The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ThinLine Pads?

Does anyone have one of these? I've heard some good things about them, but have never used one. Do you like them better than the Mattes pads?

I have the Contour and the Ultra Thinlines and a Mattes. I love them all for different reasons.

I use the Thinlines with my jump saddle - the saddle fits my horse pretty well as it is and Thinlines don't affect the fit. I use the Contour at home and save the Ultra for shows - there is no real reason for that choice, other than they gave me the Ultra for free and it's really nice, so I kind of save it.

I like the Mattes with my dressage saddle. The saddle is a touch big on the little tyke and a custom isn't in the cards, so I use the Mattes, which takes up a little room.

My saddle fitter is a big fan of both as well, but particularly likes the Thinline because it doesn't exacerbate pressure points from the saddle, if there are any (like other synthetic materials such as foam or gel sometimes can).
    Treat Jockey for Spellbound and Smidgeon

I'm going to level with you: When I first got my contour, I LOVED it. For about a week. Then I rode w/o it a few times and I couldn't tell the difference. Then I put it back on to check and I couldn't tell the difference.

It makes no sense to me because the first few rides were AMAZING. I don't know if it was the placebo effect or something else. I am disappointed to have such an expensive piece of equipment sitting there collecting dust.

I have the sheepskin half pad with the thin line inserts and LOVE it.

I also have a mattes half pad and love it too -- different saddles, different horses. Really like the thin line half pad though -- If I were picking one it would win.
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Love the Thinline pads - we use them will all of our horses in two different disciplines and there isn't a horse on our farm that doesn't go better. No more sore back for me either when I ride my husband's bone jarring runaway sewing machine polocrosse horse.

Default I've been meaning to get advice on Thinline...

I'm thinking about getting the sheepskin half pad to use for jumping and dressage. My saddles, though not custom, fit pretty well, so I don't need to worry about adding some bulk to fill in. I'm currently torn between this Thinline and the equivalent Mattes pad. Feedback from those who have used one or both? Thanks!
    “I always knew I had the ability, I just had to find the horse to get me there.” - Calvin Borel, on riding Street Sense to victory in the 2007 Kentucky Derby

Quote Originally Posted by bip View Post
    I'm going to level with you: When I first got my contour, I LOVED it. For about a week. Then I rode w/o it a few times and I couldn't tell the difference. Then I put it back on to check and I couldn't tell the difference.

It makes no sense to me because the first few rides were AMAZING. I don't know if it was the placebo effect or something else. I am disappointed to have such an expensive piece of equipment sitting there collecting dust.
    Same here, unfortunately - this reminds me that I should eBay the thing! I'm sticking to sheepskin.
    "A canter is a cure for every evil." -Benjamin Disraeli

I have a uber wide fatty that had back and saddle fitting issues. I had started having a very achy hip once I got the wide saddle to fit him. It was really disturbing to me and the thing constantly ached which is NOT fun at all. I got the thinline for my horse and then one day it dawned on me that my hip wasn't aching anymore. I had actually forgotten totally about the hip since it wasn't bothering me anymore. A friend asked how my hip was doing and I said doesn't bother me at all anymore.......and then I thought about why and realized it was because of the pad!! Go figure.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

Couldn't tell any difference when they first came out (years and years ago, and they were a heck of a lot cheaper then), and then I tried my trainer's Thinline and still couldn't tell any difference. I use a Corrector pad on my two boys and that is the only thing that has held up to the test of time - I swear by it.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Quote Originally Posted by Coppers mom View Post
    Does anyone have one of these? I've heard some good things about them, but have never used one. Do you like them better than the Mattes pads?

I bougt an ultra thinline awhile back and switched from a sheepskin half pad to that. I honestly saw NO difference with the thinline and actually I think it protected my horses back LESS than the sheepskin pad. Oddly my horse came up slightly back sore for the first time ever when I stopped using the sheepskin. I sold the thinline on Ebay and went back to the sheepskin. After massage/chiro his back is fine. I dunno, maybe he is just a freak of nature but I wasn't impressed.

My old horse loved his sheepskin and I think it was the fluffy softness against his TB skin...

I have a thinline for my dressage saddle now. the saddle was slipping forward b/c while it fit, the horse was beginning to use her hind end more powerfully, but not lifting the withers so it ended up sliding forward. The thinline made it fit a bit better (disadvantage of foam saddle) and the horse went better. My saddle fitter and instructor both approved of this fix. They love the saddle and didn't understand why it slid. Horse and rider also love saddle, so it's not going anywhere...

I also used it during a period where she had a tight muscle in her back and the weather was cold - next to her skin it held the heat so her newly-massaged back didn't tighten up again.

Otherwise I used it between the pad and the saddle.

I like that it's not as bulky and heavy as those gel pads, and not as pricy as supracore. But miracle? Not really.

Dumb question: how do you use them? Under the saddle, on top of the pad? Or under the pad? Or something totally different?

I use two different thinlines. One is just a contoured thinline that I use over the normal pad on horses that have beginning riders. I have seen a difference in how these horses go with it and it does seem to absorb some shock for the riders, as well. I think a regular thinline can be great for any horse who has less experienced riders!

I also have a thinline ultra sheepskin half pad. I use all sheepskin pads directly on the horse's back because I like the wicking abilities of sheepskin as well as the comfort of the natural material on the horse's back. I really like this pad; the horses tend to go better in it for both jumping and dressage. It does need to be thoroughly dried after each ride.

Thinline also has great service. I got my half pad at Rolex this year and by October it was already coming apart a little bit with normal wear (the sheepskin was ripping away from the other material). I sent it back and received a new one promptly. Hopefully I will not have this problem again.

One other half pad I use is a Griffin Nuumed. The wither clearance is great, I have had it for years with minimal wear, and you can toss it right in the washing machine. I actually had to get a half pad because no normal pads would fit the forward flap of the Antares I ride in, so half pads certainly have another use with hard-to-fit saddles, as well.

Hope this helps!

Haley

i have a thinline and a mattes... i prefere the mattes for competing as i think it looks much more professional. i school in the thinline as it really doesn't get that dirty. i like the thinline because it absorbs shock in regular saddle pads. however, i don't think it does much good on top of poly pads.
    I'll lean on you and you lean on me and we'll be okay. -Dave Matthews Band

I prefer the Thinline pads over gel pads, mattes pads, ect. because they offer the horse some protection and shock absorbing ability, but because they are so thin you stay very close to the horse. I personally hate having lots of padding between me and the horse. And I see a noticable difference in many horses when using the Thinline (I like the contoured one.)

Default The CotH search feature is your friend.

I have a Thinline, and I'm not sure if it helps or not. My main and quite large objection to the pad is it has NO wither relief or shaping, so I have to struggle with the darn thing every time I go to use it, to keep it from riding down on my horse's withers. I use it over a properly shaped square pad with lots of wither clearance, and I've still had it pull down onto the withers. Because this hassle, I tend to use my Mattes correctional pad more. I also have a couple horses that are dropped on one side or the other, so the correctional pad allows for a little fill adjustment. YMMV

Yvonne
    Yvonne Lucas
    Red Moon Farm
    redmoonfarm.com

"Practice doesn't make perfect. PERFECT practice makes perfect." - Jim Wofford

"Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant." - Jim Wofford