The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default daylight savings?

well i dont know about you but are any of your guys horses very angry about the time change?

i went out today at 7am to feed our horses. (usually feed them 7am and around 5:30pm) My horses were NOT happy with me at all! They were sitting there basicly saying "umm hello mom you are an hour late!" they think i am just being lazy or something. Some of them are really dramatic like "OH MY GOSH FINALLY I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO STARVE TO DEATH" That made me laugh this morning
    ~Your horse can only be as brave as you are~

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gottalovethecowgirl View Post
    well i dont know about you but are any of your guys horses very angry about the time change?

i went out today at 7am to feed our horses. (usually feed them 7am and around 5:30pm) My horses were NOT happy with me at all! They were sitting there basicly saying "umm hello mom you are an hour late!" they think i am just being lazy or something. Some of them are really dramatic like "OH MY GOSH FINALLY I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO STARVE TO DEATH" That made me laugh this morning
    That last line made me burst out laughing!! They have been watching animal cops way too much! lol poor things starved for an hour oh my. That is too funny.
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

4:30 yesterday I looked outside and saw my mare staring at the house looking quite perturbed. If she had a watch she would have been impatiently tapping it. She was not happy when I came outside to go riding, not to feed dinner .

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

My boys hardly noticed.
    I purposely feed on a very flexible schedule so an hour or two one way or the other is no Biggie to them.

Barncat, OTOH, was most put out. She times her returns to the barn for feeding time and was quite annoyed when breakfast was 1h late on Sunday.
    Puh-leeze! This is the same cat who had the back half of a bunny near her size inside the barn one evening.
    She left off chowing on her Bunny Sushi long enough to have some of the canned cat food I put out for her before I noticed the half-eaten bunny.
    Blech!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Mine hate the evening. I don't get to the barn now til dark at a little after 6. My horses hate being outside in the dark if they haven't been fed...they are perfectly happy until I pull up, then they start running around acting like I totally missed their dinner time somehow and they are going to starve to death. I am not looking forward to tonight.

You WERE being lazy. <G> You could have gone at six but noooooo....you probably slept another hour.
    All kidding aside I wish they'd do it one way or the other all the time.

We're kinda flexable in our feeding times too. In the morning they start wandering over and hanging out behind the feedstalls talking to each other "What do you think we'll get today? Grain or grain??"

At dinner they are too busy at the round bale buffet to bother to come up until I holler "Come on! Come on!" and then they turn and look over and come running like "OMG it's about time we are SO starved!!"
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Thumbs down

I am not a fan of Daylight Savings time. On the other hand, I wouldn't want my kid waiting for the morning school bus in the dark. And yet again, some of them wind up coming home in the dark instead. There's no winning here. They should just leave it alone.

My horse is delighted with the time change as it is now officially too dark for me to ride after work (no arena lights) which means that his workouts are restricted to weekends. My BO is flexible with the feeding schedule, so I am sure that he was not at all bothered by that.

There is not any exact time for breakfast or supper around here. We all have many commitments that happen after school, evenings, or like to sleep in a bit on weekends! So if we will be out late in the morning, they get an extra flake the night before. Most morning chores happen between 8A to 9A, so they saw no difference with Daylight savings on Sun AM. I was the one who thought breakfast time was kind of early on the clock! Being outside with pasture, is not going to cause problems if supper is at 5p or 9p, instead of the usual 7p timeframe.

Being rather casual seems to result in less stress. No one is on the time clock to get upset with variation in scheduling. Also much easier on them at shows, not expecting to be fed when the other horses are. No crabby horses, they are GRATEFUL whenever the food arrives. Come to the gate when we call to be stalled.

We did have one horse we purchased, who DID think there was supposed to be a schedule, kicked the wall. She also kicked at her stall neighbors when irate. So she wore a kicking chain for a while, which took care of the problems, and quit waking me up before I was ready! I was getting precious little sleep time anyway between work and small babies waking up at night. Selfish, yes, but I was a MUCH nicer person with more sleep on Saturday and Sunday morning.

My horses also seemed unfazed by the change -- but my dogs and the barn cats were really PO'd. The dogs I can handle. I fear the barn cats.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

My dogs refuse to recognize the time change. So this morning they woke me up for breakfast at 5:30. That needs to stop. Immediately!

I was the first one at the barn on Sunday (because I forgot to change my clocks and got up an hour earlier than I had intended to). I got there slightly before normal feeding time, which of course to the horses was nearly an hour later than they deserved to be fed. Once the first pony saw me he started yelling his fool head off ("There's a Human! I see a Human! Feeeeed us we're staaaaaaaaaarving!") - which of course set off the other horses, which set off the donkeys and once they get going it's all over. The barn cats greeted me in the same way. They got fed shortly there after, but until breakfast was served my mear presence made me the most popular person on earth because I just might be the magical one who remembered to feed them.

The dog was also reluctant to recognize the time change yesterday. He got fed at his "normal" time in the morning since I got up early, but last night he was whining and making a menace of himself at 5:30 because he was convinced it was dinner time and he must eat or spontaneously combust. We compromised and he ate at 6.

Count your blessings that you don't have donkeys like my neighbor. The whole neighborhood got a pre-dawn Donkey Serenade yesterday!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

the horses are on a fairly flexible schedual, so that wasn't a worry. My dogs sleep till I get up and they free feed, so again, not an issue. My mom's cat however had other ideas. She gets up and goes out at 6am, comes back in and gets fed at 615 (she will not use a catbox). Daylight savings time just doesn't happen in her world!!!
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

My cat is another who refuses to acknowledge the time change. He woke me up this morning at 5am and again at 5:30am insisting that it was time for breakfast. He was trained quite nicely not to bother me for breakfast until daylight until the last month when it was still dark when the alarm went off at 6:30am. I guess it is back to training the cat not to wake me until 6:30am

BTW, aren 't we on Standard time now (not daylight savings?)

I think we should just do daylight savings all year round. Who cares if it's dark in the morning as you stagger around half-asleep? I'd prefer a bit of light in the evening thank you very much and I hate the abrupt time changes.

aren 't we on Standard time now (not daylight savings?)
    Thanks for pointing that out- I was just about to post that! Daylight Savings runs from March to November. We are now in the dratted [your time zone here] Standard Time, unless you're in one of those time zones that doesn't change from Standard to Daylight and back again (like Central, I think, or is it Mountain?)

On topic, my horses actually got fed earlier than they were used to yesterday, as I had to be at a show by usual feeding time, and since I don't feed on weekdays, I have no idea how they reacted today

Well tonight was a DISASTER..I fed after work, which yes, according to my horses was 7:30 and not 6:30, but I do not feed on a fixed time, I try to have a 2 hour window. They were fine until I pulled up (in the dark)..then bedlam started, they all started running around. Routine is to let the 2 boys in first, they come in from the back pasture, through a run and through Imp's stall, turn left and into their respective stalls...tonight, both went into same stall, both came back out, turned right and went out at a gallop into the yard. I ignored them and hoped no one got hurt, opened next gate to let Her Highness in, she stopped in the back pasture and ran around, refusing to go into her stall. Finally got one of the boys in, HH came in, then got Tucker in. What a nuthouse. I am now debating keeping them in during the day and out at night (would prefer the other way around) or hiring a neighbor kid to bring them in before dark for me. I will give them a couple more nights and see if they figure it out..in the meantime, the boys will get LED in with a halter on!

Quote Originally Posted by fanfayre View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out- I was just about to post that! Daylight Savings runs from March to November. We are now in the dratted [your time zone here] Standard Time, unless you're in one of those time zones that doesn't change from Standard to Daylight and back again (like Central, I think, or is it Mountain?)
    It's not a whole time zone, just 2 states don't do daylight savings time and are on standard time the whole time. AZ, HI and part of IN
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457