The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Safeguard (or panacur) wormer question

I was ordering some of this wormer from Country Supply and it has a 10 dose pack for $54.99, or individual tubes for $6.49. I wanted to order the l0 dose pack but the order taker said that was a "power pak" where you are supposed to use 2 tubes a day for 5 days.

I've never heard of using Safeguard as a power pak, only the Panacur (although both are fenbendazoles) I'm confused. I just wanted the l0 dose price since it is cheaper by almost $l when ordering it in 10 dose packs.

Safe-Guard and Panacur are made by the exact same company and are both 10% fenbendazole paste suspensions. But for the love of God, don't pay $54 for a PowerPac. That's highway robbery. If you value your pocketbook, read the thread below.

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=169342
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Really $54 is not terrible depending on the size of the horse. I spent close to that buying the liquid for my guy (had to get 3 bottles). Of course for a smaller horse they probably only need two bottles.

How much are you paying for your liquid? If you are buying online from somewhere not agri-med, change If you have a local TSC, you save shipping

$16, give or take a bit, plus shipping (ie agri-med) or not (ie TSC) per 125mL bottle. 5 bottles for 2500lb of horseflesh, $80. I'd be paying $50-ish for a Power Pac, x 2, plus an additional tube for the bigger horse, for more than $100.

The very best buy is to buy the Safeguard (febendazole) in the quart bottles. I am able to buy them at my local farm supply -- usually around $115 to $120 per bottle. It is dosed at a rate of 2.3 ml per 100 pounds, I then draw up the appropriate amount per pony. I think it is MUCH easier to draw up the right amount, and give them a liquid, rather than having all these bits of wormer left over in the paste tubes -- plus we never have a problem with the them spitting out the liquid the way they always seem to with paste. (I have grown to despise worming with paste!)

Plus, the pull date is usually quite far off, so you can use it over a long period of time if stored properly (in the house, or temp controlled tack room). WAY cheaper than anything that comes in tubes!!

We also get Strongid (non brand name) directly from our vet in quart bottles. It takes a larger amount per animal, but it so much cheaper than tubes -- and smells yummy besides!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I tried the liquid for my picky horse and she refused to eat her grain after I top dressed the liquid. It is not always accepted, and it's too thin to syringe into them. The liquid WAS cheap--about $35 for 3 125 mL bottles--but it sure didn't do ME any good. I went back and bought the powerpac.

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    It is dosed at a rate of 2.3 ml per 100 pounds,
    That's a normal dose. The "power pack" is 4.6mL/100lb

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I tried the liquid for my picky horse and she refused to eat her grain after I top dressed the liquid. It is not always accepted, and it's too thin to syringe into them. The liquid WAS cheap--about $35 for 3 125 mL bottles--but it sure didn't do ME any good. I went back and bought the powerpac.
    If you wanted to try again to save the $$ you can take some blackstrap molasses, dilute at least 1:1 with water, and mix some of that in.

Default liquid Ivercide?

jn4jenny:

So is this the one I would order for the liquid ivermectin. The liquid is also alot cheaper than buying individual paste wormers.

Thanks for your help

Default liquid ivermectrin

Quote Originally Posted by blueribbonpanel View Post
    jn4jenny:

So is this the one I would order for the liquid ivermectin. The liquid is also alot cheaper than buying individual paste wormers.

Thanks for your help
    Hmm...I thought we were talking about fenbendazole, not ivermectin!

But either way, yes, both ivermectin and fenbendazole are available in liquid suspensions that are cheaper than paste.

Default wormer - liquid vs. individual tubes

jn4jenny,
    yup i was talking about the safeguard, but also wanted to know if this same company has the liquid ivermectin. I don't see it listed. The liquid is also alot cheaper than buying individual tubes. BTW, where IS the best place to buy the liquid?

for the person who said her horse won't eat the wormer top dressed on the grain, i mix my stuff with applesauce, put it in a syringe and syringe it in. its really easy to do, horses love it. I do this with bute, smz tablets, etc. I get the little individual servings of applesauce.

Agri-Med seems popular. They sell it in 125mL, 1000mL, and one gallon sizes. http://www.agri-med.com/site/255063/page/917632

Intervet, which is the company that sells fenbendazole under the brand names, Safe-Guard and Panacur. To my knowledge, they don't sell liquid ivermectin. But other companies, like Merial, do--I think their brand name is Eqvalan.

And while we're having this chat, there's also liquid pyrantel pamoate! Noble Ridge Veterinary Supply sells all of these products, albeit not at the best prices out there.