The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Opinions on my 8 month colt...

Ok, so I attempted to take recent pictures of my guy. I know he isn't standing perfect, but what can you tell me about him conformation wise? Opinions on whether he looks to be a hunter prospect?

His father is a jumper, mother a TB hunter. I am hoping for him to be a hunter. He has been growing like crazy, so this week I finally thought I could get some decent pics.

I don't know a ton about shoulder angle, hind end, stuff like that. Especially differences on what to look for jumper or hunter wise.

This last picture just shows his face and his "I am always getting into something" personality!

ps. excuse the shavings. I groomed him, then he decided to roll right before his photo shoot. I only asked the groom last minute to hold him. We also have to work on his posing, instead of him mugging the handler!
    Last edited by Samotis; Nov. 9, 2008 at 09:17 PM.

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

So I get 220 people looking at my post but no one to give me an opinion?

Come on someone!

I can't comment on his conformation, but he is CUTE and HUGE!!!

I have no critique..........he's just too cute!
    Member of the Redheads with Redheads clique.
    I have a blog about Sammy: http://www.sammyssaga.blogspot.com/

A little hard to tell from the photos, plus he is so young. I think overall he looks pretty good. He looks a bit butt high (to be expected) but it looks like a very nice butt. Also looks
    like a good shoulder in the first pic. Hard to tell on the second. Nice long pasterns, should
    be comfy. Good shock absorbers. I think you have a nice one Samotis!
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

It's difficult, at least for me, to offer a conformation critique when he's leaning so far on his forehand in both these body shots. It appears that his pasterns are a little longish, his heels a bit low, and his shoulder a tad straight, but that could be because of how he's standing up.

As a hunter, I do like his topline. I think as a package, he is a very handsome boy.

I was also going to say that his pasterns seem pretty long. Might be an issue, especially if he's supposed to be a jumper in the future. Hopefully he will grow into them? IDK

I'm the last one to critique baby pics, but I have to say I think Ace is just beautiful! I love his head and I think he looks very hunter-y, certainly eye-catching!

He's cute - yes he's butt high but he'll grow out of that. Nice short back - lovely face!!!

Well, the conf. pics are hard to tell because he's such a little mug-monster...and his shoulders and legs are not set up to really tell. My 4 month old colt does the exact same body language, the language of lllluuuvvvvvv... hhahaa.. I love long pasterns and mine have always had pasterns that they just grew into. It's a sign that he will be a tall horse. He is so shiny and overall healthy and pretty looking. But most of all, I just LOVE his pretty face! His face is ever so much like my broodmare's face and her foals all inherit that lovely head from her. I think he will be gorgeous when he grows up.
    Dark Horse Farm

Original Poster

He really does have his mothers face.

The stallion owner warned me that the foals do grow and have a lot of funky stages, but I have seen them as grown up and they are very nice horses, so I have no doubt he will be great! I am kind of shocked he is so big because his mom is very petite and only 15.3!

Here is a pic of Ace's mom as a 3 year old... If that isn't a spitting image, I don't know what is!
    Last edited by Samotis; Nov. 9, 2008 at 04:22 PM.

Wow, no kidding! They look SO much alike. I do like how the colt's snip goes down to his nostril but still very similar to Mom's and her pic even is in the same position as the one of your boy. Very pretty. My mare is a TB too and the same colour as yours. I love dark bay.
    Dark Horse Farm

I think Ace is just lovely. He's going to be quite the looker, like he isn't already!! He does have his mom's face for sure. Very pretty. He's a big boy and only going to get bigger. Have fun!
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    He really does have his mothers face.

The stallion owner warned me that the foals do grow and have a lot of funky stages, but I have seen them as grown up and they are very nice horses, so I have no doubt he will be great! I am kind of shocked he is so big because his mom is very petite and only 15.3!

Here is a pic of Ace's mom as a 3 year old... If that isn't a spitting image, I don't know what is!
    He is LOVELY! And he does look exactly like his dam! Funny thing is, they both have the same face as my mare

Original Poster

They do look similiar!

Its so funny because I take pictures every month of Ace. He looks so different every time! He is hard to take pictures of. I wish he could just stand still for a few seconds!

I see the long pasterns, but he is half TB, so that doesn't bother me too much. He should grow into those!

His mother has a great shoulder, so I am hoping he will. It doesn't look too straight to me, so it could be the picture. He has great feet and they are all black and white striped which is cool. He does overreach a lot though. He is always clipping his heals! I keep alot of Miracle heel around!

I recognize that look! It's the "What can I get into next" look.

A dark bay with a lot of chrome. Yum.

He looks good to me!

I think he looks better than average especially as he is a yearling. Don't worry about the pasterns - my understanding is what you see as in length is what he will have for life so in a horse expected to be 16hh or more a young horse should have pasterns that are longish. Someone actually said the same thing about my youngster and now they don't look long at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado Run Farm View Post
    It's difficult, at least for me, to offer a conformation critique when he's leaning so far on his forehand in both these body shots. It appears that his pasterns are a little longish, his heels a bit low, and his shoulder a tad straight, but that could be because of how he's standing up.

As a hunter, I do like his topline. I think as a package, he is a very handsome boy.
    I see exactly what you said

Original Poster

He was very proportionate when he was younger, he is just growing all legs at the moment!

He is in goofy stage right now! He is going to be at least 16.3 so I don't really think his pasterns should be a concern.

This is a pic of him at 3 days old...
    Last edited by Samotis; Nov. 9, 2008 at 04:22 PM.

Personally,I think he's just beautiful! No conformation comments at this point of his growth and the photos don't really allow it -- but he is lovely! Congrats! Who is the sire?
    PennyG