The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 6yr old gelding- FREE TO GOOD HOME ONLY

Dante is the sweetest, funniest horse I have ever met. He is 6 years old, 16.1 hands, and would be a lap dog if he could be. He's mostly thoroughbred but 1/8 of him is percheron. Most people say he looks like a warmblood.

He trots to me in the field, gives kisses, and bends down to meet every cat dog and child that passes. He is an extremely easy keeper- he has bare feet (and always has- everyone comments on how great his feet are), he just had a visit from the dentist, he is up to date on all his shots, and he has always been field boarded. I have had Dante for about a year and intended on eventing him. I've jumped him up to 4 feet, trained him in dressage and schooled him over cross country. He's been to a couple jumper shows, and has a good solid foundation.

I recently found out he has an injury in his hind end which will most likely prevent him from ever doing hind-end intensive work like dressage and jumping. He is lame in his left hind now- the vet thinks it is in his sacroiliac, pelvis or hip. His vet also said that there is nothing more we can do to make him comfortable- he just needs a forever home where someone will love him and let him be a horse. Riding is probably not in his future, but after several months of being out in the field, the vet said he could get sound enough to jog around the field or on a trail every once in a while.

Please help me find a good home for my beloved horse. I don't want money for him, I just want to find him a home where he will be loved and taken care of.

I can't figure out how to post pictures here, but I'd be happy to provide some if you email me.

Have you tried getting him a chiropractor to work on pelvis, hip etc? May just be slipped out!

Thank you for the advice. I had an acupuncturist work on him 6 months ago, but that was before this injury flared up. She noticed then that his hips were uneven (I've actually known this the whole time I've had him)- but she said he was comfortable. I was told the unevenness in his hips was congenital from his previous owners, but my vet thinks either he had a pelvic fracture from a fall that went undiagnosed, or he has a sacroiliac injury, which causes the hip to be 'knocked down'. Of course, it could be anything -- a bone scan would give us a better idea but she said with an injury that goes that far in, it would be hard to recover. We've tried to get the acupuncturist to come back, but she's in really high demand. I guess I should keep trying. Thank you!

TwoBlueRider Guest

Where are you located?

Dickerson, MD

Awe that's too bad jloutoo, he really sounds like a great horse! Hope he finds a nice home!

My horse had some major pelvic alignment issues and I had a lot of success with myofascial release techniques. Doris Halstead has written a couple of books on it, and she was actually the one who performed the techniques on my horse. I understand that it may not make your horse rideable or greatly improve his condition, however, it might be worth a look - it might help to make him more comfortable! Best of luck finding him a great home!!

I vote for the chiropractor. My gelding fell and was lame in his back end. The chiropractor worked on him and, after he was finished, Sneakers cantered out into the pasture like nothing had ever happened!

I have a leg that is slightly longer than the other one, but after my chiro adjustments, my legs are the same length. Amazing....

Could be ESPM. Common in draft horses. Just a thought.