The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Pregnant COTH'ers~ check in!

It's been awhile, and I know we have quite a few ladies here who are expecting~ myself included!
    Time to check in~

How are you doing?
    How far along?
    Boy/girl?
    Are you still riding?
    How long do you plan to keep riding?
    Is this your first child?
    Excited/nervous/anxious?

I am now 34 weeks today, according to the measurements they took in July I'm due December 11th. Buuut~ my original due date was December 6th, and I've had that feeling all along it would be a Thanksgiving baby. Well, at my appointment Tuesday, they told me if I don't go into labor by Thanksgiving, they will induce on Monday, December 1st! We're having a little boy!

I haven't ridden since I was 9 weeks, and that was only briefly, on my old mare. I had two losses last year, so hubby hasn't been too keen on my riding, or even being around horses (he's a real worrywart) I'm really missing it, and hope to get back to riding early next year. Either leasing, or biting the bullet and buying another trailer and finding a project. (Of course, this may all be a pipe dream, since baby will be taking up a lot of spare time, at least for awhile!)

This will be my first child, at age 35. I got a bit of a late start on the whole marriage/kids thing. I'm excited about being a mom, but at the same time, it's going to be a huge change for me. I've always been independent, and able to do my own thing whenever, wherever. Now I'm going to have someone who's completely dependent on me. But at the same time, I am looking forward to the challenge and hope he will take an interest in horses when he's old enough. I'd love nothing better than to be able to share that with him!

How about the rest of you expecting Mommas? How's it going?
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

I'm only 11 weeks along. I went through a nauseousness patch a little while ago for a few weeks but I'm already starting to level off.

This is my second child I had a miscarriage last August and then was having fertility problems since then. It wasn't until I had a week long stay in the hospital this June and they told me to NOT get pregnant for 3 months and we WERE NOT trying that I finally got pregnant. Clearly my hubby and I have no clue what we are doing

I was never much a fan of riding while pregnant. Especially not now since the miscarriage. One of my worst ever riding accidents was on a steady eddie mare that I trust my life with, we were just trotting along at a very relaxed pace on good footing. She simply took a freak misstep and went down with me still in the saddle. She's normally very athletic and generally doesn't do things like that. Even the best of us have goofy moments like that I guess. With the way we fell though I'm sure if I had been pregnant some damage would have been done to the baby. Heck when I was preg. with my first son I slipped and fell on the kitchen floor and started going into labor 1 month before I was due never mind have a horse fall on top of me.

No matter how you slice it, no matter how careful we are, no matter how good our horse is that we ride, no matter how slow we are going riding is dangerous and life is too precious to mess with things like that. I will do fine driving my cart around town the next few months.

I rode once since I found out I was preg. but that was about it. One of the nice things about being preg. during the winter months is that I usually can't ride anyway due to the cold weather.

I am 6 months along. Due February 5. It is another girl - number 4. My poor husband. I am not riding at all and have not for some time. We are down to just two horses and I would not want to take a tumble off of either one of them especially the 17 hander.

What I have been doing is cleaning up all of the hurricane debris. I have been enjoying the weather but if my husband saw what I was doing he would have a heart attack. I guess pregnant women aren't supposed to be on a ladder with a saw. We built a playground behind our roundpen so I go out each morning with our 2 year old daughter and let her play while I tend to barn stuff. I think the horses are turning feral. They come in at night and go out to pasture each morning. I would like to devote nap time to them each day. The baby monitor is clear at the barn so I could take advantage of the 2 hours each day to do some sort of training with the horses.

I look forward to riding again in the spring and starting our QH gelding. Good Luck to all of the other pregnant moms!!!

I am 15 weeks yesterday! I am still riding, will be riding for a few more weeks I think. The doctor is fine with it, and so is my husband, so I feel pretty great. We don't know if its a boy or a girl, but we're hoping for a boy, because we have Sadie, who is just turning 1! I am so excited...but I also can't wait for spring so I can get back to riding more! It keeps me sane with the kiddos and life! And Sadie loves the horses too, so its time for us too!

29 weeks here with my first and won't find out if it's a boy/girl til delivery!

I am still riding but just my own horse - I jumped my last course last week and have to really fight the temptation to pop in a few jumps here and there. I still feel so secure and normal while on horseback that I really have to remind myself that I am almost 7 months pregnant.

Honestly, I am more aware of the horses on the ground - especially turning in and out...I have witnessed more bad accidents on the ground than in the saddle and would much rather be on when someone is acting up than standing beside them.

I love being pregnant (once the nausea of the first trimester was over) but it just hit me yesterday that I am actually going to have to BIRTH this child and that freaked me out a bit
    \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River

Just wondering.

My doc told me to keep up my regular exercise (I'm very active but most of my exercise is real life work not jumping jacks or going to the gym type stuff) but also told me I'm absolutely not to lift anything more then 25 lbs. I would have said something about it then but didn't really think about it until after I got home. 25 lbs is absolutely ridiculous!!!! If I followed that rule I wouldn't even be able to lift my 2 year old. Not to mention the fact that I practically loaded and unloaded 500 50-60lb bales of hay in my 7th month of pregnancy with my first baby. Lifting 75 -100 lbs a day is quite common for me it's not like my body isn't used to it. I'm sure other horsepeople are the same way.

Has anyone else been told such nonsense?

In my car, between work, home, and the barn!

Talking

38 1/2 weeks here and ready to meet this kid! We don't know yet if it's a boy or a girl, so that's #1 on the list of things I want to know!

Haven't ridden since my first trimester - I was planning on stopping at around 13 weeks anyways; that's what I did with my son, but some bleeding led me to quit about a month earlier - just wasn't worth it to take the risk of falling. All problems went away, though, and I'm still running and lugging my 30lb toddler around (although I make *daddy* carry him up the stairs!).

Congrats to all the other expecting mommies on here and best wishes for healthy babies!

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by Miss-O View Post
    I was never much a fan of riding while pregnant. Especially not now since the miscarriage.
    I agree. Now. But, I didn't think it was that big a deal until I got pregnant, was in a horse/cart accident, and lost the baby. While the Docs assure us that wasn't the cause of the loss, it still hits a sore spot and I am not sure that I will ride if I get can pregnant again. I would be roughly 7 months now with a due date of Jan 15. It's been very difficult for me to deal with as I was never 100% sure I wanted kids until I lost my only pregnancy.

Good luck ladies whether it is your first or your 4th girl (your poor hubby)! My heart is with each one of you, even if my body no longer is
    Dreaming in Color

I'm due January 13th. I go riding on my old broodmare every chance I get, just to trail ride, it's entertaining needless to say since she is prego too. The whole family laughs at me. I have like no room, since my torso is small, so I look farther along then I really am. I'm having a boy. This one is my first, and feel so lucky; I never had morning sickness, nothing really that made me feel uncomfortable until now, he is just stretching me out! LOL!! My boyfriend has never rode a horse until about 2 months ago, but he has come to terms that since I ride, he knows his son will ride, he wants to ride. So he is trail riding with me now, and I just love it! It's way too much fun. I even have him in an English saddle!
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

34 weeks and a couple of days... The only way I'd be more miserable if I was on bedrest in the middle of summer with no central air. The puking has come back *I could cry* Everything hurts and I can't breathe. I am seriously ready to meet this kid. Like hunt, I believe we are having a thanksgiving baby. My horse is very upset with me that I haven't been riding her. (she is one of those WEIRD horses that LIKES to be in work) She has quite the raggamuffin look going on, she NEEDS her mane pulled like no bodies business. There is nothing fuglier than a 17h TB with a LONG mane. I didn't realize how bad she looked until the vet was out yesterday and asked me if she was a QH. So that is my lament, aka update. Glad to hear most others are doing well!
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I'm also 34 weeks (and 1 day) today! Nice to read that others are right there with me.

Surprise! We're having twins! No fertility meds and no twins run in the family, so it was just a freak, getting older thing. That's what I get for waiting so long to start a family! We think they're fraternal but won't know until they're born. We also elected not to learn the sex of either, so we'll find that out when they're born too.

I haven't been riding since early in the first trimestesr when I found out it was twins (and automatically considered "high risk"). I figured I didn't need to add the extra risk of riding. My OB and Mr. S are against riding while pregnant anyway. We also have a three year old DD.

I've been on bedrest (and miserable meds) since August for preterm labor and amazed we got this far! Because of the PTL delivery really can come at anytime. My original due date was December 10. I'd like to get to December 1 and would not prefer Thanksgiving babies, but who knows?

How are you doing?

I am doing well!! I had bad acid reflux(not jsut heartburn..) but it seems a bit better now, knock wood!!

How far along?

36 weeks tomorrow!!

Boy/girl?
    Do not know

Are you still riding?
    Yes, once a week for now.

How long do you plan to keep riding?
    I guess until I can't mount from the ground any more? Of course I guess I could use a mounting block,lol!! No, really, Each time I go, I figure I will just see how I feel. If I think it is too much, I'm done.

Is this your first child?
    5th
    Excited/nervous/anxious?
    Very excited!!! I can't wait to meet this little one. And to think it is almost at the "any day now" point!!!!!!

due tomorrow, and got my membranes stripped today, lost my mucus plug about 2 hours ago, and rode/walked for about 10 minutes on Sunday. ready to meet this little girl and get back on my mares. Dr expects contractions to start tonight and to see me in L&D tomorrow some time. my parents will be driving the 12 hrs from florida starting about 10am tomorrow.

wish us luck and an easy delivery.

Sending contraction jingles to Sara... YOU GO GIRL!
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Saratx~ Best wishes& happy baby jingles to you! Here's to a safe and easy labor tomorrow!

Catersun~ Sounds like you're having alot of the fun symptoms I've been having. The acid reflux is lots of fun~ I'm on Zantac 2x a day. The worst is when I eat too much and then cough...I've had food come back up, not from nausea, just from it sitting up so high in my stomach. Very embarassing, but thankfully hasn't happened in front of anyone. (yet) My feet and ankles are out of control again, I could give Frodo Baggins a run for his money. But, the bp was perfect at my visit Tuesday~ 100/60, so that's good and baby's hb was 135. Have they given you an induce date yet? Where are you delivering? Oh, yeah, we HAVE to get together for lunch sometime next week, if you're feeling up to it. Just give me a call. Are you going to try and make it to Jean's show Sunday? I'll be there early afternoon to hang and out get my horse fix~ I need it! I also need a major sushi fix, but that's going to have to wait.....

Hope everyone continues to do well. We need to keep each other posted! Best wishes to all for happy, healthy babies!

Wow, you guys are all pretty far along! I'm only 6 weeks. I haven't even had morning sickness yet. I haven't ridden since finding out, but plan to continue riding. I just wanted to ease into exercise in a more traditional form first, to make sure it didn't cause any problems. This is DH and I's first child, so right now we're just excited (though I think DH is nervous about the mood swings!) I am going to be more cautious when riding my horse and try ride only under "good" circumstances.

Drmgncolor - I am so sorry for your loss. I know how it feels to lose one. Hang in there and don't blame yourself. I'm sure God will bless you with another.

SaraTx - Way to go! You are there! Hope all goes well and you're able to get back in the saddle very quickly!

Mamy - How in the world are you still mounting from the ground at 36 weeks? You must have realllllllly long legs or a realllllly short horse. Or are you a former Rockette? Wow! And congrats on # 5.

I'm expecting #4. 21 weeks along. Still in the saddle, although the program has been adjusted to hopefully increase safety. Like someone else said, lately I've been more threatened from the ground than in the saddle. You truly can never be too careful.

Good luck to all of you!

Not pregnant yet but actively trying....

My horse is JUST barely broke so my husband doesn't want me on her once I'm actually pregnant. We'll see how that works...
    I will have her in training the whole time but I'm sure I'll want to ride too. Fortunately she's two so if I have a baby next year, I'll be back out and riding again when she's four and ready to event - and if it takes a bit longer, my trainer will take her out for me. Either way, when I get back to it, I'll have a horse that's had a year of professional training with minimal "messing up" by me...
    Of course I have no idea what sort of shape I'll be in after all is said and done...

Count me in again too! I'm at just 6 weeks with baby #2. I had a miscarriage at 6 weeks in July, so hopefully things will go smoothly this time. I did a starter level horse trial on my baby horse last weekend. He was a nut for dressage though (OTTB who thought he was back at the track), so I switched him to HC and had someone else jump him. I rode through 22 weeks last time, then it got too cold to ride for awhile and by the time it warmed back up a bit, I wasn't sure what my balance would be like, so handed over the reins to my trainer for the duration. My son was born at 34 weeks, 3 days, so to those of you who are that far along, it really CAN happen at any time! We weren't packed, hadn't had any baby showers, and were pretty unprepared (did have the crib & changing table set up, but that was about it). I remember sitting in the car with our son on the way home from the hospital while my husband ran into Babies R Us for some necessities.

FoxChaser~ Yikes! I'm at 34 weeks now, and I don't have my hospital bag packed. Nor do I have the carseat/stroller combo or the pack n play that MIL was supposed to go get for us this week. The glider rocker is still at the riverhouse, and our crib bedding & accessories are in transit fromTarget.com. Now I'm officially paranoid...