The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Would you support a North American Breeders Organization?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would support a breeder's organization along the lines described.

20 74.07%
  • No, I think we need a combined registry

0 0%
  • No, I think we have enough registries and organizations.

7 25.93%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default deleted

Last edited by Fairview Horse Center; Jan. 26, 2014 at 03:24 PM.

I would love to see some sort of sporthorse/warmblood breeders association where breeders of all breeds of sporthorses can come together to communicate, advertise and discuss problems/advantages of US breeding and information at it pertains to us, Americans!

I don't think we necessarily need another registry for horses but an association for breeders would be a great idea.

I am genuinely curious what people expect the purpose of such a group to be.

I can see the value of a group which could consolidate all of the registry database information in one place. I could also see the value and convenience of being able to get one stallion guide each year, with all stallions from all registries included in one guide. I can see the potential for a large group to organize and fund things like auctions and stallion expos more easily than having each registry tackle these things individually. I can see the convenience of being able to go to one organization/website and search for, say, all black yearling fillies within 250 miles of me, or all Dutch stallions competing at FEI who ship fresh semen.

I can see the value of all of these conveniences, and would be willing to support such a group.

However, I have no interest in leaving my current registry. My current registry's guidelines and standards suite me perfectly, and I can say with pride my horses are X and my registry is Y.

I also feel that if a new organization were to try to take control of things like inspections and stallion testings, or establishing and maintaining breed standards, the new organization would have a very tough road ahead of them. I would leave these things to the individual registries.

I see the need for a group which is more of an omnipresent coordinator, organizer, and database geek squad. Working for/with existing registries, not replacing them.

Quote:
    an alliance for marketing, lobbying and advertising could do wonders using the strength of ALL breeders of ALL registries
    This would be the goal for the organization. A future registry could be developed as a part of the organization IF the membership finds that it is a need, but I would like to see how much an SOLID alliance could do working WITH existing registries (and USEF) - lobbying for change as needed.
    I would support an alliance of regional breeders' groups that had the first part of the quote above as its purpose. However, I would not consider leaving my current registry. I haven't voted yet as I want to be sure of the proposed purpose of the organization.

It will be very necessary to direct it not only to breeders but also trainers, competitors, owners. Basically, otherwise you have another smaller splinter group, from a different direction.

Good luck trying to consolidate a database, I know ALL the hurdles there, Some registries have literally NOTHING as far as data... all use diffeent systems and none want to share their info because another might know something about them then...

You will have to get that on an individual basis... which makes accuracy WAY more difficult.. even the USEF cannot get JUST the DSHB shows recorded in a timely manner

"It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

Those of you that want to keep all the small fragmented regsitries, how do you propose to solve the following problems:

1. Each registry having to fund an entire North American inspection tour in which many of the sites only have a very small handful of entries. This costs each registry a boatload of money and we have european inspectors crisscrossing over each other's paths as these registries are holding redundant events.

2. Mare owners calling around to registry after registry to see if that year's chosen stallion is approved or where they might have to drag their poor mare to yet another approval site to be able to get a registerable foal.

3. The continued marketing of U.S. bred horses as a european product furthering the buying public's notion that to go to europe is the best.

4. The bleeding of money that both stallion owners and mare owners have to do to belong to & have approval with all these registries in the form of multiple membership fees, multi stallion activation fees and then also having to cough up yet more money to belong to yet another organization. This versus consolidating it down to bring a more cost-effective product to market.

5.Again, the fragmenting of the monies into the various registries so no real power source could be created.

6. The various registries past disdain for working with each other and unwillingness to share information.....much less forgo putting out their own stallion directory in favor of participating in one large "shared" directory.

Fairview Horse Center wrote: "Rather than a registry, I would like to see a North American Warmblood and Sport Horse Breeder's Association. I would like to see this organization be made up of individual members, not registries."

Warmblood Breeders of North America. Scot Tolman et al had this several years ago, though I don't remember what exactly the guidelines were. I am sure some other member might be able to post the guidelines. It was not registry, but maybe a coalition of breeders of warmbloods. Of course, I don't know if Tri was involved to provide her very good questions for them to address.

Fairview, thank you for your expanded explanation. I'd support such an organization and will vote now.

Yes an association of American Breed Breeders makes sense to me
    *Every horse is a self-portrait of the rider....Autograph your work with excellence.*
    Supporting Nokotas www.nokotahorse.org
    Lipizzan's rock! http://rigitta.blogspot.com/

I think Scot's organization fell apart mosty due to bickering, lack of support and lack of cooperation.

Great idea, Darlyn and certainly overdue. There does need to be a "connective thread" for all the breeders of horses for the Olympic sport disciplines to help each with marketing, sales, training and just networking and the social part. It could certainly help each member have a better understanding and appreciation of each registry's rules and goals and meet new friends as well as perhaps dovetail the efforts of a country this large. Good luck!
    PennyG

So, what's the plan?

I'd support such an organization. I think it's important that American breeders work together, but I don't think an American registry would ever come to fruition (nor would I want it to; I'm happy with my registry).
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

I would support such an organization depending on the charter, by-laws, goals, leadership, and membership fees. I think to make it really viable and attractive to the great majority of sport horse breeders, the top leadership would have to be well known and well respected leaders in the sport horse breeding arena, and preferably, people with experience in the business world. I would also like to see the leadership positions (BOD, Executive Director, etc.) restricted to U.S. citizens or at least to people who have resided in the U.S. for maybe the past 10 years or so.

I'm not a breeder (nor do I play one on TV ), but from the comments I've heard and read over the past umpteen years running dressage breed shows I think this type of organization is long overdue. It would be a massive effort and take a great deal of financial support. Cooperation would have to be the hallmark of the organization, and many would have to put aside much of the petty bickering that I also see. If you all get this off the ground, the US breeder could finally be a united force.
    I support and enable the USA bred horse and the USA breeder.

Call it an American Sporthorse Breeders Association and be open as to what breeds are allowed (not just Euro WB's) and I would support it. Otherwise it's just another WB breeders group and leaves out a lot of people also breeding for sport who might be breeding Iberians, Baroques like Freisians, RID's, or the dreaded American breeds. ;-)

Call it an American Sporthorse Breeders Association and be open as to what breeds are allowed (not just Euro WB's) and I would support it. Otherwise it's just another WB breeders group and leaves out a lot of people also breeding for sport who might be breeding Iberians, Baroques like Freisians, RID's, or the dreaded American breeds. ;-)

and/or Welsh cobs

Honestly as a breeder, competitor, veterinarian, trainer of my own...I really do not love the idea of one more "group" to have to pay to play. I already as the aforementioned have over a few thousand $$ go out each year to breed registries, discipline groups, show organizations, etc. The breed registries have coop efforts for advertising and provide some support though imo not solely directed towards the "sport horse". Yet at this time they do more than any other group to help "my" cause such that it is.

Mostly, I would like it to lobby to get that one number system in place, organize things like Maryanna's stallion show, and the Hedgeland jumping clinic/show (AND TRAINING SESSIONS). Possibly regional training and sales centers along with a young horse trainer program.

Now these are of course excellent ideas and ones I can get behind and do not see my breed registries EVER putting forth the effort to assist; but, and this is a big but....I still see exclusionary practices that would evolve despite the intent to be inclusionary to those breeders who claim to breed/show/sell "sport" types. Though everything on my property either has done or does eventing, dressage or CDEs, there are many who would exclude my kind - too short, too fat, too drafty, too hitchy/hackney, yada yada yada yada.............

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post

and/or Welsh cobs
    Sorry! I did not mean to exclude Welsh Cobs or any other breed. I was only naming a couple of examples of non WB sport horse types.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Amen ! Why can't the word sporthorse ever be considered without the word warmblood attached to it ?

So you want two or one organizations or the one organization can do both? Do you really think it would work?