The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    StoneCrown Sporthorses Guest

    Wink Opinions/Critique on Thoroughbred X Filly.

    Hey Everyone!

    Okay, so I know it's always hard to critique the "babies", but I'd love some opinions and observations. Still getting current pictures from the Mare Owner, but needless to say, I'm curious what ya'll think.

    The picture is of her at 4 months.

    In my opinion, she is quite her daddy's daughter.

    Good and bad, I wanna hear it. She was quite the surprise, but luckily things have worked out well.

    Ok, have at it. haha.

    http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/p...Dakota_023.jpg



  2. #2
    StoneCrown Sporthorses Guest



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneCrown Sporthorses View Post
    Hey Everyone!

    Okay, so I know it's always hard to critique the "babies", but I'd love some opinions and observations. Still getting current pictures from the Mare Owner, but needless to say, I'm curious what ya'll think.

    The picture is of her at 4 months.

    In my opinion, she is quite her daddy's daughter.

    Good and bad, I wanna hear it. She was quite the surprise, but luckily things have worked out well.

    Ok, have at it. haha.

    http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/p...Dakota_023.jpg
    You can only see so much from that picture, so I will only go on what I can see.

    IMO I personally do not like her head, but thats really just "look" and not function. I also personally do not like her croup. I think her shoulder looks a tad bit straight as well. Something in her neck looks funny, it looks like its bulging out at the top...cant tell if its light or an injury or jsut the way she is, but I thought I would mention it anyway. Other than that I think she is nice. Of course all of that is subject to change with a better picture, and maybe as she grows as well.
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/



  4. #4
    StoneCrown Sporthorses Guest

    Default

    Yes, I agree that her "dead fish" expression is...interesting. haha. I am going to try and make a "field-trip" out to the barn where she is stabled at, to get some better pictures. I know that sometimes it is hard to really see what the horse truly looks like, due to odd pictures...

    Thank you for your input.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec. 11, 2005
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    2,818

    Default

    Not sure about the filly but the sire is GORGEOUS.. what are you doing with him? Nice pedigree too!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar. 28, 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,373

    Default

    You know, it's not a great picture, and not a great age, either.

    I don't particularly like her croup, and her shoulder looks very straight. I'd love to see some better shots of her. The expression she has is probably better than the picture shows.

    Her sire is lovely!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony



  7. #7
    StoneCrown Sporthorses Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    Not sure about the filly but the sire is GORGEOUS.. what are you doing with him? Nice pedigree too!
    Awww. Thank You! ) You know what? He was my absolute dream horse, I fell in love with him, then found out he was still "intact". haha. I figured after I got him shipped out to me, we'd geld him. Nope. He never ONCE gave us any reason to think that way. His actions, temperment, movement, breeding, etc, just solidified his right to pass on those nice traits.

    After a successful race career, he retired competely sound. Plus, he's a BIG boy (17.1 hands) and raced as a two-year old (can you imagine how ugly he probably looked? haha) He is currently in training with a lovely hunter/jumper trainer and looks to be hitting the show circuit, hopefully this spring. According to his trainer, he's the "smoothest horse she's ridden". Goes like a warmblood. He's such a gentleman. I am truly lucky.




  8. #8
    StoneCrown Sporthorses Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    You know, it's not a great picture, and not a great age, either.

    I don't particularly like her croup, and her shoulder looks very straight. I'd love to see some better shots of her. The expression she has is probably better than the picture shows.

    Her sire is lovely!
    I hope to get up to her barn sometime this week. Hopefully I will have improved pictures of her. It's really interesting, she doesn't look one bit like the mare. Odd. haha.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan. 1, 2006
    Posts
    673

    Default

    I will throw in my 2 cents. I have a son of Fappiano who I absolutely love. He is a beautiful big boy (people think he is a warmblood because he is so quiet but so muscled) BUT he was the uglyiest yearling, 2year old, 3 year old and 4 year old you ever saw!!! I refused to take him to the barn (hunter jumper) because I knew everyone would think I was crazy!!! It took him a LONG time to grow into his muscles and frame but by the time he was 7 he was drop dead handsome!!!



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec. 11, 2005
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    2,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneCrown Sporthorses View Post
    Awww. Thank You! ) You know what? He was my absolute dream horse, I fell in love with him, then found out he was still "intact". haha. I figured after I got him shipped out to me, we'd geld him. Nope. He never ONCE gave us any reason to think that way. His actions, temperment, movement, breeding, etc, just solidified his right to pass on those nice traits.

    After a successful race career, he retired competely sound. Plus, he's a BIG boy (17.1 hands) and raced as a two-year old (can you imagine how ugly he probably looked? haha) He is currently in training with a lovely hunter/jumper trainer and looks to be hitting the show circuit, hopefully this spring. According to his trainer, he's the "smoothest horse she's ridden". Goes like a warmblood. He's such a gentleman. I am truly lucky.

    Are you going to present him to any associations for approval? I bet you could get some mares if you did..

    I have a very nice TB mare I would love to put to him.



  11. #11
    StoneCrown Sporthorses Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    Are you going to present him to any associations for approval? I bet you could get some mares if you did..

    I have a very nice TB mare I would love to put to him.
    That's the plan. When we decided to keep him as a stallion prospect, I knew that I would need help and opinions for a lot of different avenues. (I'm quite an experienced "horse lady", but this is my first stallion) I am lucky to have found a lovely trainer that gets along with him, fabulously. On the breeding side of things, I am quite novice. However, he deserves to have this done right, so we have a lot of contacts with surrounding "stallion stations" as well as numerous local vets. It's kinda funny, we didn't plan on breeding him as early as "he did". Just mainly wanted to focus on training/showing. However a mare had different ideas. Made for quite the interesting suprise.

    If I can get your opinion, which registries would you say have more "weight", in order to make him more marketable. I love getting new ideas. Our primary focus is to show and market him, however I know he should be professional enough to show and be collected.

    I'd love to hear more about your mare. PM me, if you would like.
    Last edited by StoneCrown Sporthorses; Nov. 3, 2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Apparently, I can't spell.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    Yep Dad is lovely - I love that picture of him!!



Similar Threads

  1. 14.2 Hand Thoroughbred Filly in South Florida
    By LetItBe in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr. 17, 2011, 08:29 PM
  2. 2 year old Thoroughbred Filly- OH *Placed*
    By hrfponies in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Feb. 3, 2011, 11:20 AM
  3. Thoroughbred Breeding Critique
    By faluut42 in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct. 21, 2009, 04:11 PM
  4. Thoroughbred Filly & Pinto Miniature (weanlings)
    By CelticReinRescue in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Oct. 8, 2008, 06:59 PM
  5. Please critique my 2 year old Thoroughbred
    By hunter-jumper-rider in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: Aug. 7, 2008, 09:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness