the permament ones already there) -- horses love them and they hold up well. They like these better than the permament ones. They come with sides that you can use but I only use the top.

My parents used the costco one an loved it- they were worried abotu the winds where we are too- so dad screwed the feet to railroad tie runners- it worked really well, an he ha no problems with it..

I bought a big one (16 x 20) from King Canopy and used it for three years in central NC with no troubles...however...I then moved to Tidewater Virginia...home of the infamous Nor'easters, pancake flat land, tropical depressions and the never ceasing wind. My lovely canopy did not survive 3 months here our first winter! We did salvage the frame and the roof piece but the wall pieces were pretty messed up. If you have a sheltered area to install it and you are not in a high wind area, you might be OK. Consider snow load or ice also as a potential canopy killer.

We did have it well anchored the but walls themselves got ripped from the frame by the wind. We can have blows up to hurricane force here just from a Nor'Easter so I guess it was a bit ambitious of us to even try it.

Whatever you do, buy the one with the reinforced steel pipe frame. Don't get the PVC or light framed ones. I think ours cost $700 back in 2002 or thereabouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I bought a big one (16 x 20) from King Canopy and used it for three years in central NC with no troubles...however...I then moved to Tidewater Virginia...home of the infamous Nor'easters, pancake flat land, tropical depressions and the never ceasing wind. My lovely canopy did not survive 3 months here our first winter! We did salvage the frame and the roof piece but the wall pieces were pretty messed up. If you have a sheltered area to install it and you are not in a high wind area, you might be OK. Consider snow load or ice also as a potential canopy killer.

We did have it well anchored the but walls themselves got ripped from the frame by the wind. We can have blows up to hurricane force here just from a Nor'Easter so I guess it was a bit ambitious of us to even try it.

Whatever you do, buy the one with the reinforced steel pipe frame. Don't get the PVC or light framed ones. I think ours cost $700 back in 2002 or thereabouts.
    Since I am in eastern NC we get those durned nor'easters too! The heavy duty Coverall we bought holds up, the cheapie did not!

Now a Coverall would be Ok. My King Canopy garage tent is quite a different beast! Is your coverall round on top? I bet that would hold up a lot better. My canopy has straight high sides.

We had one of the metal carport types and unfortunately it went flying one day in strong winds. It was pegged into the ground using 8 2 foot spikes. Thank goodness there were two trees that stopped it or it would of taken out the horse trailer. My husband loved getting that phone call at work...."honey you'll never guess what happened....the carport blew away.....yep the whole thing just picked up and took off". We talked to the insurance company about submitting a claim and replacing but decided with the strong winds we'd pass.
    The essential joy of being with horses is that it brings us in contact with the rare elements of grace, beauty, spirit, and fire. ~Sharon Ralls Lemon

Default Maybe buy used ?

Check Craigslist or your local online "stuff exchange". You might be able to get a better quality used one for what you can spend than a new one. Here in Northern California there is a never ending supply of used ones on Craigslist for cheap. Good luck.

A member of the "spent all last winter fixing the tarps covering my precious hay" club