The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I'm new... hello all - boot question?

Tell me if I am supposed to put this elsewhere...

Quick intro - I have three horses, two belong to my kids, I am a "re-rider" at 32, so I have been working on fear issues for the past few years. I'm a casual rider, not out to show, so my 5-year-old is a dream for me..... she is so level headed and wonderful...

I'm doing my second paper chase (Kinda like a hunter pace) on Sunday - first time I was on my daughter's horse and went to do a 2'6" jump and flipped off my horse... it was actually HILARIOUS because it was my first fall ever and I wasn't hurt at all - but then did it a second time in the course... so since then, I have been working on my jumping more and since then, I bought my 5-year-old mare...

The paper chases I have been doing are casual... but I am going to be doing a hunter pace soon that I have to be dressed in full... including tall boots/field boots.

I'm having issues finding boots to fit. Right now, I use Ariats and half chaps, but when looking at Ariat field boots --- well, here's the problem... I'm not big... I'm 5'4" and 120 pounds, but I have large ankles... okay, I have cankles, dangit! lolol!

I want to stay between $300 and $500 for field boots, but the ones I am finding - well, when I zip them, the ones that fit in my calf won't zip over my ankles, but the ones that zip over my ankles, are way too big in the calf.

Any recommendations? I had someone say there are semi-custom boots - where can I find these?

Anyone here have these issues? Thanks for any help

Welcome to COTH!

You might check out some of the Mountain Horse tall boots. I school in a pair of Sportive High Riders and they are quite roomy in the ankle. They are quite comfortable and would be perfectly acceptable for a hunter pace.

Are you zipping after tying the laces??
    Untie the laces and pull that ankle as far open as you can..then try the zipper
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

And try some without zips--the ankles are often roomier.

(And welcome! )

Thank you so much! Will try all these options most definitely!

Default Hay

Is your hunter pace this formal? We can hunter pace in jeans and half chaps? I would do that rather than rushing out to buy something.

But have fun! Sounds like you are and welcome...pictures please!
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Yes, the hunter pace *IS* that formal... If it wasn't, I wouldn't be looking for these. My instructor went last year (actually rode my current horse in it) and she said - yeah, everyone wears all of this...

Oh, I have tons of pictures - you can see them in my sig, but they are sporadic through the blog... my daughter and her horse is what I mostly show (not the first one on the blog, that's a client), and I will be sharing myself and my new horse hopefully next week

LOVED looking through your photos. They're beautiful!!!

I also wanted to note that your photos are just WONDERFUL! Wow you are very talented

Sorry I couldn't help much with recommending boots for you.

Have you tried the Ariat Heritages?

I have rather erm....large bones? yeah. That's it.

Mine are quite roomy in the ankle.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I tried the Ariat Heritages and for some reason, they didn't fit... I tried them in full and wide... well, the wide we probably could have done but the calf was absolutely huge... so that's why I have the Challenges ordered - in hopes that the calf area will taper back...

your pictures are absolutely beautiful.......it was a joy to look at them!

awww thank you guys so much!

I tried the Challenges and they did zip up - thank God, but I think they may be too tall... I'm going to take them in tomorrow and see what the people at the store think... I know they are supposed to "drop" but I'm not sure if they are going to drop enough.

I'm the weirdo with strange proportions!

Can't help with the boots but gosh your photos are absolutely AMAZING!!!!!

Thanks so much, TPUP - I'm actually expanding my business to include on-location horse/rider sessions (and no, not show stuff.... this is "art" for me, classic images that will be heirlooms for the families....)... I have always wanted to work with people and their horses. I didn't mean to get into this doing mostly anne geddes style baby and pregnant women portraits, it just happened that way - did a few, and they all flocked... now I'm trying to break into horse/rider. Where my studio is hugely equestrian... they have everything you can imagine around there... There is nothing like working with a horse and rider... it's such a beautiful relationship

Back to those boots... I'm going back to Dover Saddlery with them today.. now I am concerned that maybe I should have gotten an 8 instead of an 8-1/2. I've managed to feel like they are going to work out but my feet feel a little loose inside... I'm between putting some stuffing in the toes of them, or just trying to exchange for an 8 -- but if I do an 8, they may end up being smaller in the ankle/calf. I will say, I am glad I went real leather, because they should break in fine. I'm going to do a paperchase course later today to practice for Sunday, so I want to make sure I have the right ones as I want to get started in the breaking in process...

Good luck with that - if you don't find off the rack ones that fit you, take a drive down to the Middleburg Tack Exchange and see if they have any used ones that fit you - it'll eliminate the breaking in process. New boots are hurty.

(but do not hold me responsible for all that you spend tack shopping in Middleburg...)