The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Alright.... I am New... suggestions?

Been posting on COTH for about a year now. But I am recently interested in Dressage... more importantly 3-day.
    But I have sucked it up, and going for my first combined test.... next weekend- Ahhh!

Besides learning the actual test.... what can I do to prepare?

Exercises,movements,stretches, anything?

My horse is very nice.... Willing to please, soft and flexes nicely into the bends. I have been told on more then one occassion we both should pursue dressage.
    I tend to ride off my seat and leg anyway. I hate hard hands and stiff bodies. So naturally my horse and I move very well together.
    Very nice mover with lots of exstension, and he would roll up into a ball if I asked.
    He is just a kick butt little guy.
    Started working on the test yesterday. And it felt really nice, I could really feel him under me, thinking of what I was asking. What can I do with him to further his mind. And further our skills?
    I currently do serpentines plenty of circles, and I always bend into corners and into everything I do!
    Just for a background. I have done Reining,Roping,WP,Huntseat,H/J,and cross country. All in a snaffle.
    Super athletic horse, and I ride completely off my natural aids. Like I said... super soft in everything I ask him for.

So do we have what it takes to enter your world ?- lol
    Zook Suit Riot- Mustang/Paint Gelding
    Proud member of the KELTON'S Crew
    CousinVinsky-Skinny Vinny JockeyClub/Alydar Grandson.Gelding Chestnut.
    CUnex2zdai- 2008 Buttermilk Buckskin Colt -ABHA/IBHA

Welcome!!

One suggestion, have you taken a look at the actual scoring sheet? (Not just the list of movements). The score sheet gives you a better idea of what the judge will be looking for, and exactly how it will be scored.

Ride the test in your mind a lot, so you will be setting up for your next move as you're finishing the previous one.

Have fun!!

Welcome, I've been doing it for about a year now!! I do c/ts and just dressage, its SOOOO much fun, I love dressage now. I would suggest if your horse is not a nervous horse don't ride the test to much or he will anticipate your next move. Work on shoulder in and leg yields which will help him loosen up more and be on your cues. I have found at lower levels that judges like to see a nice steady tempo ride, so if your guy isn't steady in his tempo really work on that. Don't make your transitions abrupt either, they will get you for that. If you are coming to A at a trot start preparing for the walk at A in the corner and make it smooth, don't wait till your there and go WALK The usually like promptness but not at the sacrifice of the down transition or up transition. DON"T GET BEHIND THE VERTICAL, my guy started every once in a while falling behind and boy I got burned for that, come to find out we needed more forward and we have fixed that problem. Be relaxed and have fun. Let us know how it goes.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Definitely.... I used to be a ... dressage is for weirdo's person... But I am Liking the connection with my boy!
    He isn't a super nervous horse... nor is he nervous at all. But he is a LOT of horse when he wants to be. I love that about him. So I figured working with him on other things besides the test would be good. He has a LOT of mind, and new things excite him. He always takes it and goes... and exceeds. At home he can be a goofball. But always when he enters the ring, he gets into kickbutt focus mode. I am really looking for things to do with him at home, that will help improve while keeping his ever growing mind working. I have done Leg yields and shoulder ins before. But once I taught it to him, and had him good in it. I moved on. Reintroducing him to that would be good!
    I Ran the whole test yesterday once, the rest of the time I worked on each individual movement.
    Thanks for the suggestion Anselcat. I had already started looking at the score sheet. My friend here at work told me to focus on that a lot.
    Last edited by zooksuitriot; Nov. 5, 2008 at 12:16 PM.

The connection is great and I just LOVE getting a card that tells you exactly what you did right and what you need to work on. It's so nice knowing okay we need to balance more to the right or slow down our canter etc.... Will this be your first dressage show ever?

Anselcat, is there anywhere to see scoring sheets online?

Ambrey,

I think you will find this thread to be quite useful. It's stickied on the top of this Forum: http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=117083

Good luck and have fun!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Ambrey,

I think you will find this thread to be quite useful. It's stickied on the top of this Forum: http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=117083

Good luck and have fun!
    LOL, when did that get there?

Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question, please continue with your regularly scheduled programming.

(p.s. OP, I hope you enjoy dressage as much as I do!)

Yes indeed ... first show

Quote Originally Posted by zooksuitriot View Post
    Yes indeed ... first show
    Pictures required

Oh please let us know how you do and photos if possible. What level are you going to ride?

Intro Test B.... from 2006 I believe.
    I know baby stuff.... I wanted to try something harder, but MajMeadows says to stick with the easy!

Don't worry about starting with the baby stuff. Everyone has to start there sometime!!
    Just relax and have fun. Do post pictures!!!!