The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    IcePonyGoddess Guest

Default Please Wear Your Helmet

I got a email in my inbox this morning about a woman who died over the weekend in NY, due to a horrible accident with head injuries. One of her friends sent an email...asking everyone to consider wearing a helmet. I posted that email on my blog, too long to post here. Please visit my blog to read the email.

Please consider wearing a helmet and use a breastcollar on your horse.

We're all important and loved! {{{HUGS}}}

My Blog

Buffalo, NY

I started wearing my helmet consistently when I started leasing (and eventually purchased) a 15yo green OTTB mare who did not care about my safety.
    A woman at the barn where I board recently bought a new horse. She said that she can tell he's not used to people who wear helmets because he stuck his nose in it and thought it was something to hold food.

East Central Mississippi

I wouldn't be so sure he's not used to helmet-wearing people. My daughter's gelding always has to sniff her helmet before she puts it on. I suppose he's giving her his own special seal of approval. <lol>

Maybe this dude was fed treats out of a helmet???? sylvia
    Never explain yourself to someone who is committed to misunderstanding you.

I started wearing my helmet consistently when I was 13 (many yrs ago) after fracturing my skull in a nasty riding accident. I was very lucky and have always used it since... not to mention my parents made me after that. Now I feel funny with out it.

Central NY

No kidding.
    I wear my helmet EVERY time I ride and had a nasty accident yesterday in the field. Thankfully, my head never touched the ground and my feet came out of the stirrups as I was launched into orbit. Otherwise, I may have been dragged home by terrified horse and then not even a helmet would have saved me.
    But I also wear chaps and I believe 100% they help protect and cushion your legs in a fall too. My ankle is hurt, but not broken.

As I reiterated my story to my Mom (lives near that NY fatality) she said the news didn't say anything about that woman wearing a helmet.

Yup, just wear the darn things. Hot, itchy, and they make for a bad hair day everytime. But worth it.

I had an on-the-ground incident with a horse that got tangled in a lead rope and it left me with a moderate concussion WITH my helmet on. Doctor said if I'd not had my helmet on I'd be dead or a veggie. Now it's a helmet EVERY ride, EVERY time.
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

Dallas, Georgia

How absolutely horrible for her family and friends to have had to witness that

I've never NOT worn a helmet. It just would not occur to me! I started with an old "traditional" hard shell hunt cap back in the dark ages and just continued to move up as technology improved.

What actually cemented it for me was a dear friend/trainer back in the early 80's. She had just upgraded to a jockey helmet the week before.....

--She was exercising a friend's TB who was a known nut job. She had to use friend's saddle since it was the only one that fit him. Stirrups were a 1/2" small but she figured, "Eh, I'm only doing ring work so I'll be fine." NOT....

He was being a little silly, but nothing out of the ordinary for him. Once he settled, she figured "Ok, a few jumps and we'll be done." Well, the first 2' 6" oxer she headed him for was a disaster. He refused and spun, flingy little Pat out of the tack. Her foot hung up in the tight stirrup and her head contacted the steel jump cup right on the corner.

Were it not for that jockey helmet, she'd be dead since the cup penetrated the shell of that helmet...just knicking her skin enough to draw blood.

The next day I bought a jockey helmet. I still wear a skull cap type one now, since it's just what I prefer. But it's a brand-new IRH with venting. I love it cuz I can change lycra helmet covers whenever I want!

No, a helmet isn't the be-all/end-all. But it is one piece of insurance you can use to, perhaps, lessen the chance of traumatic brain injury or death.... if not for you, then for the loved ones who will take care of you or bury you.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I wear a helmet AND safety stirrups, every single time I ride. And on the trail, I wear a vest. I don't care if I look like a geek, or a total beginner w/my safety stirrups. It's worth it to me!

I'm sorry to hear about the NY accident.

ive ridden horses most of my life (some 40+ years) Ive never had a bad accident.................... until

a couple weekends ago.

my mare tossed me like a salad (it was MY FAULT long story)

my head hit a rock... HARD

I got up, got back on my mare, and was able to fix our problem and complete my ride uneventful, it all ended good..

when I got back to the barn, and took my helmet off, I realized that it had a big crack right down the center......

I was able to complete my ride and go on with my day, which included a trip to the tack store for a new helmet...... they said duck tapping it back together wouldnt work....

its the first time in my life that my helmet investment paid off... and Im SOOOOO glad it did.... that day could have turned out very different without it

horsewoman6 Guest

Default helmets

wouldnt leave home without my "brain bucket".. tho i dont wear one when i'm riding my qtr horse (show horse) in the arena

Default Thanks for the reminder . . .

I go thru stages - using and then getting out of the habit - back to using for me.

If you don't wear it for you, wear it for the person who will have to make the decision to turn of your life support machines.

If you think your hairdoo & looks are more important then your brains, you're probably right.
    Crayola posse ~ Lazer Lemon yellow
    Take time to is too short a day to be selfish. - Ben Franklin

Warrenton, VA

On Sunday, I rode a friends horse that hadn't been ridden in a while... I brought my own saddle which includes a rear cinch. Stupid, stupid stupid me never thought to ask her if her western horse has ever ridden with a rear cinch (really really stupid me). The day was uneventful, walk trot, lots of transitions, until I asked for that canter and - they say I lasted 4 good rodeo style bucks, he tossed me in the air, and the back of my head caught the fence, and threw me on to the ground. I was knocked out for a few seconds... took me several seconds to get my eyesight back... the horses kept running around the ring bucking like crazy..... I'll never ever ride without my helmet.
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA

I have no problem with wearing a helmet. I'm very fond of all my functions as they are. PITA replacing them every couple of years, though. Then I remember the time I saw a horse kick out in passing as it's recently displaced rider hit the ground. She hits the ground, sits up, horse's right hind flicked her on the side of the head. It was lucky in that if he'd hit her a little lower the hoof would have struck lower than the helmet and into her face/jaw. And lucky in that she was wearing a helmet, so the hoof didn't connect uncushioned with the area right beside her ear, which is pretty damn vulnerable.