The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr. 5, 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,186

    Default WWYD? Ebay/Selling problems.... losing $$

    So I had listed a very expensive saddle for sale on Ebay. The reserve wasn't met, but afterwards one of the bidders offered to buy it privately. I agreed...however about 3/4 days later he said he didn't have the money yet, but would have it in a week's time.

    That same day, another bidder contacted me as well, also wanting the saddle, but willing to pay a higher price.

    I originally told buyer #1 I would hold the saddle for him, and had until X date to pay. I told buyer #2 that the saddle was already spoken for, however I would be in touch if it didn't go through.

    I contacted bidder #1 on the day payment was due, asking if they could confirm they wanted the saddle. They said yes, and they would pay that night. Next day rolls around, no payment. I contact again, they say they will do it later that night.

    In the meantime, bidder #2 is eager to buy (and pay ASAP) for the saddle. The lower price I offered bidder #1 was based up the exchange rate at the time. Since payment was delayed, forget the lower price, I've now lost close to $200 on the saddle.

    If I sell to buyer #2, I will have enough money to pay my horse's vet bill.

    If I continue to delay payment in order to allow bidder #1 more time to pay, I am losing money day by day.

    Originally I wanted to honor what I said to him (bidder #1) but now I'm desperate to sell the saddle for the vet bills.

    I am leaning towards telling bidder #1 the deal is off, but I don't know what to tell him. He seems like a really nice guy and was so thankful I agreed to give him a week to pay in the first place.

    What do I do? WWYD?
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 2, 2006
    Location
    Dallas, NC
    Posts
    2,410

    Default

    This is a busness deal, tell him that. Sell to bidder number two. I appreciate your holding the saddle for number one but enough is enough, you've given him enough time and he keeps delaying it. He can buy another saddle once he gets the funds.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

    Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2007
    Location
    Sultan WA
    Posts
    909

    Default

    NO pay, no deal. End of discussion. You have already given him time - and the money you are losing! If you want to sell the saddle, it's your choice. It's not being sold through ebay, so even if #1 gets pissy, what can they do, whine and cry?

    ALSO - it's not being sold through ebay, so you have no recourse if his payment is phony. Be sure to have the money in your account before you ship!

    Nothing worse than some jerk who thinks the whole world needs to take care of their issues for them.
    Homesick Angels Farm
    breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
    standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
    www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr. 24, 2002
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    916

    Default

    Sell to Buyer #2 as Buyer #1 has not paid and you gave him every chance to pay. He did not pay as per your agreement. Sell to Buyer #2 who has the money and is ready to pay.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    21,131

    Default

    Tell buyer one that the offer has expired and is off the table and sell to buyer two.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2004
    Location
    Nescopeck PA
    Posts
    1,843

    Default

    If reserve was not met I am assuming you are selling it off ebay, in that case as bidder #1 has not paid, you have no reason to hold it for them. I wouldn't even flinch, sell to bidder #2. Get your money, bidder #1 is dragging you through the mud and will most likely not pay. EVER.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan. 24, 2000
    Location
    Out of the loop
    Posts
    3,229

    Default

    My philosophy on selling anything: The item remains on the market until money changes hands. Period. I won't hold anything on a promise. A substantial deposit and narrowly worded contract to buy, yes. But not on a promise.

    You have given Buyer #1 ample opportunity. If the deadline that he set for getting you the money has passed, I'd just inform him that since he missed his own self-imposed deadline, the deal is no longer valid and the saddle is back on the market. You can even offer him second right of refusal if the deal with Buyer #2 falls through.

    Then offer the saddle to Buyer #2, with a fairly narrow timeframe for getting you the funds, or at least a substantial non-refundable deposit.
    Equinox Equine Massage

    In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr. 5, 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,186

    Default

    Thanks guys. I really believe that buyer #1 is genuine (damned optimism screws me every time ) otherwise I wouldn't have bothered waiting this long.

    I feel sort of crappy for agreeing to wait and then cutting out of the deal after allowing one more day, but on the other hand you're all right, I have already waited.

    To be honest, if he had paid immediately when I contacted him today then I could have dealt with the $$$ loss a bit easier, but getting the full price I wanted right away seems like the better option.

    I will just have to tell him that I can no longer sell the saddle to him.

    This is why I couldn't work in the horse industry, I'm easily swayed in my efforts to be nice. Yeesh. Good thing I'm not in sales....
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2006
    Posts
    2,505

    Default

    I would put it back on EBAY with a buy it now option for what buyer 2 offered to pay you- let them both know. That way you will be protected should something go south with the sale.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr. 15, 2004
    Location
    Sunny Sonoma, CA
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    I would put it back on EBAY with a buy it now option for what buyer 2 offered to pay you- let them both know. That way you will be protected should something go south with the sale.
    I agree 100%
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul. 27, 2007
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Posts
    9,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    I would put it back on EBAY with a buy it now option for what buyer 2 offered to pay you- let them both know. That way you will be protected should something go south with the sale.
    Yep.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun. 17, 2001
    Location
    down the road from bar.ka
    Posts
    37,237

    Default

    Agreed, put on back on E Bay with a buy it now based on the price #2 agreed to and let them fight it out.

    After all, you do not really know either of them and #2 may not come up with the money any more then #1 will. Putting faith in somebody you don't really know-or somebody you do know-when money is involved is naive and likely you will get hurt.

    Get a deposit and a contract or put it back on there for cash up front.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

    The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug. 5, 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,539

    Default

    Of course, if you put it back on Ebay, Ebay gets its $$ cut.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr. 5, 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,186

    Default

    Thanks for the advice everyone. I just really needed it sold.

    I offered the saddle to buyer #2, saying if she really wanted it she was welcome to pay for it (today!) and I would ship it to her.

    Not but an hour later, she submitted the money for the saddle plus shipping. I contacted buyer #1 and told him I was very sorry but the saddle was no longer for sale. He completely understood and thanked me for holding it for a week in the first place.

    I cleaned the saddle, wrapped it up, and shipped it out to buyer #2 this evening. She should receive it on Friday.

    If only everything in the horse world could be so easy. Thanks again guys!
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul. 26, 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,016

    Default

    Good job! Money talks, ALWAYS.



Similar Threads

  1. Selling saddles on eBay
    By TheHorseProblem in forum Dressage
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Sep. 2, 2011, 12:28 PM
  2. Ebay problems
    By enjoytheride in forum Off Course
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Feb. 12, 2011, 10:06 AM
  3. Selling Saddles on Ebay
    By indygirl2560 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct. 14, 2009, 10:05 PM
  4. Selling used harness- is Ebay the best?
    By ASB Stars in forum Driving
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul. 20, 2009, 03:49 PM
  5. Ebay problems HELP!(and yes HR)
    By *Teddy* in forum Off Course
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jul. 19, 2009, 07:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness