The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Remember the coat? Here's the Katie Price/Jordan video

That looked pretty good, especially considering she's been riding for such a short period of time! What a great horse!

Still not digging the pig tails though.
    Pictures of my horses and I.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/f322/Treecipitous/

"God forbid that I should go to a Heaven in which there are no horses"

Can't be easy to keep your balance with the huge fake boods she has. If she is serious about riding she still has a way to go
    Every time you ride, your are either teaching or un-teaching your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Treecipitous View Post
    That looked pretty good, especially considering she's been riding for such a short period of time! What a great horse!

Still not digging the pig tails though.

She has not been riding a short time....

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    She has not been riding a short time....
    Wasn't there an article here posted not too long ago about her taking up dressage? I am pretty sure it was about here competing at training level, or something.

My bad, so sue me.
    Pictures of my horses and I.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/f322/Treecipitous/

"God forbid that I should go to a Heaven in which there are no horses"

Quote Originally Posted by Treecipitous View Post
    Wasn't there an article here posted not too long ago about her taking up dressage? I am pretty sure it was about here competing at training level, or something.

My bad, so sue me.

Dressage is a recent occurance for her but she has owned horses/ridden for many years.

You comment was not so bad to warrent a lawsuit, eh?

Coreene is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Well, she certainly has managed to put the spotlight on dressage for a much wider audience than anyone else has. This is from The Times:

As I walk down the platform at Euston Station to catch the train to Birmingham International, the object of my pilgrimage gazes out at me from not one, but two billboards. It’s Katie Price, aka Jordan, resplendent in full make-up and riding kit, clutching the bridle of a horse. The advert is for this very newspaper, part of a campaign that juxtaposes the likes of the former glamour model with more venerable famous faces such as Winston Churchill.

Her very presence on the Times poster is an accurate reflection of her ambiguous appeal. To some she’s a pneumatic, permatanned, overmade-up B-lister; to others a hard-working, hard-nosed businesswoman who juggles the never-ending demands of celebrity, three children (including one with a disability) and a high-maintenance husband, the half-successful pop star Peter Andre. Whichever view you subscribe to, there’s no doubt that she makes headlines.

Ever since Price’s presence at the Horse of the Year Show was first mooted, it has generated controversy. She is here ostensibly to perform a dressage routine, flanked by her (extremely handsome) trainer Andrew Gould and a very promising young talent, Henry Boswell. Dressage is not, of course, the main focus of the HOYS — this is primarily a showing and showjumping event — and this is the only reason she is been allowed on to the hallowed sawdust of the main arena. Under normal circumstances a rider of Price’s experience wouldn’t stand a chance; but, stongarmed by her formidable publicity team and by the opportunity to sell tickets (Price’s event, I am later told, could have filled the place twice over), the organisers are making an exception.

There is one other thing: her new equestrian clothing range.
    Despite all the fuss, despite the supposedly “serious” Olympic ambitions, generating publicity for “KP Equestrian”, a Barbie-esque collection of tops and jodhpurs, is the real reason Price has engineered this appearance. So far, it seems to be working.

Walking towards the Arena from the train station, the smell of horse manure drifts across the wind. The building itself is large and densely packed. There is, of course, a Retail Village, a sprawling assemblage of stalls selling everything from horse portraiture to trailers. There is an abundance of sturdy outdoor clothing and hearty, milk-fed English thighs, sensible hairstyles and ruddy cheeks. Mothers hold hands with small girls clutching horsey soft toys and other pony paraphernalia. For all the sensible Home-Counties atmosphere, there is a distinctly My Little Pony edge. A company called Tottie sells a plethora of pink riding gear; other stalls hawk tacky glitter head-collars.

In one corner, a large bunch of pink balloons signals Price’s clothing range. As I approach, two young sisters from Peterborough, Leanne and Tammy, are securing the purchase of a bright pink polo shirt, with glitter detailing (a bargain at £25.99). I ask Tammy what she thinks of Price’s presence here at the show. “When I heard she was coming it wasn’t like ’ohmygod, get her autograph’ or anything like that,” she laughs.

“We just came to have a look.” What do they think of her riding career? More laughter. “Well, it’s not like she’s shovelling crap every day, like we are. It’s not like she trains her own horse or anything. I’ve seen her reality TV show — she hardly spends any time doing proper horse stuff. If someone made a reality TV show about us, they’d be filming at least two hours a day with the horses — whereas she has it all pre-packaged and done for her.”

Price’s brazen (and distinctly pink) assault on the no-nonsense, rise-at-five equestrian world is typical of her unflinching ambition. She’s going for it, whether they like it or not.

“There’s nothing wrong with someone like me doing it,” she says. “I’m just bringing a bit of glamour to dressage. And besides: everyone’s been so welcoming.”

Welcoming they may be, but this lot are by nature a very polite bunch. And I’ve seen it: some of the smiles don’t quite reach the eyes. For now they are putting on a brave, if slightly stunned face. Privately, however, many have not taken kindly to, as one put it, “this surgically enhanced dolly bird” muscling in on their territory.

Others are more pragmatic: Richard Davison, the manager of the Olympic Dressage team, thinks that her presence could help to bring the sport to a wider audience. “It’s refreshing, fantastic,” he says. “But it is a bit like putting the cat amongst the pigeons,” he adds.

Backstage, I talk to the Olympic showjumper Tim Stockdale, himself a man with quite an eye for publicity (he fronted the reality TV show Only Fools on Horses). “I think it’s a good thing,” he says firmly. “The point about horses is they don’t care who you are, they’re very honest creatures. To them, she’s not a celebrity, she’s just another rider. The main thing, though, is that people understand that we’re not a gimmick. I don’t want our sport trivialised.”

Robert Smith, another top British showjumper and the son of the showjumping legend Harvey Smith, agrees. “It’s a broad church,” he grins amiably, pulling on his jacket. “I look forward to her going out topless!” he calls back at me, as he strides off down the track towards the arena.

To the outside world it’s an irresistible clash of cultures. For Price, the pinkification of the pony set surely represents a potentially huge business opportunity. She — and her wares — may be tacky; but there’s no denying her popularity. As the lights go down for her performance, the 8,000-strong arena is filled to capacity. To the unmistakeably saccharine strains of Peter Andre’s Mysterious Girl (what else), Price takes to the floor on a fine black steed. She is wearing a black and gold-trimmed cropped jacket with sequinned detail, more Playboy Bunny than pony club. Her hair is slicked back into a ponytail (and not in a net, as it should be), and she is in full night-club hostess make-up. It is quite a sight.

Flanked by Gould and Boswell, she performs the routine. By contrast to the others she is stiff and nervy. She is struggling somewhat to control her horse, who is not behaving quite according to plan; nevertheless, she grits her teeth and carries on. If nothing else, the woman has balls. The crowd claps, the horse falters, and they fall obligingly silent, not wanting to tempt fate. She struggles, but she gets through it.

Afterwards, at the press conference, she is bullish. Will she really try for the Olympics? “Why not?” I can see it now: Katie’s Olympic Challenge, a four-year-long reality TV show in which the plucky former glamour model overcomes the odds (and the snobs) to romp to victory at London 2012. Don’t laugh too much: it could happen.

Original Poster

Here's a clip of her first show in July.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/compe...php?aid=258373

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post

Afterwards, at the press conference, she is bullish. Will she really try for the Olympics? “Why not?” I can see it now: Katie’s Olympic Challenge, a four-year-long reality TV show in which the plucky former glamour model overcomes the odds (and the snobs) to romp to victory at London 2012. Don’t laugh too much: it could happen.
    I still think she's that poster who popped on a bit back asking if one could reasonably buy one's way to the Olympics. Remember? "I have money, I've got four years, I can make a go of it, right?"

Maybe somebody else remembers enough to find a link, but I think said poster got all huffy when people who have actually been working on dressage all of their lives suggested it might be more difficult than she supposed.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge View Post
    I still think she's that poster who popped on a bit back asking if one could reasonably buy one's way to the Olympics. Remember? "I have money, I've got four years, I can make a go of it, right?"

Maybe somebody else remembers enough to find a link, but I think said poster got all huffy when people who have actually been working on dressage all of their lives suggested it might be more difficult than she supposed.
    I did nearly pee myself when I real that last paragraph as well. But, you know, props to her for putting herself out in front of a crowd that must only be rivaled by gymnastic and figure skating peeps for never being in contention for a Miss Congeniality Award!

And I do love that coat. But then I love bling.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Um, one word. Enell.

I can't imagine that doesn't HURT?!?!?!
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Default Who is she?

I have been following the thread and I know she has very high dressage aspirations, but who is this chick and why does she look like Barbie?

She is what GB refers to as a "Page 3 Girl". The nomenclature means that she poses nude/semi nude and appears on page 3 of tabloid papers seen at every job site in your neighbourhood. http://www.allposters.com/-st/Katie-...ers_c8234_.htm

It sells papers to testosterone users.

Default oh my!

Naked riding Barbie

It's naked riding barbie meets jilly cooper but with more shopping and double the cliches, if that's possible.

She has - allegedly - just bought two horses at the sales in holland this weekend, one GP.

Go barbie! but look out for that Rupert Campbell-Black he's a rotter.

pinkification of the pony set

i didn't realize she posed in various states of undress; i just thought she was a model...

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by fiona View Post
    look out for that Rupert Campbell-Black he's a rotter.
    Dressage could do with a few good RC-Bs as well!

Where money can get you fast Oh well, she wasn't so bad, but she has the same bad habit as myself. She locks her elbows and doesn't bend them. Thank goodness I've about fixed it.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

hell she rides better then me... i'll give her that...

I'd seen video of her riding at home (Yes i admit to watching her show on occasion) and she's a good rider.
    Qualified Saddle Fitter with the S.M.S.
    www.ravenwoodaussies.com

So - how will you feel when some dingbat says; ... "Oh - you do what Katie Price does" ?