The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Registry options?

I hope this is the correct forum for this post...

I recently acquired a registered Half-Arabian mare by the Holsteiner Stallion, Rapport.

I'm wondering what registrations she may eligible for. Will AHA allow her to also be registered with AHHA, that is if she's even eligible for AHHA?

I've browsed both websites and couldn't find the information that I'm looking for.

thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Are you trying to get her "approved" for breeding?
    You state that she is already registered. I don't know why you would want to register a horse twice and most, if not all, of the warmblood registries won't let you. Not to mention that you said mare, not filly, leading me to believe that this horse is an adult.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

>Are you trying to get her "approved" for breeding?

Thanks for your reply.

I don't necessarily want to breed her. I'm just wondering what my options are if I decide that I do want to breed her one day down the line -- or if I decide to sell her instead. I'd like her to be as marketable as possible if I decidd to sell her.

Could I have her approved for Holsteiner breeding as a Registered Half-Arab?

She was already registered when I picked her up -- evidently she was bred with Arab Sporthorse Nationals in mind.

I'm sorry if these questions are confusing or sound idiotic, I'm new to both breeds and to all things registry. I'm an AA and this is my first horse with a pedigree of any sort.

Here's a visual, she's an '05 mare:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...8/Mysti002.jpg

Thanks for the clarification. If she is already registered, then you are just trying to approve her for breeding. I don't know about AHHA, my suggestion would be to call their office or send them an e-mail. Many of the warmblood associations take full Arabians, so a 1/2 Arab with a warmblood pedigree may be acceptable to many.

BTW, she is lovely. What are you using her for?
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. If she is already registered, then you are just trying to approve her for breeding. I don't know about AHHA, my suggestion would be to call their office or send them an e-mail. Many of the warmblood associations take full Arabians, so a 1/2 Arab with a warmblood pedigree may be acceptable to many.

Ah, ok, thank you. I did contact AHHA and got a vague e-mail reply with some questions that I answered but I've yet to hear back from them. I'd like to take her to their inspections if she's eligible and see what the judges think of her. If nothing else it would be an eye-opening experience for both of us.

Thanks for the compliment on her. I'm hoping that she'll be my dressage horse. I'm 5'2 and have had enough of muscling around big horses. I wanted a warmblood in a smaller pacakge, hence the Arab mix. The plus side of the Arab is that I'll have the Arab Sporthorse stuff to learn about. Unfortunately I'm also aware of the downsides of her Arab blood (prejudices in the non-arab show world) but I'm ok with that. I don't have designs on the Olympics. She's had 60 days under saddle this fall, I plan to give her the winter to chill. We'll start up again in the spring and see what we've got.

thanks again for your help!

She is, indeed, lovely. Unless the photo is misleading, I'm not sure I'd want to deal with a registry that wouldn't welcome her.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    Oohhh... I like her too!! Really pretty mare.

Default guess she's not what AHHA is looking for...

Thanks for the compliments on my mare. I think she's a looker too.

... but I guess she's not what the Holsteiner program is looking for. Even though she's half Holsteiner, she can't be approved for breeding because she is also Half Arabian.

I got this reply from AHHA:

I spoke to our Breeding Chair and the most we could issue on your mare would be a Certificate of Pedigree. This would allow her to compete for year end AHHA awards but the mare would not be eligible for inspection as Arabians are not one of the breeds we use in the Holsteiner breeding program.

Thank you for your inquiry and good luck with her.

bummer.

Do not despair! I'm sure that there are lots of warmblood associations that would inspect her. The Holsteiners are a more closed book than others.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Ok, I am just jumping in with nothing useful to say other than we have a Rapport mare (Holsteiner on both sides) that looks STRIKINGLY similar to your mare and she's produced some stunning foals!!

Here's a link to a pic - sorry she's filthy and 9 mo. in foal.

"Oro" - Rapport/Franat

Just thought it was cool!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by Signature View Post
    Ok, I am just jumping in with nothing useful to say other than we have a Rapport mare (Holsteiner on both sides) that looks STRIKINGLY similar to your mare and she's produced some stunning foals!!

Here's a link to a pic - sorry she's filthy and 9 mo. in foal.

"Oro" - Rapport/Franat

Just thought it was cool!
    Very cool -- thanks for sharing! She's a nice looking girl.

How long have you had your Rapport mare? What's her temperament like?

If Rapport is an Approved stallion, and I think he was/is, with one of the Euro WB registrys, then I "think" your mare could be presented to RPSI.