The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Triple Crown Low Starch?

I have a 3yr. old TB gelding who has been getting orchard grass/alfalfa mix hay and a vit/min supplement over the summer. He has lost a little weight coming into fall with the colder temps. His ribs are slightly visible and I want to put him on something that will put some weight on him. He does crib, which is why I pulled him off of grain at the beginning of this year (helped a lot with his cribbing and he is out 24/7 with a run-in). I don't want him dropping anymore weight though so he has to get something.

I was just wondering if anyone has had success with Triple Crown Low Starch? Or problems? I have tried feeding him Triple Crown 30 in the past and he wouldn't eat it. I think because it was so concentrated. However, I am worried about how he will like this. Is it palatable to most horses? I am hoping where it is not so concentrated with vit/mins maybe he will like it. He does tend to be on the picky side when it comes to grain/pellets. How is the Low Starch compared to the Complete? I have heard a lot of good things about that. I might be able to special order that if for some reason it might work better.
    Thanks

My gelding wouldn't eat TC Complete, would eat TC Senior (14% Protein / 10% Fat / 11.7% NSC), but lost weight on it. I've just switched him over to Ultium.

I haven't had luck with TC. The first 3 bags of TC Senior that I bought smelled of sour milk. The company sent me coupons to make up for it, but then I heard from another local dealer that they have had to send away entire loads of TC because the bags apparently spent too much time in the heat during transit and arrived rancid.

Guess it depends on where you live, but I wouldn't feel confident special ordering it. If it came in off, you'd be scrambling.

I fed 13 of my horses the TC Low Starch before it got so expensive that I had to switch. They all ate it well and kept their weight very well. Even my "picky" eater seemed to really love it.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

I love Triple Crown feeds. The quality is very consistant. The only brand I like better is Pennefields, and I can't get that where I am.

I feed my new guy the Triple Crown Low Starch, as he is also a cribber. And he loves it.

Thanks for the replies The store is going to be getting the TC Low Starch in this week (they were out when I went to get some), so unless it was stalled in transit it should be fresh, I hope. Sounds like my guy will probably eat it. He isn't super picky so I don't think he will turn his nose up at it. I don't have many other options besides the TC, so I am hoping he will do well on it. He doesn't do well on Nutrena. He was on SafeChoice when I got him and although he looked great, he acted like a spaz. He didn't hold his weight well on LMF, and he wouldn't eat Purina. I sure hope this works.
    Thanks again for the replies.

They will list the date it was bagged on the tear tag. I believe the first two numbers on my bags were always either 14 or 15 and then there will be a series of numbers representing the day of the year that it was bagged (ie: 120 = April 30).

nervousalter - Thank you for the info. That will be great being able to figure out when it was bagged.

I feed it to several ponies and they all like it fine. I don't feed them much, so it lasts a while, which balances out the ridiculous price.

Ok, so I got a bag of the Triple Crown Low Starch and here's the tag info.

4303-WH
    M371040

So would it be 303 days and it was bagged 2 days ago?
    or would it be 10/15/08 which is in the end of the second line?

My guy wasn't a huge fan of the TC Low Starch, but he ate it okay (it was his first experience with a pelleted grain, though, so that may have been why he was reluctant at first). However, he is an air fern, and the Low Starch had too many calories for him. He now eats TC Lite, and he seems to like that a little bit better. For your guy, Low Starch is probably a good product to try.

I would treat him for ulcers, especially if you've never done so.

I'm in the process of making a decision to switch my ulcer boy to either the Lite or Low Starch. He was on Progressive Grass diet balancer before the price skyrocketed due to fuel costs. Then I switched to the feed mills "similar" formula to the ProAd Grass but it just isn't agreeing with my boy's ulcer issues due the higher sugar content. So I'm actually leaning towards the TC Lite whereas if I switched my mare to a TC formula.... it'd probably be Low Starch since she cribs and has shown very mild signs of ulcers in the past. Let me know how the Low Starch goes with your boy!
    *bad shoulder clique * Member of "OMGiH, I loff my Mare" Clique! * Proud owner of a CANTER Cutie!
    My Horses; COMH Page; My Blog

Once they drop below 3-4 lb a day (typically in the summer), mine get TC Lite. But when they need more than 4 lb per day (typically in the winter) they get TC Low Starch.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Thanks Janet! Right now, Chevy is only getting 2lbs a day of the diet balancer and he's looking a bit on the chubby side again. That's sort of why I was leaning more towards the Lite so it sounds like I'm thinking correctly.
    *bad shoulder clique * Member of "OMGiH, I loff my Mare" Clique! * Proud owner of a CANTER Cutie!
    My Horses; COMH Page; My Blog

I had great luck with the low starch pellet, but then, my horse eats everything. I put him on it b/c he was ulcery at one point in his life, found that it worked, and kept him on it.