The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 5-way Breastplate versus traditional breastplate?

I see Bit of Britain now carries a 5-way breastplate:

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Fin...late_p/854.htm

I'd like to hear what the pros/cons are of this type of breastplate.

I am need of a new one and wonder what people's opnions/experiences are with this type versus the traditional type of breastplate.

Thanks everyone!

Linda

Linda
    They're a great design for added security (keeping the saddle in place) over larger fences (Prelim and up). I've got one from Devoucoux and ended up paying a lot for it. Bit of Britain always has quality tack for sale and the price for this breastplate can't be beat.
    www.littlekentuckyfarm.com
    Thoroughbred Training and Sales

And they are VERY trendy.
    Click here before you buy.

I would not call them new as this design has been out for years but more popular now, yes.

More than trendy, some are much better for horses who actually have backs that saddle slip on!

I like not having a breastplate pulling at the top of my saddle from D rings.

When they first came out I was gifted with this one from Devoucoux:
    http://phillipdutton-devoucoux.com/p...roducts_id=102

Which I loved but end up just using the rings that attached saddle as there was not enough points of adjustment. NOT a fan of the old style polo type but this one above worked GREAT with just being attached to girth. Unlike the polo ones it does not cut a lot of horses across shoulder. I like the new "TRENDY" type I guess as it is more of a hybrid which fits higher than a normal polo and does not pull on the D's

THEN the love of my life:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&zmap=X1-09237

CWD came out with this one and I have yet to find a horse that you can not get a super fit on (I have 2 sizes) but everything on them can be adjusted for many horses.

Trying to find a picture of it on a horse but the adjustment is so nice!
    Last edited by beeblebrox; Oct. 23, 2008 at 08:59 PM.

I've ridden with one for almost 10 years now.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

holy crap! that's a lot of buckles!
    Laura

I want one for my horse...my saddle slides back a bit and i think that this particular one will help keep my saddle from slipping..now for the money to pay for it....this is a lot better priced than the devoucoux....that is definatly on my wish list....

I have a jeffries one. The devoucoux didn't match the leather of my saddle, so I bought the Jeffries, plus the Jeffrie's has navy elastics. Pretty much the same cost as the dev though.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...c&id=290901088 This is it. I found if fit my huge, but really narrow wb well.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    And they are VERY trendy.
    LMAO.
    ya. we noticed this past spring that you can't ride I or A without a 5 point breast plate. And you must pull a 4 horse head to head.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    LMAO.
    ya. we noticed this past spring that you can't ride I or A without a 5 point breast plate. And you must pull a 4 horse head to head.
    Ha! I guess I'm destined to live at the lower levels forever. I only have a 3H, and just can't see myself operating all those buckles on that breastplate.

I'm not worthy!

Quote Originally Posted by flypony74 View Post
    Ha! I guess I'm destined to live at the lower levels forever. I only have a 3H, and just can't see myself operating all those buckles on that breastplate.

I'm not worthy!
    I think, if we get a couple of ponies, we could make your 3 horse into a four horse head to head. And then we'll go buy a whole bunch of belts and make them all crazy looking breastplates!

Shoot, I look to the BN divisions around here for the fashion trends.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    LMAO.
    I ride I and have a 2 horse bp that I pull with my F-150.

At the Lucinda clinic this week, she was asked about these and relplied that Phippa F helped design this and her husband William comment was if this was going to hold the saddle in place then it was restricting something and he wouldnt use it
    Cindy

Make any mistakes going forward!

So will it make my horse jump better? Would say anyone object to me running BN in a 5 point breastplate, an elevator, porter boots, studs, and a figure 8? I'd win more right?

Default think folks are taking this offline

"enjoytheride
    So will it make my horse jump better? Would say anyone object to me running BN in a 5 point breastplate, an elevator, porter boots, studs, and a figure 8? I'd win more right?"

I am kind of turned off by your response and several others on this thread. The question was about breastplates and you have some silly comments referring to the level one rides and equipment.

To me that is pretty rude of many of you. There are a lot of kids a adult riders who make our sport and whatever they want to wear or dress their horse in is pretty much up to them

What the hell people.

Chill out, dude. A sense of humor is a wonderful thing. All in fun!

Well thanks for sucking the fun right out of the twinkie.

If the 5 point breastplate works best for you then use it, but don't just get it because its trendy, which is what you often see at the lower levels. Someone's horse decked out and bitted up because the rider thinks its cool, not because the horse needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    So will it make my horse jump better? Would say anyone object to me running BN in a 5 point breastplate, an elevator, porter boots, studs, and a figure 8? I'd win more right?

"I am kind of turned off by your response and several others on this thread. The question was about breastplates and you have some silly comments referring to the level one rides and equipment. "

I tend to agree - I think it was a reasonable question. Much of the feedback was without any information except making fun of folks that use them.

I would add info if I had it but I don't have first hand knowledge to give.