The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default disposing of needles

Curious, for those who give their own injections, how do you dispose of the sharps afterwards?

Bend them up so they are unusable, then throw them in the dumpster (not the trash can) inside box or another container. Was wondering if it was possible to get a sharpies container without having some type of medical or nursing license???? hmmmm.

If I just had one needle, I'd bend it up or break it in half, put it inside something else sealed, then throw it away in the trash. If I had multiple needles, like from having to give antibiotics or something over days, I'd save them and either give them to the vet or even take them to my regular doctor next time to dispose of them in the biohazard box. I know that the horse needles don't have the same disease potential that human needles could, but why take the chance of scaring someone?

You can get biohazard boxes, I'm sure --- if nothing else, ask your vet about one if you use a lot of injectables.

Donk

my vet has me put them in a milk jug or coke bottle and I give her the bottle/jug when it's full for her to dispose of. no charge.
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

I mainly use vials of vaccines, so I bought syringes and needles separately. The needles come in their own little plastic case, so I put them back in the plastic case afterwards and throw them in the trash. If I forget and toss the little case, then I take the needle off the syringe, pull the plunger out, put the needle into the syringe pointy-side towards the plunger, and smash the plunger back into the syringe. It secures the needle into the syringe so there is no risk of a needlestick for anyone handling the garbage.

I have seen people use a 3L coke bottle or a milk jug as a sharps drop as well.

I toss mine in the trash.

When I worked for a small animal vet (summer job when I was a kid), our sharps boxes were opened when they were full and dumped directly into the dumpster.

Just like Hampton Bay said: Use a gallon jug or soda bottle. Keep it capped. When it's full, set it aside for the next time your vet visits. They'll gladly take it for proper, safe disposal with their sharps collection.

Please don't just throw them away. Despite mechanization, there are still human hands involved in waste disposal/management. If they get stuck, they're faced with HIV, Hep and other testing.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I put them in an old soda bottle in the tack room, and when that's full I take it to work and dump it in the biohazard/sharp box there.
    Click here before you buy.

Anyone can order a sharps container: http://www2.mooremedical.com/index.c...=ProductName|0 (for example).

Personally, I break the needle off and recap it (bad me) and trash it. If I wanted to take the responsible route , I'd get a sharps container and ask my vet to take it when it was full.
    Proud member of the EDRF

When I only have a few I've asked my vet if she would dispose of them as I know she has a sharps container. Otherwise I take them to our hazardous waste dump site.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Walgreens or CVS sell small, red sharps containers. You'll find them along with diabetic supplies (alcohol swabs, glucose tablets). One has lasted me a few years; works great for needles.

I carefully recap them (bad me!) and then take them to work and drop them in our sharps containers.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I give them to my vet once I have a good collection. Chucking them in the trash is dangerous, thoughtless and just plain lazy. Sheesh, talk about personal responsibility.

Thumbs down please people, don't throw needles in the garbage, broken or otherwise.

get a sharps container, or collect them and give them to your vet or friendly nurse.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

We always use an old detergent bottle. Rinse the excess detergent out and it's ready to go. Then when it's full we take it to the dog's allergist and he disposes of it for us.

I break the sharp piece off the syringe, and put the cover on it and i dispose of it in a garbage can or whatever is nearest,

Another vote for the milk jug - we always keep one around or a 2-liter soda bottle. When it is full, we capped it and throw it out.

Default Please do not throw away!

We take them to our vet clinic.

Another vote to please not throw them away! An unsuspecting stick will cause some poor person years of worry. I do not know of a vet that would turn you down if you asked to add them to their vehicle container.

Heck, I have seen sharps containers in public restrooms!

Default people, there are alternatives out there. try this website

http://www.safeneedledisposal.org/dispcenters

it'll provide you with your local neighborhood organizations who are trying to keep sharps out of the garbage. please, please reconsider the manner in which you dispose of needles. it's wrong on so many levels to be just throwing the needles in the garbage (whether in a jar or not) and i'm SHOCKED how many of you don't seem to see anything wrong w/ this in 2008!!!!

read:

In one year, approximately 9 million syringe users will administer at least 3 billion injections outside traditional health care facilities. Nearly two-thirds of these "at-home" injectors are poeple with diabetes and patients administering home health treatment for allergies, infertility, arthritis, migraines, HIV, and Hepatitis C and other ailments. Many self-injectors are unaware of safe disposal methods available to them and simply throw their used needles in the trash or flush them down the toilet, posing a risk of injury or potential infection from diseases such as Hepatitis B or C and HIV to anyone who encounters them.

Current EPA guidelines, suggest disposing all sharps (needles, lancets, syringes) in a household plastic container or coffee can, secure the lid and write do not recycle on the outside and simply deposit in household trash. Unfortunately, this does not take the needle out of the waste stream – it simply ends up in the general household trash putting neighbors, children and waste workers at risk of needle stick injuries. "
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I put mine in an empty wine bottle and then recork it and throw it away.