The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Saddle Dilemma...WWYD?

So here is my saddle dilemma:
    As of now, I have a jumping saddle and a dressage saddle. The jumping saddle doesn't fit me anymore, dressage doesn't fit the horse. I need to sell them both. With the money I make from them both, I will buy a new set.
    Here is the question:
    Would you rather buy a good quality all purpose saddle that fits both
    A cheap jumping and a cheap dressage

I am not tooo seriously competing. Maybe 6 competitions throughout the year. Competitions range from open flat schooling shows, breed shows, jumping, dressage and eventing. I know which one I am leaning towards, and know what most of you will say, but just wondering.
    What would you do?

I would buy a good CC. You can do lower level dressage decently in a CC. You can't really jump in a dressage or AP.

I second a good quality close contact. As long as it fits your leg properly (not too forward cut) you can easily use it for dressage. My eventing coach always recommends a close contact to anyone buying a single saddle. And IMO it's way more comfortable than an AP.

San Diego

I was in the same position you are in last year- my CC saddle didn't fit new horse, and I had outgrown my dressage saddle. I settled on a nice close contact, which I use for riding, training, and showing comfortably and securely. My saddle has a medium deep seat and not-too forward flaps so I can drop my leathers a hole or two for dressage work, but still be able to jump comfortably.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

Default Get a County Dresprix!!

County makes a saddle that has movable flaps. It's called the Dresprix. The seat is deeper than a normal close contact, but not as deep as a dressage saddle. The flaps actually can be adjusted to three different positions. I have one and it's a GREAT, versatile saddle, but I don't use mine anymore because it's too small for my butt.

Boston Area

The County Despri might work, but only if your leg isn't very long; they flaps can really only be adjusted to a moderate jumping position. I know people who've had them, but when I looked at how the flaps adjusted I knew I would never be able to jump in one!

I'd go with a good cc saddle, although some of the saddles advertised as A/P might do as well. I had very good success using my Albion A/P saddle for everything. The Stubben Siegfried is sold as an A/P, too.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

With very few exceptions I still think think AP saddles don't put you in the correct position for jumping OR dressage.

If you're doing lower level dressage stuff, you can do it in a CC. You can't really jump in a dressage saddle though. (I mean, you can. Heck you can sort of jump in a Western too....but it's not that fun)

I would invest in a nice used CC. I got my Crosby--older model, in good shape, etc for 400 bucks on tacktrader.

Try a few saddles on your horse and see what fits and then go hunt for that model online. You should be able to get a pretty good deal in this market.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Toronto, Canada.

I have a devocoux CC saddle,love it. I not only feel its a great saddle for jumping, but it puts you in a great position for flatwork too. I can understand the want for a dressage saddle though, it really does put you in a different position...rotates you pelvis more I think.

However, if you did want a "cheap" dressage saddle that actually fits,and feels good I recommend this one. I have ridden in schleese, stubben etc. and find this one more than comparable but it is synthetic. I actually REALLY liked the positioning of it for rider, and horse. Thehorse I used it on at the time, was very back sensitive, but it fit him well.

Beyond the pale.

I would shop the used tack stores and for the same price as any new saddle, would get older, good quality jumping and dressage saddles. People don't see the saddle when you're riding and they DO see the position it puts you in. I wouldn't bother with any "cheap" new saddle- they are cheap for all the wrong reasons.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

I would not buy a "cheap" (read "questionable quality") saddle under any circumstances. I would buy a modestly priced good quality saddle if it fit my needs.

There are some general purpose saddles that can work for multiple disciplines. My wife bought an almost new Stubben Siegfried VSD-DL from at a VERY fair price. It's not optomized for either dressage or jumping but will serve for both uses at the amatuer level.

If you want to add trail saddle capability look at the Stubben Scout. It's almost the same as the Siegfried VSD-DL but with ten D-rings. Again, not a perfect saddle for either dressage or jumping but more than adequate for an amateur.

I'm sure other quality makers have general purpose saddles that can do for both. The major benefit is that you only have to have one saddle and your horse will thank you for making it a good one.

The saddle does not make a rider. You just don't want one that will interfere with you pursuits.

Take some time to visit the biggest tack shop you can find and spend some time looking at different offerings. If can't go new at least you will have some names and sizes to start shopping the used market.

Good luck in your project.

New York/New Jersey

I recommend the Butet with the deep seat. Lost my saddles in a barn fire and replaced them all with this one. I love it! I wouldn't go cheap.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Quote Originally Posted by CatOnLap View Post
    I would shop the used tack stores and for the same price as any new saddle, would get older, good quality jumping and dressage saddles. People don't see the saddle when you're riding and they DO see the position it puts you in. I wouldn't bother with any "cheap" new saddle- they are cheap for all the wrong reasons.
    I would go this route...but I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. For example, if you are looking to spend around ~$1000 total then I would def start looking around for older, used, good quality saddles of both types. You can pick up used crosby's and collegiates for around $400. I'm not familiar with dressage saddles but I'm sure older, good quality brands probably run similarly. It will probably be more work as you'll want to try them to make sure they are sound, fit the horse and put you in a nice place. I don't have experience with either crosby or collegiates personally but I've heard they are nice saddles that get the job done. It's a saddle buyers market so you have an advantage. As others said stay far, far away from newer cheap saddles of off brand makers.
    If you only want to spend somewhere around $600 total then you're probably better off buying a good quality, used CC that puts you in a nice place.

Maybe start looking at online sites to get a feel for what's available. Rick's has several listed:

I ended up getting a Pessoa Gen X. My horse loves it, and I can do both dressage and jumping in it just fine. As other posters have said, you can find nice quality saddles w/o going the "you'll be sorry cheap route." I paid $900 for a brand new saddle because somebody got to close to it w/ a sprinkler and left rain spots on it.