The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would this be considered tacky?

I have had the same colors for as long as I have been riding but have found them to be somewhat boring. I want to change my colors to yellow and navy. I think this can be done tastefully, but I wanted to check that I would not be looked down upon by others due to my choice.

For XC:

White Saddle Pad w/ Navy trim
    Black Boots on Horse
    Navy Helmet Cover w/ Yellow vertical stripes (3)
    Navy Vest
    Yellow Polo

By the way I am a 16 year old girl eventing at novice (preparing to move up to training). One of my horses is a chestnut and the other is bay. I also catch ride some ponies. I do not use my colors in my dressage or sj attire. I only use my colors for xc and my stable equipment (tack trunk, buckets, brushes...)

Thanks in advance for your help

Sounds much more sedate than many I have seen.

I think that would look nice!

I always love the color yellow

Sounds quite reserved, actually.

In any case, your riding is the important thing.

If you will look tacky, then *I* look tacky!

http://www.fivebadcats.com/html/Jump...20002%20a1.jpg

I use more of a gold than a true yellow, but I think it looks rather nice on my orange horse!

thanks!
    I was just worried because yellow is sometimes included in the category of neon (pink, green, orange)

Doug Payne's colors are yellow and red...

We had a young girl with us for a few years that did navy and yellow, and she always looked great. She did a navy poly pad, navy vest, navy and yellow striped shirt, and BRIGHT yellow helmet cover, complete with a Pia Pantsu-esque pompom. It looked great, and it it was fun to watch her on her great big horse with her little pompom. They were quite the pair.

LOL....those were my school colors! I've know a couple of people that used those colors. My good friend used royal blue instead of navy.

But basically, you will look great!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by jubilee.eventing View Post
    I think this can be done tastefully, but I wanted to check that I would not be looked down upon by others due to my choice

Are XC colours something to worry about??!! Honestly, why would you even care? I do not understand the "I would not be looked down upon others" comment. Wear what you want and have fun...stuff the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by JanWeber View Post
    Doug Payne's colors are yellow and red...
    And don't forget Bruce!

My colors are yellow and navy. I think that they look quite nice together. I have a polartec dress sheet for Tess that is yellow with navy trim. She looks lovely in it.

I wear a navy helmet, vest and breeches. My shirt is yellow and Tess wears yellow bell boots.

I've been working the yellow and black angle and love it on a chestnut or bay!

I am so tempted by yellow web reins... I'm always surprised when some riders look down on bright colors. There's a reason for it - so you don't get lost in the bushes when you fall off! (that's what we were told in PC )

If I was you, I'd get a nice navy pad with yellow binding and some blue and yellow tape for your horse's boots too.
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

I'm struggling to pick colors. I have a plain bay no white at all. I was thinking of doing red and black, but I'm not sure what to do!
    ~Jet Lag~
    ~Willie Cruise~
    ~Hot Tea~
    ~Calypso Bob~

Quote Originally Posted by jetandmegs4 View Post
    I'm struggling to pick colors. I have a plain bay no white at all. I was thinking of doing red and black, but I'm not sure what to do!
    I also have a plain bay with no markings and my colors are red and black. I think it looks great heavy on the black...light on the red.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Well, I have used the same ol' outfit for some 20 od years.

I just llok better in it every year like a good old wine.

Instead of buying a new outfit, why don't you spent, donate $100 to the 3TD Club.

Keep the tradition alive.

Aint that something to spent money on, colours are nice but the tradition of eventing is what counts.

if you wnat to donate, $ 100, sent me an e-mail to guehardt@ centurytel.net
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

my colors are pink and black(and i mean hot pink) so no, your colors aren't tacky, they are pretty conservative...no worries

I'm actually not buying anything new... I have all the navy stuff and I already own a yellow polo...

Quote Originally Posted by Gnep View Post
    Instead of buying a new outfit, why don't you spent, donate $100 to the 3TD Club.

Keep the tradition alive.

Aint that something to spent money on, colours are nice but the tradition of eventing is what counts.

if you wnat to donate, $ 100, sent me an e-mail to guehardt@ centurytel.net
    Give the kid a break. She's 16 and wants to look and feel like an eventer out there.

To the OP - I think the colors sound great - my own caution would be against polos on the xc, but that has nothing to do with your original question I'd also caution against sending money to someone you met on a BB (no offense to Gnep who is by all accounts a standup guy).
    Treat Jockey for Spellbound and Smidgeon

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post
    I also have a plain bay with no markings and my colors are red and black. I think it looks great heavy on the black...light on the red.
    My colors are also red and black, and have been since I started eventing 20 years ago. I tend to also go heavy on the black and light on the red, but I'm on a grey.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...ny74/MTPC3.jpg

Honestly, as long as you are safe, prepared, and having fun, nobody really cares what colors you choose. Pick what suits you.