The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Electric bit warmer

I am trying to locate an electric bit wamer for the barn. They used to make them, any ideas of where we can find such?
    Thanks!
    Proud mother of "Rolling Rock" aka Rocky the Rocky Mountain horse!

Inside your shirt. In a bowl of warm water. Electric? Why on earth?

If you don't have hot water at the barn to warm them, then get an electric kettle and pour that over the bit. Bonus: tea and cocoa.

Electric heating pad. If no electric available, those little handwarmers, sold in sporting goods stores.

Quote Originally Posted by citydog View Post
    If you don't have hot water at the barn to warm them, then get an electric kettle and pour that over the bit. Bonus: tea and cocoa.
    I agree

I'm lusting after one of these

http://www.quickcup.co.uk/
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

If you have a microwave at your barn, I just fill an old sock with rice, tie off the end and stick it in the microwave. Hangs over the bit nicely, and then I get to tuck it in my hoodie pocket and it's like carrying a hot potato the rest of the time. d;

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    I agree

Nice!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

We have heat in the barn bathroom and a row of hooks on the back of the door. Hang your bridle there when you arrrive at the barn and by the time you are ready to put the bridle on, it's warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    Nice!
    I should just suck it up and buy one lol! They cost about £50, but can you imagine how handy it would be?

Darn, now I want one even more. Christmas gift maybe...? Oh SO....
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I've seen them home-made from a coffee can with a slot in the side for the bit and its bottom screwed to the wall with a 40-Watt bulb inside. Crude, but effective -- and cheap!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    I agree

ha ha i know all about there quick cups as when they 1st came out i was working on temp contract for tefal they are very good and you can also use them as cold water system ie like britra filta systems only with these thy do it instantly and the filter last ages a new filter can brought for 6 quid all to do with the termal system which is the size of a mirco chip which has a series of pipes like a maze which allows the water to heat as if pases over them
    so its quciker than a kettle and you can use it again again until it needs filling haha any thing else you wnna know just ask me haha i like the dolcia gusto coffee machine works on the same tegnoglogy and was out before the quick cup looks a bit like a pequin haha
    there you dressage in a cup haha

as regards to bit warmers just rub the bit in your hands to warm it up or palce in normal warm water
    thats if you have any or under your jumper or coat for a tad

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    Inside your shirt. Electric? Why on earth?
    I so agree! You need to groom your horse before you bridle anyway!

I just take my hand warmers out of my gloves for a minute and hold them against the bit. Sometimes I shove the bridle underneath my coat while I'm grooming.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I put the headstall over my shoulder - kind of shipping wrap style - and stuff the bit in the pocket of my breeches or under the waistband right next to my skin.
    It's a bit chilly at first , but warms up quickly.

I don't like the lightbulb idea as it can heat the bit too much, not to mention unshielded bulb in metal can = unsafe heat source
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I pour boiling water in a coffee travel mug and put a rag in the water. Close tighly with a lid. By the time you get to the barn, the water is still very hot. Wrap the hot rag around your bit until you are finished grooming.
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

I prefer the overkill approach to this problem. I use a Bitten Bit Warmer with reusable heat packs. Boil the reusable heat packs in water each night to make them recharge.

http://www.bittenstore.com/site/945873/page/386520

The reusable heat packs that I ordered from Bitten were super cheesy, so I bought more sturdy ones from my local camping store (for a lot less than $7 apiece, btw):
    http://www.amazon.com/Prism-Technolo.../dp/B000C9DCG8

Default electric bit warmer

There is a new web site www.Just-A-Bit-Warmer.com. It has information on electric bit warmers. Hope this is what your looking for.

Not quite what you are looking for, but I just wrap a fruit roll up around the bit. I keep the fruit roll up in my pocket until I'm ready to bridle. Wrap the warm roll up around the bit, bridle the horse, and by the time the fruit roll up is gone, the bit is warm. My horses have always loved it. Only drawback is you have to wash your bits pretty often to keep them from getting too sticky.

In the past, I did have one of the "redneck" bit warmers homemade with the coffee can around an old lamp. It worked great too.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Anyone else care to admit that they just put the bit in their horse's mouth?
    Click here before you buy.

We have a light bulb warmer akin to the homemade coffee can version described above. I wonder what if it will be replaced when you can no longer get incandescents.

I usually stick the bit into the waistband of my pants, as 2dogs describes. I know it won't get too hot & I like telling people that I have things stuffed down my pants. It doesn't take long at all & you know its ready when you don't feel the cold metal. No energy needed, so it's the green alternative