The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 13 Yr Old Bay TB, 16.2, N. Florida, totally sound and rideable

I am regretfully offering Toby to an outstanding home only.

Toby came to me 4 years ago after I rescued him from a family in central Florida who had him as a "yard pet". He was turned out in a dirt paddock with a little mare who stole all of his food. He was all bones, and the family had no idea what they were doing wrong. Apparently, they bought him from a horse camp...which one, or where, I really didn't get a good answer. He did race, as he is tattooed, but I have been unsuccessful in getting a clean reading of it, so I have not been able to find out anything about his history that way.

I was eagerly looking to get back into horses, and bought Toby the day I met him without getting on his back or even seeing him move. I fell in love with his gentle personality the moment I saw him. I did get all of their vet records which were, unbelievably, UTD and clean. I fattened him up to a very handsome man and slowly started riding him...after being out of the saddle myself for almost 10 years. We were both very rusty, but I always knew he was trying his very best and we both improved dramatically, despite the fact that we were just riding together without being in a lesson program for a couple of years.

Over the last year or two, he has had the opportunity to have SOME lessons, both dressage and some low level jumping. He does very well with consistency, and I only wish that time and money would have allowed for more training for him. For personal reasons, (which I don't mind sharing more about if you are interested), I feel that it is best to find a home for him where he can be used to his best potential. I do not feel that he is suitable for a beginner, but an intermediate rider who can devote a lot of time to him, possibly looking for a project, would be his match. I have not shown him but have been urged to by many. I am confident that he would do a fabulous job in local shows with the right person.

My ultimate goal is to have him in a safe, healthy place where he is loved and cared for. I have nightmares about him ending up in a place like where I found him 4 years ago.

He is definitely gentle enough for ANYONE to be around, groom, and play with. He will stand and let you do ANYTHING to him....really! (Rushing one day, I even blew him off with a leaf blower to quicken his drying time after a bath...he didn't even blink an eye! I know, I know...please don't flame me for that!) I have never seen him snip, kick, or act aggressive in the least bit around anyone or any other animal. He is always the low man on the totem pole around other horses, and he ends up being the one that others boss around. He has the one of the most laid-back, easy going personalities of any horse that I have ever seen. He's like a big puppy dog, and he is extremely trustworthy.

He does have a few weaknesses though that I want to be very honest about, and a few of them go along with being a "typical thoroughbred"....all of which are completely tolerable and easy to maintain/handle for a knowledgeable horseperson:

He needs all of his food! If he is being fed with other horses, he will be run off and his food will be taken. He is currently on pasture board with a run-in shed and fed with other horses. He is fed with a feed bag to ensure he gets all of his goodies, and he does well with it. He MUST be on grass (at least partial grass turn-out...he does love a stall). Perhaps this is for my own peace of mind, but I will not send him to anyone without plenty of grass turn-out for him.

He is great on trails as far as being very calm and not spooky. He doesn't mind being the leader or the follower in a pack. I would trust him with anyone (adult or child) WALKING on a trail. His biggest problem is when it comes to trotting/cantering. He can get quick and strong, but he is stoppable and is not aggressive about it at all. He does not give you the "I'm running away with you" feeling, but he isn't quickly responsive to aids as he has a pretty tough mouth as well. We have been working on downward transitions, which he does improve on dramatically with consistency. I'd be afraid that a child may not have the strength for him once he got going. A stronger woman or a man should have no problem with him trotting or cantering if they are prepared for it. Also, I've always ridden in pretty gentle snaffle bits. If you are experienced in harsher bits, this may solve the problem drastically. I hate to suggest that just anyone though because I think that harsher bits need to be used correctly under the correct training and they aren't for everyone.....which is why I haven't gone there.

If he is not groomed and pampered regularly, especially in the summertime, he does get rain rot/fungus. He is completely clear of this now, and will stay clear of it if he is groomed rather consistently. The hotter months are much worse on his skin from the sweat. He can stay clear of the fungus with regular grooming and a fungus bath every few weeks during the summer just to keep it away.

He currently has front shoes on because we have some harder and rocky areas where I trail ride now. I had him barefoot for about a year and he did well on softer ground, even when ridden and jumped. If he will be on any sort of rocks and/or pebbles, he may need shoes.

I would prefer to keep him in the North Florida area, preferably as close to Tallahassee as possible. I'd like to find a permanent loving lease for him. He deserves it, and I know someone out there will love him as much as I do.

If you are interested, please email me at BrittneyRegan@aol.com.

Default bump

bumping for Toby

Toby is still available. I would consider moving him further from Tallahassee to the right home only. Please contact me at BrittneyRegan@aol.com with any questions. Thank you!

This guy sounds great.

Bump.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Bump - have you called college equestrian teams? Auburn might be interested!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Bump

Default still available.

Toby is still available to a loving home.

can you post some pictures?

Would you consider a home in TN?

3Horsemom, did you get my pictures through email?

AtlasStar, TN wouldn't be out of the question. Please let me know more about what you are looking for.

Thanks for your interest!

Would you consider South Alabama?

MardiGras, yes, I would consider your area. Please let me know more of what you are looking for either by PM or email me at BrittneyRegan@aol.com. Thank you for you interest.

Default Toby

bump

Just wanted to see if Toby found a home yet.........

Can you email me more info and pictures? irishtangerine@yahoo.com do ou think he would be suitable for a young rider in pony club? How does he respond to jumps?

Default UPDATE: 13 Yr Old Bay TB, 16.2, N. Florida, totally sound and rideable

Please read the original post for more information on my "Toby". If you have any interest or questions, please contact me at BrittneyRegan@aol.com for more information.

Toby is currently in Henderson, KY, and will be returning to me in Tallahassee. Florida in about a week. He left for Kentucky in March after a trainer saw the add that I posted for him. He has been in amazing hands since then, and has had unbelievable love, care, and attention, and for that I could not be more thankful. The disappointing part is that I was told that this would be his "forever home". Unfortunately, due to the barn losing the trainer that brought him there and getting another one not as familiar with Toby, along with the structural changes that go along with a new trainer/barn manager, the promised forever home is not a reality anymore. While in KY, they found that he was not suitable for the lesson program that they planned on using him for. A full vet was done (x-rays, etc.) and they suspect an old trauma in his hock/stifle. Though he is completely sound and able to be ridden (per the vet), they have concerns that he will have a difficult time building up the necessary muscle, balance, etc. for students in the ring. He had some time off during injections and some testing. Since he has been back under saddle he has, once again, proved to be heavy in the hands at anything more than a trot. They were hoping that he would eventually be used for beginners to intermediate riders, but now think that too much time will have to be devoted towards him to get him where he needs to be for them, and they say he just isn't quite "earning his keep" for their purposes right now. I have, of course, accepted him back as I have always promised a home for him if he is not desired. I am now looking for a loving, forever home for him. I am expecting my first child in April, so I know my time for him will be even more limited now. I feel horrible for him going through this shuffle again, and would prefer that he does not go to another home that has high hopes for him in the potential show ring. Though I think that he could eventually do it, I have learned that his life purpose right now may just be a good ol' trail horse and loving friend/companion. The folks in Kentucky doted on how calm and easy going he always is. In fact, they were concerned something was wrong with him when he first arrived because he was so "ho-hum"!

I am able to provide my vet/farrier references as well as all records and contacts since being in Kentucky.

Thank you for your help in finding this wonderful guy a great home!

Toby will be making the trip back to Florida in the next few days. He will be in Ocala on Tuesday and in Tallahassee by Wednesday.

Default Toby

I am the trainer who originally brought Toby to Kentucky, and regrettably, left the position.

I cannot say enough lovely things about this horse. Because of is hind end weakness, downward transitions have been tough, although not impossible.

I'm saddened to learn that they are not going to hold up to the "forever home" they promised.

I personally think he would be AWESOME for a therapeutic riding program, because he is the calmest, sweetest horse I believe I have ever met. I was doing some work on the long lines with him, which he responded to very well.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about my experiences with this fine boy if Brittney doesn't mind. By the way, congratulatons on the new baby!

Thank you Caren. I hope all is well with you and your new adventures!

bump!