The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question Equine Affaire in MA - Who's Going?

Hey All!

We just got our official Equine Affaire schedule and it is SO exciting! Looks like it will be total immersion in all things horsey for 4 days! Two weeks away, I can hardly wait!

Anyone else going? Anyone been in years past? How was it? How's the weather up there?

I'll be going on Friday. I went last year. It was fun. Don't know what your discipline is. If you ride English, you will find there is lots of western stuff to bypass. But there is a wide variety of everything--tack, apparel, feed, supplements, barn supplies, etc. Last year I didn't even have time to look at the breed demonstrations. Wear layers/warm clothing, because it can get chilly walking in between the buildings.

Thanks Luise!

My *discipline* is gaited I guess, and I am so excited that Liz Graves will be there. She gave a gaited clinic here a few weeks ago and I was only an hour away but I was at an Obstacle Challenge so I missed her clinic. Everyone that went was very complimentary, so this is my "second chance".

LOL, I want to see it *ALL*! I like western and english and all things in between. Thank goodness, the people I am coming with are on board with "get there early and stay til the end" so I hope to see a lot. We are all packing light and bringing an empty bag to haul our purchases! The way we figure it, the cost of an extra bag on the plane is less htan shipping. Our Trail Club is having our Annual Tack Sale next Sunday, I always sell stuff (Jake doesn't always approve of my purchases) so that'll be my E.A. $$.
    Last edited by 2Jakes; Oct. 31, 2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: CaSE kEy issues...

I love the shopping and I love the smaller "back ring" clinics which often are more specialized and feature lesser-known clinicians. Saw one last year with a guy named Duane Esser, who coached a woman on a very tense saddlebred gelding. He brought them to an amazingly improved level of relaxation that really let that gelding shine. I don't know anything about saddle seat riding, and I heard him say a lot that was very much in line with what I hear from dressage clinicians, to my surprise.

I also love wandering through the barns. So many breeds! And most of the owners will be happy to bring their horses out to show you and tell you all about them.

It will be warm outside from about noon to 4, if the sun is out. Otherwise chilly! And the parking area is a long walk away, so bring a jacket or sweater.

This year I'm definitely going to sit in a bunch of saddles, to narrow down the list of brands & styles I like, so I can look for used ones of that type next year. I won't be spending though.

My friend and I are going on Saturday and I am so excited. I've never been before and I am really looking forward to it.
    I'm saving my money to do some shopping while I am there. WHOOHOO!

bump...

I'm going! I'll probably go on Thursday, or maybe every day I know some people who are riding in clinics with Lendon Gray and Gina Miles so that should be fun to watch. Oh and if you go, check out the Arab Breed section! My BO has an adorable Arab/Irish Sporthorse weanling who's going to be there.

I am starting with 2 days (Thursday and Sunday), and may end up going for more. I have some shopping to do, and want to attend some clinics and seminars.

Question: where are the breed demonstrations being done? Someone on another board (I think) mentioned that they are done in the small ring out in the back. Is that true?

I'm bringing a horse up from MD, so I'll be there!

I'm his trainer, taking him up to meet the owner up there - CanaDream Farms is the farm name. He's a Cheval Canadien. We're doing a breed demo on Thursday at 1pm.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

This is great! I'm going to print up this thread before I leave and add the demos, barn names and CoTH horses to visit to my schedule. We are getting in Wed and will be there every day.

Maybe I should wear a name tag on my jacket that says 2Jakes!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    Question: where are the breed demonstrations being done? Someone on another board (I think) mentioned that they are done in the small ring out in the back. Is that true?
    There is the big main arena, which seats thousands and is used for the big name clinics and some of the bigger breed demos. There are at least two or three smaller rings in other buildings (check your map when you get there) which are used for smaller breed demos and lesser known trainers. They are more the size of a typical riding arena, with bleachers that hold a few hundred people. Not outdoors or anything!

There are about six buildings on the site, including the barns, so there is a lot to see!

Anyone else bringing horses for breed demos, etc.?

The Equine Affaire website has schedules including breed demo times and locations!
    I hope to go on Thursday and beat the crowds!

My little group is going from friday to Sunday. WE do fantasia Friday night and just shop and watch all weekend. The last few years the Fantasia show hasn't been really spectacular, but we keep going! This year I'm making a a list of what I'd like and noting the average catalog price so I can compare and see if I'm actually getting a deal. It's a "girls' weekend" that we've been doing for ????? years and we look forward to it every year. Maybe we can meet???? Wear nametags.

Chief...some of the breed demos are done in a ring set up in the building that has the all trucks and trailers on display. It's the dome shaped building off by itself near the entrance, can't remember the name of it. If I go it's where I can usually be found drooling all over the custom trucks.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Good idea! I'm totally going to wear a nametag that says ellemayo

When I go the EA I wear a black baseball cap that has "Misty Blue" glued to it in blingy stones. Really hard to miss me unless you're trying to. I figure it's good to give folks the option of meeting me or not...they see me coming and can either come up and say "hi" or run like hell in the other direction.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Chief,, I think the Mallary Bldg is the one you're thinking of for some demos. Trailers , etc and some of the "mini" lectures in the back stage areas. Also, I think some of the clinicians set up there, in the back. I hope the weather is decent. The wind can really whip between those buildings.

Default I have two presentations.....

Saturday 11 and 2:30......

Management of spinal pain and gender differences and their influences on riding stability..........

Regards,
    medical Mike
    equestrian medical researcher
    www.fitfocusedforward.us

I'm going to go get a hat!! Great idea!! I was thinking of that very thing this morning and how it could either be an invite to meet or to avoid, depending . LOL! We'll all have to bring a list of names to look for, like a scavenger hunt! Or a birder's life list, check people off as we go. Hmm, I know a place that does embroidery...I could get a foxtrotter and an Aussie and "2Jakes" in between...or there is always fabric paint...and a hat might help keep my head warm (my thin South Florida blood is gonna' be hurtin' up there!). I'm cold just thinking about the wind whipping between buildings! Brrr!

Medical Mike...I saw that gender difference lecture and thought it might be interesting, although I don't ride with any guys that complain. BUT, for the future, if I do, I will be able to discuss the problem in an educated fashion. The spine pain would also be good info.

This is my first year to go to EA, and its a "girl's weekend" with two friends from down here. They've been before and loved it. I can hardly wait! Good idea to bring catalog prices too! I'll be looking for new and/or different stuff, I really don't have anything in particular in mind, I just figure if it's something I *need* I'll knows it when I sees it.