The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Muzzle OR dry lot-which do you prefer?

My dry lot is about an acre-has a creek, lots of hills and now, no grass.

My horses go in there during the day.

I let the healthy horses on pasture by night.

I have been dry lotting Polo and the minis all night as well and giving hay...

BUT I am wondering...would muzzles and grass and different scenery be better?

So my question is which option do you like and why:

1. dry lot by day with all horses/ hay as needed. THEN dry lot by night with more hay

2. dry lot 12 hours with hay/muzzle 12 hours with grass

The biggest difference is manure management-getting them out and about means the mannure won't pile up.

The second upside is less hay cost. I have PLENTY of pasture.

The downside is catching the donks to be muzzled...and well nose jail.

I am certain they would be ok hoof wise with muzzles. It is just a matter of preference.

I would not trust my pony to keep her muzzle on all day. She is on a dry lot and stabled at night for safety.

I had to muzzle my mare when she was out on pasture during the day (she was stalled at night), and there was no problem at all with it. Since she was a rather opinionated Appy mare, I honestly thought that she'd throw a major fit about the muzzle. But she adapted to it in no time, still got to graze and be with her buddies.

I'd vote for dry lot by day, pasture by night.

Donk

I am puzzled also (my post yesterday!). And also about muzzling the donks - they say to never,ever leave a halter on a donkey - so how does one muzzle? So I have decided to just move them for a few hours a day - they are so smart that one crack of the lunge whip and off they go, bucking and farting - back to the smaller dry lot for the night! I figure they get some exercise that way too.

Second option, muzzle with breakaway halter.

Both - I like to give my IR prone mini as much turnout and natural movemement as possible and we use a muzzle for that if necessary. The rest of the time he's in a drylot.

Ideally all horses should have a set up like Jaime Jackson's paddock paradies that encourage and maximizes movement all day.

Good grazing muzzles are designed to break away if the horse gets caught on something.

Default But if you have one that would founder....

...on grass if they removed their muzzle, then you ought to play it safe and keep them drylotted or stalled at night. MOST horses/ponies can and WILL remove their muzzle, especially the "safety" ones at their earliest opportunity. I'd hate to have my pony out on pasture at night, when I can't MONITOR the little rascal, because it would be then that he escapes from nose jail!

I agree - they would only be out on pasture with my frequent supervision too

Quote Originally Posted by smay View Post
    ...on grass if they removed their muzzle, then you ought to play it safe and keep them drylotted or stalled at night. MOST horses/ponies can and WILL remove their muzzle, especially the "safety" ones at their earliest opportunity. I'd hate to have my pony out on pasture at night, when I can't MONITOR the little rascal, because it would be then that he escapes from nose jail!
    My pony has worn a grazing muzzle for the last 5 years. The first one had 4plastic pieces that connected in 2 places at the top and bottom of the muzzle, and the second one has double velcro in 4 places. She's never gotten either one of them off.

You are lucky. My mini needed a serious bridle path to make it stay on. He was VERY good at removing it.

Muzzle.

They make muzzles that are one piece units - no clipping them onto a halter.

Don't know how well they stay on though, especially on donkeys. Those guys are pretty creative.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bf1 View Post
    I am puzzled also (my post yesterday!). And also about muzzling the donks - they say to never,ever leave a halter on a donkey - so how does one muzzle? So I have decided to just move them for a few hours a day - they are so smart that one crack of the lunge whip and off they go, bucking and farting - back to the smaller dry lot for the night! I figure they get some exercise that way too.
    Why can't a donkey wear a halter? I adopted a foundered donkey and she comes in at night with hay and water and during the day is turned out with a muzzle. She wears a cheap leather halter 24 hours a day, makes it quicker to put her muzzle on. I'd think having donkeys and horses that a donkey that got caught on something would be smarter then a horse. That being said, I have two animals I need to muzzle and I had the same dilema, they took to the muzzles quickly and I opted for turnout and socialization.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Muzzle.

They make muzzles that are one piece units - no clipping them onto a halter.

Don't know how well they stay on though, especially on donkeys. Those guys are pretty creative.

Good luck.
    JME, but the ones that clip to the halter stay on MUCH better. I've found the one piece units to be very hard to adjust to fit properly. Some would get their nose over the basket and end up with the thing dangling around their neck. At least they didn't lose it, but getting a hoof in it was a huge concern.

Personally if the pony is high risk then I'd dry lot. If it's more for weight control then muzzle.
    I don't know how many of the one piece units are forever lost out in the field. There must be some sort of black hole out there that just sucks them up within minutes. I eventually run over lost articles with the lawn mower, but I've yet to run over any of the missing muzzles.

My donkeys have worn grazing muzzles in the summer for the past three years. I use the one-piece kind. They stand patiently in the morning to have the muzzles put on, and have, so far, not removed the muzzles without my assistance. My QH, on the other hand, removes his own muzzle and then everyone else's if I try to make him wear one. So, he gets no muzzle but also no fly mask, so he has to retreat to the run-in barn for a while during the day to avoid the bugs.

Having said that, of course, I will go home today and find that they donks have broken their muzzles and I will never be able to catch them to put the new ones I'll have to buy on their fuzzy heads. So I hope you appreciate my input here!

Having said that, I would not depend on a muzzle, if it were a matter of foundering or not, unless/until I'm pretty confident that the critter in question will wear the muzzle tolerably. Otherwise, under at least periodic supervision only. So maybe your best bet is pasture w/muzzles during the day and dry lot at night?
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    You are lucky. My mini needed a serious bridle path to make it stay on. He was VERY good at removing it.
    I don't know if it's just luck. The double velcro is hard to remove without fingers (it'd be a different story if the horse could get its teeth on it), and the plastic would have also involved crushing the muzzle, which would hurt the horse's face.

In my case, the muzzle-only piece that attaches to the horse's own halter stays on MUCH better. I have not found an all-in-one where the throatlatch did not come down sooooo far. That leaves the horse the very, very easy option of just rubbing the crownpiece over his head, and voila, freedom. My WB gelding figured out all he had to do was lie down and rub his head on the ground a few times and off it would come.

I realize it's probably designed that way as an extra safety measure, but really, I rely on the leather crownpiece for that.

I think I actually heard someone a while ago say they tied the crownpiece to their horse's mane - that would solve that! Or else he'd be so mad at not being able to get it off he'd end up pulling mane out as well

It really does come down to how comfortable you are with the horses who could suffer with too much grass being out there, unsupervised, escaping from their muzzle, stuffing down grass for 8 hours.

Is there a reason you couldn't do muzzle/pasture by day and dry lot/hay at night?

Because the grass is higher in sugar during the day?

That was my thinking...but now that I think about it.

I just thought of night grass as safer grass?

Also the dry lot houses the other 3 by day and grass by night-so it means all in one spot by day, move 3 to grass and fling open a gate to grass for the muzzle 3.

I guess just a matter of moving around less horses if I go with muzzles by night.

I will have to ponder that.

I hate muzzles. I really really hate muzzles and drylots.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I have not found an all-in-one where the throatlatch did not come down sooooo far. That leaves the horse the very, very easy option of just rubbing the crownpiece over his head, and voila, freedom.
    This is what my QH did, as well. But I guess it doesn't work for the longears because of, well, their long ears.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Perhaps it comes down to what time of day you'd rotate.

All else equal, grass is highest in sugar when the sun goes down. The levels start dropping, becoming lowest around 3-4am, and remain there until around 9-10am, depending on the time of year and whether the sun is actually showing. If they're on grass, muzzled, all night, they start out eating the highest-sugar grass. If they are on grass, muzzled, all day, they end the day eating the highest sugar grass.

Now, if your "day" is 8am-5pm, their time on grass less than 12 hours, so likely they consume less total sugar than if they are on grass from 5pm-8am.

I use a muzzle on my pony. First day she got it off so I attempted to keep her off pasture completely. She ripped apart my steel fence panels to the point I had no other immediate option but to try the muzzle again. I fit it on a little more snug than the first time and so far so good. She has not gotten it off again and her feet look good.

She is out during the day and in her stall/small paddock at night with soaked hay. She is very happy now and so am I!
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill