The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default First XC schooling w/ KatyBug today

Ok, so I've done it. I signed us up for a local starter HT (Full Moon Farm) on Nov. 16, going 2'. Katy and I had a successful show outing in September doing jumping and dressage, and we hack out a lot, but today will be our first XC school together. The farm where we board has XC to school of the appropriate size and terrain. She is very sensible outside, I hack her alone sometimes even. So today we get to put it all together.

I need to be confident and ride her forward (she is not a speed demon), keep my eyes up and have fun. But I am already a little nervous typing this.

My last full HT (on a different horse) in Nov. 2006 ended in a fall that knocked the wind out of me pretty good. I feel quite confident and secure on Katy, though. She competed BN last season w/ a different rider quite capably.

Tips? Encouragement?
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Have fun

Full Moon is great and everyone is really supportive.

Hit one of their pipe openers beforehand if it'll make you feel more comfortable!

The biggest thing is to just feel comfortable being out in the open (I'm guessing you're doing BBN which is out in the big field?)

Their water can be a bit spooky b/c it sits on top of a hill and the horses don't have time to see it before they're right on top of it so think about your approach.
    Winfield Farm
    Karrera "Zoee" ~ Redshift "Orion" ~ Inquisitive "Q" ~ No Doubts "Lady"
    I Paid For My Vet's New Truck Clique

My only advice to you is BREATHE!!! You and KB will have so much fun, I just know it. And it's only schooling right now, so if you have a blooper at a fence, that's okay. The priority is to have fun.

Lori B is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

inquisitive -- yes, BBN. I might be able to do the pipe opener beforehand, but I don't have a trailer, so getting her there takes a bit of planning. Our own XC is in hilly fields, so I am learning to ride terrain. I have been to other HTs at Full Moon, and I think they put on a nice starter event.

Yep, smallherd, I do have to be reminded to breath. Katy will be happy to get out of the ring on a weekday, that's for sure. With short days, we can only hack on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    Ok, so I've done it. I signed us up for a local starter HT (Full Moon Farm) on Nov. 16, going 2'.

HEY!!!!! I just did the very same thing! Dropped my entry in the mail at lunch!
    I signed up for the Elementary Rider.

This is our first horse trial. I've always done hunters and my horse is only 4 so it could be interesting. I think it will be a lot of fun but I'm still a tad nervous I've schooled twice at FPP and she was very brave so I think we're ready to give it a try.

So I can't offer you any advice but maybe I'll see you there. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Sparky Boy; Oct. 23, 2008 at 02:52 PM.

Ooh, congrats Lori B! Just remember to breathe and have fun . I often talk to them as I'm riding, which serves double duty of helping me relax and focus and it keeps me breathing. Yes, doing the pipe opener will help a lot IMHO.

I would say to visualize you and Katybug out there having fun and sailing through the courses beautifully. Think that you guys are the best out there and it will be so .

How exciting! You and Katy will be fine, just remember to relax. I can't wait to hear the report and see pictures .

Original Poster

Default Schooling report

Well, yesterday afternoon went pretty well. I didn't: a) fall off; b) eat a giant log; c) have a mental meltdown, although I still feel like a giant chicken about the whole thing sometimes. But then I tell myself that as long as being afraid doesn't make me unable to think and ride, that it means I respect how dangerous it is, which is smart, not dumb.

Katy was really lazy initially for our brief flat warmup, but once we started practicing gallop position and she figure out that it wasn't just going to be outdoor dressage schooling, she woke up and started moving. We started in a small field surrounded by woods and jumped some small logs and small and medium barrels, and after I remembered to breathe, it started to be fun.

In the next field over we did a tire jump, and then worked on a very long line of equally spaced medium sized logs. The middle one was tough for me; I got nervous about how quickly we were going, and it was a bit on the narrow side, almost a skinny, and looked big, because it was up on two supports. I'm sure it was no bigger than 2'3", but I guess because there was daylight under it, I was timid. Katy ran out a couple of times, but we finally got it right, and did the whole line in sequence. Then we schooled some small banks, up and down, then trotted through a small then a quite deep water, then some more logs, and even ditches! The ditches were a bit tough initially, Katy didn't want anything to do with them, but since there were three of us, she settled and followed one of the other horses the first time across, and after that, went back and forth over them like a complete pro several times. Our farm owner built two ditches, a tiny one and a medium one, and we schooled both at a trot, although when we trotted over it in the direction of dinner and the barn, she put her head down and took off a little, telling me "Ok, mom, I am SO done."

This was my first XC school in 2 years, and I felt that I did pretty well, but really need to work on not being afraid of cantering the long line of logs, and on my fitness. I was absolutely obliterated by an hour and a half of hard outside riding. I wish I could quit my job and send myself to some kind of insane gym-boot camp, it was tough. And while Katy has hacked out in these fields all summer, this was only her second time jumping outside the ring this year. The few runouts were completely my fault, and when I rode properly she did her job. It was exciting to see her more up and forward than she is in the ring, and even though she really wanted to go, she was still sensible and ratable.

Good for you Lori!! I agree with you - little nervousness is not a bad thing. Sounds like you and Katy are doing very well. You know, sometimes it is the little things that make us happy, like not falling off or throwing up on course, and remembering to breathe.

Thanks for the great update. Pictures??

Original Poster

Sorry, no pics. There were a couple spectators, but no cameras. Next time possibly.

How hard did I work? I completely soaked my crash vest w/ sweat. And it was maybe 60 degrees out yesterday.

Yes, smallherd, I counted not throwing up among yesterday's accomplishments. When I came home all pounding on my chest and excited about the day, my poor boyfriend was very confused. He said "don't you jump all the time?" I explained to him that Katy and I usually jump things that fall down if you bang into them, and that the jumps aren't situated in 10 acre fields that make your young TB say "whee, mom, we can run all the way back to the barn for dinner now, right?" He's starting to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    It was exciting to see her more up and forward than she is in the ring, and even though she really wanted to go, she was still sensible and ratable.
    YAY Lori!! I had hoped she'd be just like that, I could see it in the vid you sent me of your stadium course.

I know you love Katy and you realize what a great brain she has-- but truthfully-- you are very much the reason why she stays that way, and why she progresses as she does. You always have very realistic expectations and it seems you do your best to set her up for success. I think that is really commendable.

Hooray for a job well done.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Original Poster

Aww, thanks FG & smallherd.

I'm glad it went so well, and you both had fun! I hope you can get some pictures to share, next time.
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.