The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weird Things Your Horses Do...

I've got a barnful of oddballs. Okay well 2 out of 5 need lobotomies anyhow.

My 13yo mare likes to sing and hum when out trail riding. Totally random- she'll just start groaning in melodic tune. Sometimes while she walks, sometimes when she trots. Sometimes she doesn't. I guess it's when the mood strikes her. One of these days I will record it.

The other is the new guy Vic- the baby- he's 3. Oh boy does his paddock look like a playpen. He has the 'pas-if-ier' or whatever it's called in the corner of his stall area. 2 construction cones. Jolly ball hanging from the rafter. A large squeeky stuffed animal (donated by the dog). and his latest contribution... a 44" round yellow ball. I can tell you he honestly plays with EVERYTHING. The new ball is hilarious because over the past couple days- he pushes it- wherever he goes. He likes to toss the cones and the stuffed animal

My in-laws gave me a cute little wooden horse standing puzzle, an interlocking mare and foal, for Christmas last year. It's been sitting on my horse's stall ledge for a while. Until Thursday, when he ate it. The barn owner found a leg and part of the foal's head. Don't quite know how he managed to eat it, or what his motivation was. This is the same horse I can't try to "despook" because he tries to eat anything I introduce him to. I had to literally pull a scarecrow out of his throat last year when trying to take Hallowe'en pictures with him. Same problem at St. Patrick's day with the shamrock garlands...

The boys like to travel over to the compost pile and play a game of flinging pieces of compost at each other. They dodge the flying pieces as if they're nasty or something, yet they don't have a problem picking them up in their mouths to fling . I get a big kick out of watching my boys being boys!

I used to have one who dunked her head in her water bucket and blew bubbles.

dustyangel24 Guest

When working out in the pastures, I hang things on the gate that I had been carrying. My gelding has a real problem with things hanging on the pasture gate. He runs up, grabs whatever it is...a shirt, coat, rope...etc. and either runs away with it in his mouth, or drops it on the ground and stands on it!

Another mare is very OCD about her stall. She has a feed bowl on the ground, and a hay bucket. She keeps both buckets on one side of her stall. When cleaning the stall, we sometimes move the buckets. The first thing she does when she goes in is move them back to where she had them. She is like a person that has their desk just right. She makes her stall 'just right'!!!

I have one mare who prefers to drop her grain on the edge of the stall wall and eat it from there. Her dam was the same way. She can't do that anymore since we have closed stall fronts now- but she does drop in on the ledge that holds her feeder. Wierdo.

When I am walking my fence lines my horse follows me - really really close. I think he is inspecting my work Some days the other horses follow as well - I feel like a mama duck with all my ducklings following along. 22 head in head to tail formation. My horse is always first in line then 21 assorted geldings - it's like they have no other life than to follow the food lady -
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

I had one who would try to put all four hooves in any bucket she could find. She was as fat as a tick and would get 3 legs in put never 4. She would try for hours.
    Had another one the was a whackjob, He was my favorite horse ever though. He had an obbsession with smelling your hair. He would rub his nose in your hair and breath so deeply it sounded like he was snoring. He also would eat the snow of the top of the fence and would sneez when it went up his nose but would keep going at it. He like clementines and everytime he would find a patch of clover he would start grunting. God I miss that horse everyday.

pinkme I was just going to write that about the hair thing. My horse is a nut about smelling everyone's hair. She'll just rest her nose on top of my kids' heads, breathing in like she's died and gone to heaven. I recently bought some Pumpkin Pie shampoo and I can not keep her away from my head!

The mare and her buckets, too funny! Very cute though.

I have a couple odd ones, but not so much odd rather than cute. My stallion, whom I raised and is now 7, has decided just this spring that he's needed to start protecting me from the tractor anytime it enters the field. He puts himself between it and me until it's gone. While it's nice that he feels this need to protect me, he can be a pain when the tractor wants to leave the field and I'm the one that has to open to gate. He's much happier once it's gone though and all is right in his world again. The mares could care less, but he's very bothered by them.

Of his mare band, I have two that like to sniff and lick vehicles of any kind... tractor, lawn tractor, truck, car, doesn't matter. They have to investigate it in that manner. They've never tried to bite them, thankfully. I've lightly tapped one more than once w/ the front of the truck and mirrors to get her out of the way.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

My mare will lick every last crumb of hay bits out of the various nooks and crannies of her feeder and she thinks it's pretty funny to either knock my hat off or push it down over my eyes when she's in the crossties.

As a twist on the hair sniffing fetish, the draft cross gelding I rode in lessons for a year loved to stick his muzzle in my sweaty helmet when I'd take it off. He would inhale deeply and get a look on his face like he was stoned.

A long time I taught my horse how to give his hoof to me so I could pick it. I would say hoof and he would hold it out and geta treat. Well, he's really good at this and sometimes when he doesn't "get" something I'm trying to teach him, and he's all out of ideas, he'll hold up his hoof. Also, sometimes, while he's eating, he'll hold his hoof up for minutes at a time. I guess he thinks he needs to hold it up so he can get his reward, even though he already has it.
    He also is very vocal, and will give me a high pitched winny every time I open the door to the house(he's right beside my house in a paddock). Also, when he gets really excited, like if we're about to do a gallop, he'll throw out a squeal.
    One of my other guys, my pony, gets a caramel from me every night after work. He waits by the gate for me, and when I arrive he starts licking and drooling ,like pavlovs(sp?) dogs.

Maria

My TB loves to itch his ear with his back hoof like a dog - he will do this on a regular basis. Also in the summer he enjoy getting half way inside the water trough - he will step in with his front legs, take a drink and then he will start pawing so the water starts to around, then he looks around, and jumps out.

I have a Hanovarian - L line, 17.2 - who loves to have his belly scratched. To the extent that he will hold out a hind leg (either one) like a dog at a fire hydrant so you can scratch (vigorously, with a stiff brush) it. He'll even do it with someone one him (which is a bit disconcerting to the rider). The first time he held it out like that, I thought he was going to kick, but he just held it there, waiting until I figured it out.
    If you do a particularly good job, he'll turn and scratch your back with his upper lip and, occassionally, teeth!

My husband's OTTB would grab a hose right out of your hand, hold it gently between his teeth and drink the water as if sucking through a straw. When he was satisfied, he'd just drop it, soaking me in the process.

My big guy has a massive fleece obsession. Once it gets colder out, he starts mouthing to see if you are wearing fleece. If you are wearing it, he will find it . He loves to rub his upper lip back and forth across it- he never puts his whole mouth or teeth on it, just loves to rub his lip.

My little QH Buckeye is extremely oral. He roots around the pasture for sticks, which he picks up, carries around with him and whacks his herd mates with.

He is such a clown, and a PIA.

He also got out of the pasture last winter, decided to stroll out onto the spring fed pond and promptly fell through the ice up to his neck in the middle of the pond. I don't know how long he was there, probably not too long as he was still alive when we found him, and it was in the teens outside. Long story short, the fire department came out with a tow truck and wench and pulled the guy out after donning wet suits and inching out to him on the float. THAT WAS THE MOST FRIGHTENING HELPLESS THING EVER. , I honeslty thought he was going to die in front of us, my son and I, while we waited for help.

Smart horse, no common sense.

My 2 yr old TB filly will fall asleep on me after we have a training lesson together...like nap time after a work out and she's not really working out by any means.

She will rest her head against my chest or on my shoulder, close her eyes and breath deep. I'll rub her ears and hum or talk to her and pick the burrs out of her forelock and then when I'm ready to leave I move away. She's completely stunned and loses her balance because she had been leaning her head against me and will snort at me as I'm leaving like I'm the mean one for disturbing her beauty sleep and taking her "pillow" away.

In the summer she will stick her whole head in the water trough, splash around a few times and THEN take a drink. She also prefers the water hose to drinking out of the trough.

I have a hair sniffer too... except mine rubs her lip in my hair. I guess she likes the smell and feel.
    Crayola Posse~Aquamarine
    Love vs Money...for the love of my horse, I have no money!

Default I have a HSA (Hair Sniffers Anonymous) Horse

I too have a 4 year old Hanoverian that is a hair sniffer. He loves to root his face around in my ponytail

He also holds my dressage whip and always takes off his boots and occasionally throws them at me. That gets to be a real pain when we are trying to be ready for a lesson and only 1 boot is on him He is also likes to rest his head on my shoulder, sometimes dead weight!

Yesterday Verizon was at my boarding barn doing cabling and they had to go through the young guys pasture. They set little white flags in the ground and yup you guessed the horses took all the flags out. The Verizon guys didn't think it was funny and the horses had to come in for a few hours

Quote Originally Posted by pharmgirl View Post
    My big guy has a massive fleece obsession. Once it gets colder out, he starts mouthing to see if you are wearing fleece. If you are wearing it, he will find it . He loves to rub his upper lip back and forth across it- he never puts his whole mouth or teeth on it, just loves to rub his lip.
    Aha! Back in the 80's I worked at a h/j barn on Long Island. One of the boarders had a HUGE Trakhener, Tex, who had the same obsession with my insulated jacket! For some reason, the feel of rubbing his top lip...VERY HARD I might add...on that nylon was nirvana for him. He'd about push me down trying to push harder on it. What a horse he was!

My Clyde-X mare loves to lick something while she eats her grain. She prefers metal (like the metal stall gate) but will settle for wood if she has to. That mare can make 2 cups of Equipride last 20 minutes! Needless to say, the gates are washed daily to remove the slobbery goo she leaves behind.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."