The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool Best place to buy Winter blankets

As everyone knows things are tight right now but I need to buy at least 5 new blankets
    this year. Does anyone know where I might be able to get the best deal??

Wise Choice Tack in Lexington, KY is the cheapest source I know of for Rambos. I got a med. weight with leg arches for $149 (that might have been including tax- I don't remember). They're listed at $167+ elsewhere, plus tax and shipping.
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Horseloverz.com has some amazing sales right now.

Schneiders IMO really gives you the best bang for your buck. Their stuff lasts forever. www.sstack.com
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I've had good luck finding deals on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Schneiders IMO really gives you the best bang for your buck. Their stuff lasts forever. www.sstack.com

Agreed. Great blankets, reasonable prices. Even my bebe didn't make a dent in his Schneider's turnout last winter.

The Hitching Post Tack Shop has some pretty good prices and a good deal on shipping:

http://hitchingposttack.com/

Have fun!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

i second schneiders!

Schneiders for new blankets, eBay for used!
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

SCHNEIDERS hands down. All sizes, all types. GREAT blanket.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Default horsefroogle havs 81s half off

I got an email from them recently.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I always have to kinda laugh at these threads, because "inexpensive" is SO subjective. When I see folks say, "Their blankets are only $120!", I just about stop breathing for a minute. To me, a really inexpensive blanket is one under $40.

OP, not real sure what you define as inexpensive, but I highly suggest ebay. I've gotten stuff on there for a real steal, and that's NEW blankets, not used.

Or if you wanna get something from a store, horse.com has some really inexpensive stuff, as does tack-wholesale.com. statelinetack.com also has some cheaper stuff.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I like Schneider's, their stuff is really good and I've had good experiences with them standing behind their products if there's a problem. State Line at least used to make their own line of blankets that were shockingly high quality for the price, but I don't know if they still do. I bought a heavy weight turnout of the SLT brand about 5 years ago on sale for $20, and it still looks great (except a bit on the tail flap that was chewed by a baby, but it's just cosmetic ) and keeps my old guy nice and toasty. It's also one of the few blankets that doesn't rub him.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    I always have to kinda laugh at these threads, because "inexpensive" is SO subjective. When I see folks say, "Their blankets are only $120!", I just about stop breathing for a minute. To me, a really inexpensive blanket is one under $40.

OP, not real sure what you define as inexpensive, but I highly suggest ebay. I've gotten stuff on there for a real steal, and that's NEW blankets, not used.

Or if you wanna get something from a store, horse.com has some really inexpensive stuff, as does tack-wholesale.com. statelinetack.com also has some cheaper stuff.

My heavy duty Schneider's Turnout was $52 + shipping. It's three years old now and looks like new.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    My heavy duty Schneider's Turnout was $52 + shipping. It's three years old now and looks like new.
    Don't get me wrong, I think schneider's stuff is a lot cheaper than most. More expensive than horse.com and ebay stuff, but I think it's also a bit higher quality.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

If you monitor Tack of the Day regularly, they often have surprisingly good deals on a wide variety blankets this time of year. And for some, you can order as many as 10 (other deals may have lower limits).

I agree with going with Schneider's, right now they have a special buy on the Dura-Tech® Viking II its 1200D at 600D price, the heavy weight is only $70. I would say that is one hell of a deal.

I ordered sheets last year for the weanlings from horse.com and they were fantastic...I think they were like $50 if you bought two of each...which I did since we had 4 babies last year...this year I ordered a sheet and medium weight...I think the med. wt. was $69 1200 denier...great quality...I'd recommend them as they are a good bang for the buck.