The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default a rave about enormous square bales

A couple of days ago I had an enormous square bale delivered - one of the 1200 pound ones that's 3'x3'x8'. I am so pleased with it! I had the delivery man just drop it on some pallets in my hay shed, and I'm pulling little bits off each night to feed. It works out to be a discount of about $5/bale over the small square bales of a similar quality, even factoring in the delivery. I think, for me, this is the solution to my hay woes. I am so pleased

That's how I feel about my round bales I get one 500lb bale a week, roll it into my barn, peel stuff off twice a day to take out to the pasture, and it feeds 3 horses for 1 week with very, very little waste. $20/500lb is soooo much better than $5/40lb!

I put one of those out in my paddock in a bale feeder rack and my 3 horses clean it up in about a fortnight. But they are grass seed straw - fantastic all season round.

JB, where do you get your round bales? What kind of hay is it?
    Confused owner of ASB Johann(AKA Smith), Morgan Sebastian, and TWH Bach. Oh, and now Dora, buckskin mare

I looooove round bales! We use them in our paddocks with the holders, and there's very little waste. Plus the horses are eating 24/7, which is nearly impossible to accomplish if you don't have grazing.

Quote Originally Posted by sebegeld View Post
    JB, where do you get your round bales? What kind of hay is it?
    From a wonderful older gentleman literally 1 mile down the road It's orchardgrass, but no doubt there is a bit of fescue in there as well. He started it as OG, only seeds OG, but you know how fescue is I, and the horses, will be so so sad the day he decides it can't/doesn't want to do that anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by MaresNest View Post
    A couple of days ago I had an enormous square bale delivered - one of the 1200 pound ones that's 3'x3'x8'. I am so pleased with it! I had the delivery man just drop it on some pallets in my hay shed, and I'm pulling little bits off each night to feed. It works out to be a discount of about $5/bale over the small square bales of a similar quality, even factoring in the delivery. I think, for me, this is the solution to my hay woes. I am so pleased

I used one for the first time last winter and really liked the way the layers just peeled off. Unfortunately, in Georgia, they generally only make round bales (which I'm using now). To get the big square bales, they have to be shipped into the state and I can't find any so far this year .
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    Unfortunately, in Georgia, they generally only make round bales (which I'm using now). To get the big square bales, they have to be shipped into the state and I can't find any so far this year .
    I'm not sure where itty bitty town, GA is, but if it's close to Aiken, SC, you could get giant square bales from Hiler Hay. They have both Timothy and Orchard/Alfalfa. All their stuff is grown in Ohio. Check out hilerhayofaiken.com.

I use the big bales too -- love 'em! I get them locally, and pick up six of them with my big a$$ truck (TM). The truck is parked under cover right next to the barn, and we feed from the truck -- pull a chunk off onto a wheelbarrow and take it from stall to stall for feeding. It's actually more difficult in some ways than dealing with small bales but much easier than stacking them initially. And our cost savings are monumental.

My only question is HOW could yours possibly weigh 1200 lbs.? Ours are the same size, 3x3x8, and weigh 750-800 lbs. each. The hay is very dense in the 800 lbs. bales, in fact we sort of groan when we open one of the dense ones. Can't imagine it being half again as heavy!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

The 3x3x8's generally weigh about 800 to 900 depending on the hay. The 3x4x8's weigh about 1100 to 1200 and the 4x4x8's are about a ton. I like the 3x3's best of the big bales. Last Saturday I bought 100 barley straw bales. I have a 28' flat bed trailer and a friend has a 24' flat bed. We moved 50 bales a trip. I put up my own hay in large small bales that weigh 90 to 100 lbs. They are great for us but bigg'ns are better to buy much easier to load and unload. I personally am not a fan of rounds. Hard to haul and stack in the barn. LF

We scored 12 round bales of orchard grass with some alfalfa mixed in and I love them, too. Soooo much easier to feed and I've cut my hay bill by at least half. The mares were getting pretty tubby with access 24/7 so I shut them away from it for the night after I've thrown some over the fence for a late night snack. Last year I was paying anywhere from $6-$10 per (small) square bale; the round bales were $40 each. I don't feed beet pulp/crimped oats except for dinner and I've cut down on those amounts, too. Last year in addition to hay I was feeding the oats/beet pulp 2x a day and then warm soaked beet pulp around 8 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    My only question is HOW could yours possibly weigh 1200 lbs.? Ours are the same size, 3x3x8, and weigh 750-800 lbs. each. The hay is very dense in the 800 lbs. bales, in fact we sort of groan when we open one of the dense ones. Can't imagine it being half again as heavy!
    Quote Originally Posted by LostFarmer View Post
    The 3x3x8's generally weigh about 800 to 900 depending on the hay. The 3x4x8's weigh about 1100 to 1200 and the 4x4x8's are about a ton.
    Oh dear. Hope I haven't been taken for a ride. I don't have any way to weigh the thing, and it's open already anyway. I've just done some math, though, and even at 800-900 it's still 10-15% cheaper than small squares. But at 1200, it would have been 37% cheaper!

p.s. JoZ, nice truck!

Oh dear. Hope I haven't been taken for a ride. I don't have any way to weigh the thing, and it's open already anyway. I've just done some math, though, and even at 800-900 it's still 10-15% cheaper than small squares. But at 1200, it would have been 37% cheaper!

p.s. JoZ, nice truck!
    those numbers are correct...3x3x8 rarely exceed 800 ish except in some leafy pure alfalfas

there is about a $50/ton increase from the big sqs to the sms

best
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I'm not sure where itty bitty town, GA is, but if it's close to Aiken, SC, you could get giant square bales from Hiler Hay. They have both Timothy and Orchard/Alfalfa. All their stuff is grown in Ohio. Check out hilerhayofaiken.com.
    Aiken would be a pretty good distance for me - we're in Covington (near the Horse Park in Conyers). However, we do have a flatbed. I am really shopping around for a decent buy on round bales and if I can't find what I want, I'll definitely contact Hilerhay - THANKS!
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.