The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Help me answer "how much did your horse cost" from hon-horsey people, please!!!

So, I'm trying hard not to be rude with my answer, but this question is getting asked of me a lot lately, and it catches me TOTALLY by surprise each time. I'm not sure what to answer, and I keep answering with a dollar amount of "around $1000" (not true) since I keep getting caught SO off guard. I figure that's a response that's not outrageously expensive, but not cheap either, and might inform them as to horse costs.

The question is from well-meaning individuals who ought to know better than to ask outright what a horse costs, but I keep getting so shocked to be asked that I can't come up with a reply quickly enough. I just stand there, looking really stunned with my mouth open for a minute, and then stutter out an answer. I'm usually a very good question dodger, but this one has me stumped. I HATE giving a dollar amount, as I feel that it's personal, and also tacky to rub it in that I am privileged enough to be able to (very carefully and deliberately) afford my horse right now, but I just can't come up with something that's not inherently rude fast enough that will not provoke further cost questioning. Any good ideas please?
    Somewhere in the world, Jason Miraz is Goodling himself and wondering why "the chronicle of the horse" is a top hit. CaitlinAndTheBay

If you like your horse say "not near what he's worth."
    If you don't like your horse say "too much".

I get the same question now and then....although usually a more polite, "So how much does a horse cost?" Which is easier to answer since there's a big price range to give a short explanation for...and since I know they're wondering what I paid for mine I'll finish with, "And mine was somewhere in between but not too expensive."
    If I'm asked outright what my particular horses cost I answer usually with something like:
    "He wasn't too expensive."
    "More than a pack of gum, less than ocean front property."
    "He was reasonable."
    "As much as my other one."
    I try to find a polite way to deflect the question...giving a somewhat answer while also letting them gently know it's not polite to ask.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I dunno - I've never understood why that question bothers people so much! If someone asks me how much my horse(s) cost, I tell them. ($1000 and $600, in case someone is curious... )

I mean, it's pretty clear you have disposable income if you have horses. To me, it's just a question of being secure enough in myself and and how I live my life that I really don't care. And if they chose to be offended, well, they shouldn't have asked...
    Proud member of the EDRF

I just tell them how much it cost.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Mind your own business.

How rude! Just because somebody asks you a question does not mean that you have to answer.
    How can it possibly be any of their concern, other than to gossip.

Well, that's right up there with "How much do you weigh?", "How much do you make/year?", "How old are you?"... Kind of personal IMO.

Just smile and say "Why do you want to know?".

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

I explain that horses can cost any amount of money from free to hundreds of thousands of dollars. If you want an old pony or an off the track TB who needs an injury rehabbed, the horse may be free. (This usually amazes people because they think all race horses are expensive). If you want an Olympic Show Jumper, the horse may cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. I explain that we don't get the free horses, because I am too inept to rehab and train an OTTB. We don't compete in big, recognized, competitions, so we would never even consider the expensive, made, competition horses.

This is usually enough information to make people happy. They realize that they might be able to afford a pony for their kid someday, but that they will need to understand a lot more about horse pricing before they buy a pony or horse.

I know this sounds wishy washy, but what I say depends on why people ask. If they're trying to figure out more about the financial commitment involved in horses (e.g. they have an interested kid), I'll let them know the range of horse costs, how upkeep is often more important than the purchase price, and that they can get into horses without a purchase.

If it's someone asking because they assume I must be rich because I have a horse, eh, depends on how cheeky I feel. Sometimes I'll totally BS them and give an outrageous figure just to see their head explode.

Most of the time I ask them why they want to know. That gives me some idea what kind of information they're looking for.

if I want to give them some idea, I like to tell people that my horse is a Toyota and my spouse's horse is a BMW

Quote Originally Posted by Candle View Post
    So, I'm trying hard not to be rude with my answer, but this question is getting asked of me a lot lately, and it catches me TOTALLY by surprise each time. I'm not sure what to answer, and I keep answering with a dollar amount of "around $1000" (not true) since I keep getting caught SO off guard. I figure that's a response that's not outrageously expensive, but not cheap either, and might inform them as to horse costs.

The question is from well-meaning individuals who ought to know better than to ask outright what a horse costs, but I keep getting so shocked to be asked that I can't come up with a reply quickly enough. I just stand there, looking really stunned with my mouth open for a minute, and then stutter out an answer. I'm usually a very good question dodger, but this one has me stumped. I HATE giving a dollar amount, as I feel that it's personal, and also tacky to rub it in that I am privileged enough to be able to (very carefully and deliberately) afford my horse right now, but I just can't come up with something that's not inherently rude fast enough that will not provoke further cost questioning. Any good ideas please?
    Depending on what said people drive- "More than your car"

Oh wait, you don't want to be rude..nevermind...
    Horsey Stick Art clique
    Crayolaposse~ SparklyLime
    PPP Grand-Poobah

I guess it depends on who's asking and how well I know them. I usually say something to the tune of, "Quite a bit, but the purchase price is nothing compared to the upkeep they require." Because most people only think about the horse being expensive/or not and not about boarding/training/farrier/vet expenses. By the time you explain all that and what they cost, they've usually forgotten the original question, anyway .

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I know it's an annoying (and often prying) question, but in this day and age it seems like everyone knows the price of everything, so they are just used to knowing such stuff.
    With the internet putting prices of everthing from bubble gum to Bentley's in the hands of the public people feel entitled to know such stuff.
    If you think someone is prying, be vague. If they are really interested in finding out the cost involved, tell them honestly maybe without specifically stating your horse's price.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

I answered someone with $150,000. They gasped and choked, and I said "Well, I had to buy a truck and trailer, and I built him a new barn, and....oh, wait, did you mean JUST the horse? I don't remember --but it wasn't nearly as much as it costs to haul him and house him!"

I take the approach of one of the poster's above. I explain that they are a lot like cars; the price can range from free or a few hundred dollars, to hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars. I explain that it depends on the age, training, and talent of the horse. Depending on who the person is (like my boss, who I don't want to feel like he is paying me too much ), I offer that my mare was older and in need of retraining, so she was on the lower end of the scale.

People aren't generally trying to be rude, they are just genuinely curious how much an average, regular person's horse might cost. They may have read about how race horses are worth millions of dollars, but they know that all horses can't be that expensive. If I felt like the person was being rude or overly nosy, I would just say that I would rather not say, or that I would really have to get her appraised to know what she is worth now.

"I promised my husband that my horses will never be more expensive than his cars, so it depends what kind of car my husband is driving"

I would just smile and say "He's priceless"
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

I tend to answer "Exactly enough to bring him home." I never give an actual dollar amount. When they ask how much I spend a month to feed/keep the horses at home, I always answer "Less than paying someone else to do it."

It's a rude question and ranks right up there with "How much do you make?"

I just say, "Less than $500 thousand." It shuts them up.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

I usually say something like, "Oh, the purchase price isn't what gets you - it's the upkeep! You can spend anything form nothing to hundreds of thousands of dollars on a horse - and then they need good feed, and foot care, and at least check-ups from the vet." And if they haven't moved onto other issues, then I might tell them more about horse care costs and issues.

I'm pretty sure most people who ask me have really no idea, so letting them know that 300 dollar pony - or free horse - they see somewhere isn't quite as cheap as it might sound, well, that seems like a useful stock answer.