The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default MSM Dosage

I tried a search, but MSM dosage didn't yield any results.

So, got some good info from pattnic last night - from back issues of The Horse Journal. They state that the optimum dosage for horses with pain issues is 20,000mg . I've always tried to reach the 10,000 mg mark . Just curious what others use.

FWIW, horses in question (in case you missed previous posts) have some major issues . One has a fractured coffin bone (extensor process) the other has a torn cranial cruicate ligament in his stifle that he keeps reinjuring, arthritis in the other stifle, along with ERU and general "old age" aches and pains.

Just STRICTLY interested in what your target dosage is, if you use MSM. Thanks.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

The general rule is 20gm for 1-2 weeks for loading, then 10gm/day after that.

That's for the average 1000/1100lb horse, so you might need to adjust accordingly.

Thanks JB. So if my horses have been on ~10,000mg for a while now, should I just stick with that dosage, or bump up to 20,000mg for a couple weeks then back to the 10,000mg? Like I said, I thought that was the optimum dosage, makes sense that it is, but didn't realize that you could give more for more acute pain/inflammation.

I am waiting on my Previcox that I ordered for my boys on Friday. Still haven't seen anything from the company I ordered online. They'll be receiving a phone call tomorrow from me if no upate before hand (supposed to notify me of shipping).
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Default a question Appychix

the horse with the fractured extensor processor ? how long ago.. does he now have a buttress shaped hoof?

I have a gelding with one, was not able to operate on it.. its been a few years now and his hoof has changed shape becus of the inflammation.. . . . all tho he is not off on it.. I do give him joint supplements and have his hoofs done every 4 weeks with a special shoe job..

just curious..

P~

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin View Post
    the horse with the fractured extensor processor ? how long ago.. does he now have a buttress shaped hoof?

I have a gelding with one, was not able to operate on it.. its been a few years now and his hoof has changed shape becus of the inflammation.. . . . all tho he is not off on it.. I do give him joint supplements and have his hoofs done every 4 weeks with a special shoe job..

just curious..

P~

When we figured out what the problem was (misdiagnosed as an abscess) there was a slight 'buttress' forming. But, it never became more then a small bump. Basically, it's all gone but he does have a somewhat club foot on that leg. Fracture was diagnosed as a new fracture May 2007. When rechecked in March 2008 it was diagnosed as an OLD fracture (obviously) but more like years old. He had it when I purchased him... missed on the PPE cause we didn't do x-rays and was sound on flexions.

FWIW, he is shod with special shoes & pads every 5-6 weeks. The shoes help, but he keeps reinjuring it too. Only option is stall rest and well, I've resigned to the fact that he'll only be pasture sound. So, he's allowed to roam around with a mixed herd.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

I have had 2 vets tell me that after the loading period, 10,000 is the maximum safe dosage, but I would check with your vet.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

slightly tangential, but since you mention nothing comes up in search, and this will...

SOME horses, a few, will get flakey with too much MSM. They will act spooky, tense, like they are not comfortable in their skin. Basically the same as some react to alfalfa.

It's worth mentioning when you're talking about loading doses and such.

My vet had me use 2g 2x/day, 1/2 hour before bute to a mare who retained placenta. There was some study that had shown it helped buffer the bute, and he felt it could do nothing but help reduce the chances of founder as well. She never did go off her feed, though she was getting a goodly amount of bute for 3 or 4 days. That's nothing short of miraculous for her, as she was the fussiest, most tummy-ache prone horse I've known. So now I use that protocol if I ever have to use large amounts of bute. (FWIW, I fed it in a small beet pulp mash with 1c of aloe juice as well.)
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I used to have my mare on 20,000mg a day for long periods of time, and it never was an issue. I then backed her off to 15,000mg to see if it made any difference, and it was still sufficient. I was feeding it more for hoof/coat though, not for pain.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I feed 15,000 mg a day.

SmartPak MSM = 10,000 mg
    Grand Hoof Pellets = which includes 5,000 mg

I didn't do any kind of loading dose. Just went from an all in one joint supplement (Cos, Glu, MSM and HA) to these 2 instead.

I think, actually, "sublimequine" and I had this conversation awhile back about dropping the other stuff and just doing MSM. That it's good for hoof/coat, etc. also along w/ joints. So that's what I did. Except I did have to add a hoof supplement back as he wasn't doing as well with the straight MSM for that but his coat looks great! My guy also gets Legend shots as needed. I didn't notice anything worse taking him off all the other stuff. I did also keep him on BL Pellets to keep him off bute.

I like that the hoof supplement has the added MSM. One reason I chose that kind. I mainly do it for inflammation/pain... but also hoof/coat.

This regime seems to work well for my guy. He's going better now than he ever did. *knocking wood*

Quote Originally Posted by LSM1212 View Post
    I feed 15,000 mg a day.

SmartPak MSM = 10,000 mg
    Grand Hoof Pellets = which includes 5,000 mg

I didn't do any kind of loading dose. Just went from an all in one joint supplement (Cos, Glu, MSM and HA) to these 2 instead.

I think, actually, "sublimequine" and I had this conversation awhile back about dropping the other stuff and just doing MSM. That it's good for hoof/coat, etc. also along w/ joints. So that's what I did. Except I did have to add a hoof supplement back as he wasn't doing as well with the straight MSM for that but his coat looks great! My guy also gets Legend shots as needed. I didn't notice anything worse taking him off all the other stuff. I did also keep him on BL Pellets to keep him off bute.

I like that the hoof supplement has the added MSM. One reason I chose that kind. I mainly do it for inflammation/pain... but also hoof/coat.

This regime seems to work well for my guy. He's going better now than he ever did. *knocking wood*
    MSM really does work wonders sometimes, doesn't it?

I took my mare off it, but am now reconsidering. Her mane is not growing like it used to, that's for sure.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

My guy's MSM supplement is 25,000mg's or whatever doseage it is per ounce and he gets 1/2 ounce morning and night and he's done great on it. Better then he was doing on Adequan..And his supplement is REALLY cheap... I think $15 for a month and a half's worth..

Quote Originally Posted by KnKShowmom View Post
    I have had 2 vets tell me that after the loading period, 10,000 is the maximum safe dosage, but I would check with your vet.
    I used it for several years, and was told the same thing.

Thanks guys. I'll double check with the vet, but maybe I'll up his MSM just a tad. Cause what he's on now is right at 10,000mg. But, it is interesting about the "spookiness" that can happen with MSM. Gringo's always spooky though... but still makes you wonder.

Gus, spooky. Now, that would be something. That guy is pretty level headed, if not a bit slow.
    See G2's blog
    Photos