The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How often do you have your horses teeth floated?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Every 6 months or twice a year

15 15.96%
  • Once a year

53 56.38%
  • Once every 2 years

5 5.32%
  • I do not remember the last time I had them floated

2 2.13%
  • Other, please explain

19 20.21%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How often do you have your horses teeth floated?

1) Every 6 Months

2) Once a year

3) Once every 2 years

4) I cannot remember the last time!

5) Other, please explain

I have mine checked 2x a year, but they usually only get done once, at least so far.

Other.

Checked when the "tooth fairy" comes to the barn (2x per year) done as necessary. *Usually* it's only needed once a year.

I voted once a year. My vet does a power float and it really fixes any issues, so I don't see the need for doing it more often. My guys have pretty "normal" teeth, so that probably makes a difference as well.

I have my girls done once a year (usually in the fall)........barring any unexpected issues. But her teeth are also checked during her spring shots/check-up appointment (I split the shots, so I have my vet do a full check-up, eyes, teeth, etc., at the first spring visit).
    Proud Mom of a 2005 Nevada Mustang **Mistress X**
    Undersaddle Equestrian Services
    www.undersaddle.com

They get checked twice a year, but he always just gets it once a year (spring). He did have some dental issues one year and was done twice.

I checked "other". My horses are always checked by the vet when a Coggins test is pulled. If they are sharp, then they are floated then. I check them myself after six months and have the vet refloat if needed.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Milo gets his done once a year in the winter. Bless my vet, his office really doesn't coordinate things well- they offer a 20% off for floats in the winter because buisness is usually slower- but that means my vet gets more float appointments, and in the dead of winter, wet hands are not fun!
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

About once a year, or as needed.

Checked twice a year, floated when needed, which is usually once a year, sometimes more, sometimes less.
    Click here before you buy.

other - whenever my vet says they need to be done.

he checks teeth at spring shots and fall shots. usually about 2 horses get done each outing.

I hope no one needs their teeth done tomorrow, I scheduled him to come out during my normal Sat riding time!

Other.

Ditto on when the equine dentist is out. Usually they do need to be done twice a year, least for Gus. Both guys are checked twice a year regardless and then done if needed.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Checked annually, done as required. Older horses usually done annually, but sometimes they go two years and sometimes they need an extra one in six months. Younger horses usually go two, sometimes three years.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Checked twice a year, floated when needed, which is usually once a year, sometimes more, sometimes less.
    Mouth issues are much better off avoided rather than dealt with afterwards!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Under 5 yrs old, or over 14, twice a yr. Otherwise yearly.

Other...

They are checked by a pro (equine dentist or vet, depending on which I'm using for teeth ) every spring and by me (yes, I know how ) in the fall at least (and any time I think I might be seeing signs of a problem). They are floated whenever they need it: rarely (for my two) more than once a year (baby needed a 6-month job once as a 3 y/o, and Jude had a 6-month one a few years back - but in that case, the vet who did the first float didn't do a very good job), and often not for 18-24 months.

It really does depend on the horse, though - I've known horses with "normal" teeth who very much needed to be done routinely every six months, and that's not to mention the horses who have alignment issues and may need to be touched up even more often. And on the other hand, Jude, when younger, went 5 YEARS without needing a float, and I trained a horse once whose owner couldn't ever recall have had his teeth done (she'd owned him for upwards of 10 years), and when I had him was just at that "Yeah, they should be done soon-ish, but it's not a rush" stage.

I definitely vote for having teeth CHECKED every 6 months, though - and then floated when the checks indicate they need it.
    Proud member of the EDRF

Kai is done every 6 months, so Gambler is checked every 6 months. Kai gets horrible ulcers and very aggitated (rightfully so!) if he goes more than 7 or 8 months without being floated, and he does have "normal" teeth. Typically Gam only needs it yearly, but this year he's going to need to be done twice.
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Once a year usually. When I had a youngster, they were floated every 6 months.

Other- the vet checks twice a year and floats them as needed.
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
    Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !

I voted other, please explain -

My mare's teeth are checked by the "horse" dentist twice a year - floated if needed. We usually end up floating once a year . . . although one year she also needed it at six months.