The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default As De Villagna offspring

anyone anyone
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

I think you are referring to As di Villagana. If so, two of his offspring are in the November Hanoverian Auction #'s 12 and 81. http://service.vit.de/pfauktion/pfliste/list?id=2170
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe

I knew something was missing from the name...looked odd. One in the same though.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

Not yet, but I have two mares in foal for 2009 His frozen was excellent! Both took the first attempt on one dose post ovulation.

Hopefully someone will share their photos. I would like to know what kind of temperament he is throwing.

Just saw this--I have a 4/22 filly by As di--this photo was taken in early November...she is very intelligent and willing so far. I can't speak from experience, because she is our first foal. She has not given us any problems, is very straight and correct, has a very pretty head, and moves well. She will be in the Zangersheide registry.

As di Ani Z, As di Villagana (Han) /Camille (TB) by Prize Ring:

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=DSC_0285.jpg

FerrariySchumi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tuckawayfarm View Post
    Not yet, but I have two mares in foal for 2009 His frozen was excellent! Both took the first attempt on one dose post ovulation.

Hopefully someone will share their photos. I would like to know what kind of temperament he is throwing.
    Wow- this sounds great. When is their due-date. Where did you get the semen from As di Villagana?

There was a filly by As di Villagana born at my vet's farm about a month ago. She is very correct, tall, and nicely put together. She is a pretty bay, and looked very much like her dam, who is a jumper bred mare.

I had a very late start last year. The first isn't due until July and the second is due in August. The semen is available through Superior Equine Sires and is really reasonable, especially considering I only needed one dose for each mare.

I'm surprised he hasn't been used more often by Hanoverian jumper breeders. My mares are talented jumpers themselves, so I'm excited to see what they throw.

Gaaaahhhh!! I want to use him so badly!!! I think you can get semen from most of the importers if they bring in Celle stock, or you can get it from the former owner, Pato Muente. I think he was frozen by Performance Sires here in the US. However, the price difference is HUGE.

I found video of several offspring on Youtube, and the majority jumped pretty darn well!

I cannot speak to the foals, but we watched him win the big Grand Prix the last day of HITS-Ocala and he was spectacular....athletic, scopey, rideable. He really attracted attention.

I myself would like to see and hear more about his progeny.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

sharoncook Guest

I am the proud owner of an As Di Villagana Gelding. I bought him as a 3yo and I his temperament is fantastic. Very sensible, intellegent, generous and honest horse. My concern with this sire would be the conformation anolimies that have been seen with the front legs of his offspring. My lad is piegeon toed and I have seen articles on another as di villagana gelding - as di bambino that also has a crooked leg. Could this just be one of those things and not related to the sire at all? I'm by no means a expert on how these things occur so for all you breeder out there I'm sure you understand this better than me and can make that call. I'm just advising of my expereience with owning one of his offspring. Lets not forget that some of the best eventing horses - toy town, supreme rock have their confiomation quirks just like my boy.

For his compromised conformation - his heart makes up for it. I would recommend this stallion and would buy another one of his progeny.

Front legs are one of the least heritable characteristics if I am recalling that correctly, so I would not be concerned to hear of a few (or in this case two) offspring with crooked front legs. Many limb deviations can be easily corrected in foals when treated in a timely manner.

My mares have straight legs, so I will be happy to offer my first-hand experience in three months.
    Last edited by tuckawayfarm; Apr. 15, 2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: typo

FWIW, the As Di filly that was born at my vet's is very correct. She is really lovely.

Loved As di from the first time I saw him. I've seen about 4-5 of his 3yr+ offspring and liked them all (that's rare). Besides jumping ability, the offspring I've seen are well-balanced and have his kind eye and intelligence. They love to jump and are eager to have at it. They are "warmblood with a motor" types.

Default A son of As Di!

Anyone heard of As Di Volare? Wonderful, well tempered, stallion. Only knew him for a short time as he sold at WEF in 2008.

Here are a couple of photos of a stud colt by him that was born back in March! Probably one of the most beautiful stud colts I've ever seen. He'll probably grey out like his Mom.

As Di Almanac
    http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.ph...9&id=506924538

http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.ph...2&id=506924538

As for As Di himself, he's pretty much my favorite! Pato has a mare in foal by him currently as well as a 2008 baby by him on the ground. As Di Absolut. She's a perfect example of how good his semen is. It had been left out by accident over night and the vet said it was no good, but Pato told her to go ahead and see if it would take anyway. The mare took and Abby was born last April! He also has a son and a daughter of him that he competes with currently. There's As Di Athena and As Di Cinzano. Both very pretty, very sweet, in fact Cinzano is probably my favorite personality wise.
    Last edited by jse; Nov. 11, 2009 at 05:35 PM.

sharoncook Guest

All you guys amd gals that actually know ADV or have ADV off spring, I'm curious to know if my lad's quirky personality is a family trait. Does anyone else find that there most activate part are their lips! Obviously not in a nasty way, he doesn't have a nasty bone in his body, my lad will undo the velco on my long boots, tip over wheel barrows, pick up brushes.... everything seems to end up in his mouth! Its not through lack of field time either or boredom.... sheer inquisitiveness or mischief. I wouldn't change it for world, I love his character, so does everyone else...possible with the exception of those that have to clear up the muck he's spilt!

Sorry to go off topic slightly, I'm just so pleased that others share my admiration of this stallion and have first hand expereince of his progeny. Its great to be able to swap stories.

Quote Originally Posted by sharoncook View Post
    All you guys amd gals that actually know ADV or have ADV off spring, I'm curious to know if my lad's quirky personality is a family trait. Does anyone else find that there most activate part are their lips! Obviously not in a nasty way, he doesn't have a nasty bone in his body, my lad will undo the velco on my long boots, tip over wheel barrows, pick up brushes.... everything seems to end up in his mouth! Its not through lack of field time either or boredom.... sheer inquisitiveness or mischief. I wouldn't change it for world, I love his character, so does everyone else...possible with the exception of those that have to clear up the muck he's spilt!

Sorry to go off topic slightly, I'm just so pleased that others share my admiration of this stallion and have first hand expereince of his progeny. Its great to be able to swap stories.
    His son, Cinzano, isn't mouthy but he does like to lick you! And like your gelding, he's about the sweetest horse ever! As far as As Di, from what I remember he wasn't mouthy at all. I never spent a huge amount of time with him, he sold about 3 months after I met him! But I remember putting water in his stall as well as hay and leading him out to the paddock and he was always a gentleman. Loved him to death.

Are his offspring usually good jumpers as well ?

I Haven't heard of many who are of competition age, but there are a couple on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLNAHEoW1NY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmVmQnpbBRc

My gorgeous As di daughter, As di Ani Z will be joined by a full sibling next year. Their dam is my TB mare Camille, who is a lovely jumper, and carries wonderful lines herself. Her pedigree is like walking through an antique shop, both her parents were quite elderly when she was conceived. She is by Prize Ring (a Buckpasser stallion), out of a successful AAA circuit junior jumper mare that many remember, Crystal Glen (Ronnie Beard trained her), who contributes a wonderful set of genes to the mix, with lines from Boran, by Mourne (Boran is the sire of Laudanum--->all important to the Selle Francais).

There are quite a few As Di offspring competing, and many videos available on YouTube. When you search for info on him, you have to account for the variations in how "As di" is spelled/formatted.... There videos of As Di Villagana, as well as of Asdi Villagana--they are all "As di" as he is known.

Most offspring have kept the prefix (it's the French past tense of "said," and perhaps has a meaning in Italian; he was named by Italian owners, at Villagana Agricola, http://www.villagana.it/VG_main_eng.asp, who purchased him from Germany).

There is an approved son in Europe called "Asti's Amsterdam," (apparrently a phonetic rendition of As di/ Asdi) who is very successful, jumping at 1.50 presently. To keep track of him, you have to search using "Asti" or "Asti's" or "Astis."

http://www.pferdestruck.de/Hengst.htm

(Just noticed that A. Amsterdam is out of a mare named "Camilla," goodness, I suppose I shouldn't mind if that leads to confusion down the line....)

I wish I could keep both of ours...one or the other will be offered for sale, however, as our equine children will have to take a back seat to the human ones, and between our two daughters, we are looking at college tuition bills for the next 8 years!