The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default FREE HORSE... Illinois (Chicago area)

Registered Appaloose gelding, highly trained in reining, used as a beginner lesson horse, loves to jump. Approx. 14.3 hh. White (literally) color with some brown speckles. (not sure on age, but I know it's somewhere around 10... I would say from 8-11)

He was injured in turnout - and was diagnosed with ripped muscles and what MAY or MAY NOT be a torn ACL (more info through PM regarding this).

Ideal for a pasture companion... and if you take a chance and give him time, he MAY come back 100% sound. Or even just sound enough to trail ride.

Right now he's NOT in pain, NOT on meds, and trots/canters with a limp/hitch. He's walking VERY close to 100% normal.

It's been only 1 month since he was hurt.

I work there, and he's breaking my heart! He's an awesome little workhorse, LOTS of heart, and he deserves a chance. He MUST go. Free to a good home. Feel free to PM me any questions.

If I had my own property, I'd take him in a heartbeat, but I don't. Anyone want to give this guy a chance???

I've had a couple PM's asking the same thing - so I'm going to answer all those here instead of privately.

He is NOT a horse to take, try to rehab, and use for lessons again. If that were the case we wouldn't be getting rid of him.

He is being given away FIRST as a retired pasture pet, and IF he gets better while in your care (which, as I said, he may or may not), then you got the deal of a lifetime. He's either going to be fine or not be rideable. He may only be able to walk undersaddle with a little bit of trotting, we just don't know.

I can't give him away with the guarantee that he will one day be sound. That's a risk someone else needs to take. (Personally, I think it's a risk worth taking, but even I don't believe he'll ever be sound enough to be a lesson horse again).