The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Loading Dose

I am adding a joint supplement to my horse's diet. How many of you do the loading dose, how many skip it and go straight to the maintenance dose? No real issues, just for preventative use. My vet recommended Glycoflex II, anyone have info/opinions on this supp? Thanks.

If it's prevention, I wouldn't bother loading.

It it's for a known issue, and you're just starting out, load up.

If it's for a known issue and you're changing supplements to one that's fairly similar, skip loading.

If it's for a known issue and you're changing supps to one that's fairly different, load up.

I think that covered them all

What if you are switching products with a month off inbetween?

I'd consider a re-start after a month to fall into the "just starting" categories

If you are not going to feed it correctly with the loading dose, don't bother feeding it.

If you are just adding it to his diet, do the loading dose.
    R.I.P Vanny 26 yr QH Stallion 4/11/82 - 5/8/08, Scout 28 yr Paint Cross Gelding, Glistening 11 yr Arab/Saddlebred Mare

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry Chick View Post
    If you are not going to feed it correctly with the loading dose, don't bother feeding it.
    Why do you feel preventive dosing requires a loading dose?

Why do you feel it's a total waste of time and money if you load?

If you are not going to follow the instructions correctly, why waste your money.

It is no different than being a prescription of antibiotics and stop taking them about halfway through because you feel just -- then you relapse to worse than before.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by jcotton View Post
    If you are not going to follow the instructions correctly, why waste your money.

It is no different than being a prescription of antibiotics and stop taking them about halfway through because you feel just -- then you relapse to worse than before.
    Sorry - not a good comparison. You finish a complete course of antibiotics, you don't start by taking a larger dose then decrease the amount.

IMO a "loading dose" is a waste of time. Horse's body will not metabolize a double dose any quicker than the maintenance dose in the 2 week period most of the supplements recommend for the loading dose.

Unless a vet specifies doubling the maintenance dose don't bother, it's just a way to sell more product.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Sorry - not a good comparison. You finish a complete course of antibiotics, you don't start by taking a larger dose then decrease the amount.
    I guess you've never done a z pak, huh?

To the OP: I would do the loading dose. For me, this sort of things falls into the "can't hurt, might help" category.

Unless a vet specifies doubling the maintenance dose don't bother, it's just a way to sell more product.
    Yup. Also a way to make the product sound more impressive and drug-like.
    Click here before you buy.

I'm with JB.

Of course, I also don't shampoo my hair twice just because the bottle says to...

(And so far as I know, we aren't worried about arthritis becoming MSM-resistant, so the antibiotics comparison is way off-base.)
    Proud member of the EDRF

Quote Originally Posted by jcotton View Post
    Remember, it's instructions for something that may or may not actually help the horse. SOME things DO benefit from loading - it's proven that MSM does a better job if you start at a double dose for a week or two. It's not proven that glucosamine or chondroitin do. But, since we're talking about a week usually, it might help *that* horse at *that* time. But just because you don't load the first week or so does not mean the product won't work. It might just mean it takes longer to work. Or maybe it doesn't work at all for that horse at that time.

Starting something, then stopping before you're done, is entirely different from starting something that might or might not be doubled up in the beginning. Antibiotics have well-documented half lives and that's what the dosage and frequency of dosing is based on. To cut short a course of antibiotics, or not give full doses, leads to bacteria that is resistant to that antibiotic. You leave super-bugs to reproduce which is why a relapse is usually the case, and ofen worse, AND now resistant to the drug that should have knocked it out to begin with.

I don't think a horse's body develops a resistance to chondroitin sulfate or MSM

this always interested me too

we're told to change feed a handful at a time over several weeks to allow the gut bacteria to adjust, but it's fine to bung loading doses into the same gut.

it puzzles me

i don't give loading doses either though i'm open to being proved wrong!

Changing over 5lb of one grain product to another is vastly different from feeding a couple of ounces of just about anything.

Even suddenly giving a (healthy) horse a pound of whole oats (3c more or less) isn't going to send him into digestive upset.

You all ready for this? My three horses get twice the loading dose. Of a joint supplement. Year-round. Now before you get worried, yes, I have consulted with my vet about this and he assures me i do not have to worry about it reaching toxicity levels.

The reasoning behind it? In reality, horses need that much (of the paticular, very well known brand I use) for it to be helpful. It is an expensive treatment, but they are sound and happy. They are not when they only get the loading dose or regular dose. My wallet is considerably lighter but it is worth it when they gallop in for their breakfasts and still tear out of their stalls every morning. They are retired from riding, except for a 20 minute, once a week 5- year-old-child walk/trot lesson in the fall.

In_ - no flames from me! Doses on the bottle tend to be for a 1000/1100lb horse. Bigger horses NEED more to get the same benefits. Some individual situations, for whatever reason - absorption issues among them - need even more.