The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Oster Vs Andis Body Clippers

I've only owned Oster body clippers and my current ones are ready to be retired. Anyone have the Andis? I like that they are smaller and thinner, look like they'd be easier to handle. I love my regular Andis clippers.

If I were to get the Andis, I'd probably go with these: http://www.householdappliance.com/an...ers_68010.html

This is the Oster I'm retiring, and would buy again if I decide not to go with Andis:
    http://www.householdappliance.com/clipmastervs.html

Opinions? TIA!

Before you buy, look into the great, quiet clippers made by Groomer's edge. There is not motor in your hand, hence lighter, quieter, and cooler for you and your horses.

http://auburnpet.com/double-k-401-gr...2ft-cable.aspx

The one pictured in this particular ad (many shops carry them) is with a 12 foot cable, but get the 20 foot cable. Trust me on this one.

Hm...that is a very interesting looking clipper! Does it only come in the A-5 style? I want a bigger clipper for full body clipping.

I recommend the Wahl Lister Star. Andis makes a good clipper, but I've had better long term performance out of my Wahls. And I clip a LOT.

i have that model of andis clippers.
    LOVE them.. quieter, lighter, cooler than anything out there. i clip 8+ horses with them every year- i've had the clippers for 5ish years now, never a problem.

Well I have both the clippers you are retiring, and the clippers you are looking at.
    I clipped 49 horses last year, and have clipped 35 so far this year, so I guess I have a pretty good handle on what is involved with clipping.

I bought the Andis clippers last year so I would have 2 pairs just in case. (I have an old pair of Oster single speeds that I was planning on retiring).

I like the lightness of the Andis clippers. They are quieter (you can actually have a conversation with someone while you clip ). They blow air across the blades so they only blow hair in your face when you are clipping up a leg, but I have had some horses object while I was clipping up their necks to their heads. Not good when they jerk because hair is blowing in their face, while you are clipping the mane line.
    the thing I don't like about them is they are super temperamental. They will just stop clipping when they need you to oil the blades, which they need a lot. The motor speed is slower than the Osters so sometimes they don't clip all the hair and you have to go back.
    The weird thing (and not to hijack your thread) they will stop clipping long before the Osters will. the Andis's will act like the blades are dull, but if I put them on my Osters I can finish the horse. Something in the tension adjustment that I still can't figure out.

I would not recommend the Groomers edge clippers. Even with a T-84 blade it takes me longer to clip with them. Plus with the belt pack you, not your clippers are plugged into the wall. Definitely hard to move around with them.

I really like the Lister stars a lot, but because I have so many blades for Osters and the Andis clippers can use those as well I went with Andis. I didn't want to have to rebuy all the blades.
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

Wow, I started a thread in off course similar to this one. I did not check this forum before I posted it.

Bluehorsejp, Do you prefer the Osters then, based on the information you gave? I will not be clipping 40 some odd horses but I will be clipping 3-6 and I am looking at getting a new pair of clippers by next year to replace the one I have that take forEVER to clip. I was looking at the Oster single speeds.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

I personally do prefer the Osters. They are power houses and have never let me down. Especially my older pair of single speeds. The draw backs are they are heavier (I only notice how heavy they are after I have clipped 3-4 horses in a day. then I am a little sore afterwards).They do blow hair out of the sides of the clippers which can end up in your face, but I find if I hold my hand over the air vent when they are doing that (mostly on the right side of the horse clipping toward the head) I don't end up with much hair in my face. Oh and another tip, for some reason when I wear a baseball cap I get less hair in my face. Don't know why, but their is hair on the bill of the cap, so I can only assume it is protecting my face a bit.
    All of that said if you don't own Osters already and don't have a tom of blades then I would recommend the Lister stars. I have only clipped with a clients set, and only her 3 horses once, so I can't say how long they will last, but they were quiet, light and easy to maneuver. I think you need to order the medium blades to get the right clip length as the fines are too close. But all in all they are nice clippers.
    I just couldn't go that route because I have 30+ Oster blades and didn't want to start over.
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

A happy place filled with pony and puppy kisses :)

WOw, great topic! I was clipping today with my oster single speed and well, I have only used them a few times, but have been drooling over the lister, it seemed that the angle of the handle may be more user friendly, and I like the fact that they are really quite.... hmm, may have to pop the osters on ebay and get the listers before I have to clip again.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I've had the same experience at Bluehorse with the Andis clippers. Yes, they are smaller and lighter etc - but they quit too often. I use mine as the reserve pair now, and went back to my (older, heavier, but much more reliable) Osters.

Like the others, if I were starting from scratch, I'd buy the Lister stars, but don't want to have to get all new blades, because I only do a few horses a year now. If I were still clipping a ton of horses - I'd get the Listers or the Laube clippers. Both pricey, but very, very good quality.

http://www.kimlaubecoshop.com/clipperkits.aspx
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

So glad somebody else is having trouble with the Andis clippers. Thank you Lucassb. I feel mich better now.

I just did my first clip wih my lister stars and they were fabulous. The only issue is the blades are terribly expensive and hard to find, but they are like a hot knife and butter. Buy the MEDIUM blades when you buy the clippers- the ones that come with them are way way too close for a body clip.
    -Grace

Well, if the Lister blades are harder to find and expensive, that is a big factor too. I have narrowed it down to the Listers and the Osters.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Then it looks like Osters for you !

Ok, I'm bringing this back to life! I have the andis body clippers, I only clip 1 or 2 a year (couple times each) and I'm still learning how to properly care for the clippers and how to use the tension screw. So I guess the tension " issue" isn't just me, , but while I was researching lister clippers online recently, I noticed they have a power pack the clippers could plug into! Old these work for an plug in clipper? Are there any other brands of portable 'plug in' packs that would work with my andis? Is this some lesser known secret groomers know about that I am just discovering???

Lister Stars are nice if you want clippers for yourself...but they aren't made for professional amounts of clipping.

I've used most everything except for Groomers Edge.

Hands down, best clippers on the market are Premier 1.
    (get them from Valley Vet)

I have 2 sets of Premier 1 clippers, a set of the Andis 2 speed with 10 blades and also the wide T84 blades (which I like but the blade gets pretty hot) and several Iron Horse clippers that I use for the head only.

I swapped out my Oster A5s for the Andis 2 speed. I HATED those stinking Osters.

Clipmasters are trash. I wish I had figured that out 4 years ago.

Those Premiers are amazing. I did 6 horses in 6 hours the other day. body only...no head or legs.
    That means I did a horse per 40-45 minutes or so. The blades stayed so much cooler than my clipmaster blades. I do oil and spray A LOT while I'm clipping.

My Clipmasters left track lines. The horses were good to go in about 2 days.
    My friend's Lister Stars made her horse look like trash for over a week. Might just be her technique though.

Those dang Premiers?? OMG. Orgasmic. The horses were perfect and show ready the moment I was done clipping. And I clip like a kid with ADD. The horses had ZERO track lines. Amazing clippers.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I just bought the exact same Osters in the OP and I love them. I did a modified Apron on my coming 3 y/o Half-Arabian who has never, ever seen a pair of clippers. Within 5 minutes of rubbing them on him (turned off) and letting him check them out while running, I was off to the races and he practically fell asleep.

Living in Northern Alberta, our winters are fairly cold so the horses get exceptionally woolie. Even on a medium speed, these clippers cut through the hair with absolutely no problems, and didn't get hot once though I did stop every 8-or-so minutes to give them (and my pony) a break and re-oil.

My only complaints would be the weight & noise .. while they're easy to hold, they are very heavy and quite loud when on the fastest setting.

Do the premier body clippers work with andis or oster blades? I have two andis body clipper blade sets and one oster blade set, I would hate to have to replace them with all new ones....

Quote Originally Posted by HorseKrazy View Post
    Do the premier body clippers work with andis or oster blades? I have two andis body clipper blade sets and one oster blade set, I would hate to have to replace them with all new ones....
    The OP is not the new question. It's a thread from 2008. I just figured that out.

I think Premier might have their own blades. I know for a fact that they don't take the Oster blades. Not sure if Andis and Premier are interchangeable.
    I had 10+ sets of blades for my Oster Clipmasters. I gladly took a HUGE hit on them when I traded everything in.

For those who say they actually like the Clipmasters??? That probably means you haven't used anything else?
    Those dang Clipmasters blow hair all up your nose. They are heavy, you have to use them with a straight wrist. And they are loud.

Most every other clipper is more ergo correct. They are quieter and they do not weigh as much.

I didn't like the Andis because they were too slow. And there have been some issues with the motor.

I did a few weeks of research (mostly on European sites) and the Premiers came out on top. Then I went to a shaving appliance store and talked to them.
    Without any knowledge of my research the store tech said the Premiers were by far her favorite.

I have to say...I basically put the clipper on my horse and then push it along with my index finger. That is how light and easy they cut.
    It was an eye opener. For real. I never had to close my eyes because hair didn't cyclone up to my face. (grrrrr evil Clipmaster)
    After 6 horses I didn't have to wash my face. My make-up was still in tact. I wasn't sore the next day either.

I will add, I was happy with Clipmasters when I thought they were the only body clipper out there. Ignorance is bliss. : )

As for the 2013 OP. I know nothing about power packs. I can only imagine that any cordless clipper will not work for the amount of horses that I do. Corded equipment usually out lasts and out powers.

So I'm no help at all.
    Sorry!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!