The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How superstitous are you? A funny pre-event dream

I had a dream last night that I was going around xc at Ocala (where I'm entered next weekend, for Boomer's first event). Everything's going fine, we're zippin' along, flying over the jumps, when all of a sudden I don't know where to go. Whoever was in charge of coloring the different level flags had chosen pink for both BN and Advanced. My horse, bless his heart, popped right over the bank/corner/log combo like it was nothing. I pulled him up to check the course map, but of course it had fallen out of my pocket (don't ask why I was wearing jeans & 1/2 chaps!). So while I'm wandering around looking for my next fence, I find some BNT- don't remember which one- who points me in the right direction. I finish up my course, and then forget to go through the finish flags. So when I DO finally finish, I have something like 4 minutes of time penalties

I'm not one for signs and omens, but I thought it was pretty funny. Anyone have any similar stories to share?

I've had that dream! Just walk your course twice and you'll be fine.

Your brain is just mentally rehearsing. Once you walk the course, visualize a good run-- each fence and how you will ride it. You're going to have a blast!

I used to have a dream about a week before an event. I'd be walking xc, and the course would look very inviting, beautiful footing, straightforward jumps. As I went along, the jumps got more and more complex and difficult (kind of like some of the recent **** courses ) and, finally, it would become a furniture warehouse (I have NO idea where that came from), with no place to take off, no place to land, and these huge piles of dressers, headboards, buffets, sofas making up the jumps, with no space between them. As bizzare as that sounds, I had the dream repeatedly during the years I was eventing.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Default XC Dreamin

I once had a dream where we were on XC and everything was going great, nice course normal jumps...then all of a sudden the course changed and we had to jump thru an open window of house, like right into a living room! I then saw that the couch was flagged and had to figure out a way to jump it, since it wasn't at the correct angle to jump it from where we were without crossing our path. I was looking all over the walls to figure out where to go next, and wondering how things had changed so much since the course walk! Then I saw a hallway with a direction marker and went down it, then the ceiling started to get really low and I was noticing decorations and family pictures (not mine) in the walls.
    Too weird, then I woke up. No idea what that dream meant!!!
    Holly
    With these horses, you gotta enjoy the journey!
    www.equineonestop.com/blog

I had an amusing dream before an event this year, where we were entered BN. I was walking my course, rounded a corner through a hedge/fenceline, and was surprised by our next fence, which was similar in size and design to the massive old Rolex Broken Bridge. My first thought, in my dream, was "I'm glad I didn't decide to run him Novice!" Then I went on to plan how I was going to ride it.... (not sure what I had to drink before I went to bed that night).

Event came and went, and no Broken Bridge, Lexington Bank, Jenny Lane Crossing....whew!

Wow! SO glad to know I'm not the only one that has the furniture warehouse and the XC-through-the-house dreams! I've also had ones where it goes through an office/conference room and all the tables are jumps and they are too close together and no room to take off, land, or turn. I remember there was one where there was an impossibly tight turn and I was complaining about how XC has become overly technical to the point it isn't safe.

I have pre-event nightmares all the time! I always used to forget my stadium course (1, 2!!!!, 3...) and its called pulling a Steph now at my barn. So Im paranoid Ill do it again.

But you know what I did do at one event his year? I got to the dressage warmup for Entry (BN) with my youngster, and realized I hadnt learned the dressage test! Im used to just riding the Training tests, which I know off by heart. Hahah. I had to borrow an Omnibus from a guy standing by the warmup. And then rode a nice test!

I had a VERY memorable dream on the night before XC at my horse's second training-level event. In real life, I had walked the course and was surprised by how big it was, and some of the questions were things I had never seen before. I was particularly worried about the final fence: a training-level version of an Irish bank with one stride across the top of the bank. So on the night before XC, I went to sleep thinking (and worrying) about this XC course and wondering how my green horse would handle it. In my dream, we jumped that final fence, the Irish bank, perfectly and galloped across the finish line with me patting my horses neck and making a big deal of him. Then a volunteer ran up to us, obviously distressed, and said "What are you doing?!?!?! You didn't jump any of the other fences on course!" I woke up so disappointed that I'd messed up so badly ... and then realized it was just a dream! Instead of going out on XC that morning scared of the jumps, I went out excited, eager to have a chance to redeem the mistake I made in my dream. (And, as a postscript, he did in fact jump everything perfectly and come home double-clear, despite my initial worrying!)
    I evented just for the Halibut.

These are great I wonder if I'll have the furniture nightmare (I HATE furniture stores), after reading all these...

I haven't had this one in a while, but used to get it all the time while i was in school. In the dream I'd brought my horse to school for show and tell. Eventually, we'd be doing a stadium course in the classroom, over everyone's desks. Most of the dream was the same each time, except the "course" of desks would change so I'd have different combinations and stridings. Also, usually my horse could also fly, so we could bank off the walls and ceiling...which was just cool.

I've also had the "forgot my course/dressage test" dream. (Sometimes I couldn't wake up, as it was actually happening! LOL)
    *Barefoot Eventers Clique*
    Photos of the barefoot mare: http://www.grandstridesphoto.com/ja_...1_09_1040.html

I regularly have dreams of xc courses which are just beyond imagining - they are certainly not spaced or sized suitable for any horse! Slick mud, slides like the Grand Canyon, and things that look like they belong in Disneyland (or a wet'n wild theme park).

My other really horrible dream is trying to get ready for a dressage test, and I just can't get anything done in time. Especially my hair. It keeps falling loose. And I don't know the test. (These are not normally issues for me at all - I have both very much under control in real life).

Quote Originally Posted by Equa View Post
    My other really horrible dream is trying to get ready for a dressage test, and I just can't get anything done in time. Especially my hair. It keeps falling loose. And I don't know the test. (These are not normally issues for me at all - I have both very much under control in real life).
    This actually happened to me at champs this year. Our horse van got stuck so we were late and when I finally got into the warmup my hunt cap kept falling off. It was about to be a hair disaster when a hunter-gone-eventer friend came along and fixed it so that it was permanently attached to my head. She managed to fix it just before I had to go in.

My fear dream is that I get the times wrong, and I'm RUNNING to the XC start box only to realize I don't have my vest...then my number....and so forth. I'm so frantic I almost explode.

Usually about then I wake up.....feeling pretty darn frantic.

Mine is arriving early in the morning before an event in the dark, in the rain and realizing that I have 5 minutes to get my filthy, muddy grey horse bathed, braided, tacked-up and warmed-up before my dressage test....

Default I'll play!

The furniture warehouse and jumping into the house -- holy cow, people!

I had a dream last night that Katy and I were doing an XC course that was laid out on one of those golf courses that is sort of part of a neighborhood development. We would be out on the grass, jumping sensible logs and things, then we would have to trot down paved streets to get to the next area of the course. Then we jumped into a water jump, and it was so deep that Katy sort of disappeared out from under me, then I got back on her while we were both still in the water, and suddenly, I was riding in my bathing suit (but still wearing boots, gloves, and helmet, safety first, ya know). We finished the course that way. I don't think I got eliminated for coming off in the water, since we were literally swimming around in there, but managed to come out together.

I think I know why I had the water jump dream, though -- there is a belly-deep stream crossing at our farm that she just charged into the other day, and I'm sure that's what triggered it.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Sometime in the early 90s, I was competing a youngster at the training level at Champagne Run (I think the first one) while my good friend GoTime (who posts on here) was competing two at the Intermediate level (one her horse, the other a horse that belonged to a friend). The night before XC, it was POURING down rain, and I woke up in the middle of the night after having a dream that her 2nd horse (the one not belonging to her) didn't have studs, which he would need after a deluge at the horse park, especially going Intermediate.

Upon waking up the next morning, I shared my dream with her. She told me all was well, because she'd had the shoer out specifically that week to make sure "Woody" was drilled and tapped all the way around.

Fast forward a few hours, when her husband was putting studs in. He picks up the front foot, stud holes. Moves to the rear end, ruh-roh....NO STUD HOLES IN THE BACK. Guess the shoer forgot about those two shoes on the back end.

How's that for some deja vu?
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

My personal favorite fence in the furniture dream is the bounce over the headboard and footboard of my bed!!
    My other recurring dream happens every spring while I'm gearing up for the season...I forget that I'm competing, so I show up in shorts and a t-shirt, no tack, no breeches, nothing. Then I put my horse in a stall, go to find my packet...and when I come back, not only is my horse gone, but they've moved the barn too--instead of the barns at GMHA I'm now at Morven Park or something and I have to figure out where I put my horse. I finally get tacked up, and I've forgotten to put my boots on. I put my boots on, I turn around and my horse is gone again! Usually after a few minutes of this I realize it's a dream and I wake up laughing...but it does make me doublecheck my packing list before I leave for the event.....

Ooooh, you made me remember another dream I had....

I was doing my first Training event (which I haven't done IRL), and my coach's daughter let me borrow her beautiful paint (which, to my knowledge, doesn't exist). I'd never riddent this horse, but for some reason I was on bareback w/ just a halter--and it was my XC time, so I had to go (apparently we were in 2nd place after dressage).

So this paint and I do Training XC bareback w/ just a halter, and we rock. We're an incredible team. I'm so thrilled afterwards, thinking I hope she considers selling this horse to me--we're soul mates. I think it, he jumps it.

Then my trainer (or maybe it's someone else, I can't recall) says for me to watch my back, and watch the horse--since I was stil in 2nd place, it's likely the other competitors would try to kill me or my horse.

!!!

Very odd indeed.