The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question horse vacuum - rec's and using it

does anyone use a vacuum on their horse? I've seen them in catalogs but never used one or seen a horse be vacuumed. We used to use hair dryers on furry ones in the winter and the horses didn't mind. HOw do they react to vacuums? (hard to train them?) What brands do you recommend?
    thanks.

Our horses have no problem with us using vacs on them. We find it shortens winter and spring grooming a lot. A vac will clean a furry horse right to the skin, when brush just smooths off the top hairs.

We also use the vac on blower mode, much more powerful than a hairdryer. Removes water quickly, and air coming out gets warm with friction if you use the pointed nozzle end. So actually a large, warm dryer as well a dust and dirt removing blower.

I used my shopvac before purchasing an electro-groom animal vac. Shop vac is noiser, shorter hose, but does an adequate job pulling dirt off. Just get the most horsepower motor you can for adequate suction power. My shopvac is now in the garage.

We have the large blue, Electro-groom model on wheels. Was used when we got it, but does a really excellent job. You can purchase hose and spare parts if needed. A "best buy" if you can afford it. Saves tons of time grooming, very powerful for sweeping and blowing off horses. Gets lots of use all winter and spring. Quieter than shopvac ever was, doesn't blow extra dirt out either.

We also have the smaller, portable Metro vac used only as a blower for water removal. I like the little one to take in trailer, more portable for use in the house on dogs or lambs at the Fair. Also bought used, just never got the vac bags to use as a sweeper. Very strong at 4HP, for the size.

All horses appear to like the suction of being rubbed hard with the upholstry looking attachment. Kind of a mini massage on muscular, flesh covered areas. We really lean into them except on bony areas. Even the babies are good if you start out slow and easy so they can figure it out, blowing or suction. Vac should be part of well trained horse education, since many folks use vacs commonly now.

I bought the small horse vac years ago and it did an adequate job, although had a very small bag capacity. I recently got a shop vac that hangs on the wall and it came with a really l-o-n-g hose, so i can keep the vac in the tack room and reach all around the horse in the center aisle. . . less noise. All of my horses absolutely love being vacuumed, and never had to more than play with it with them for a few minutes to get them used to it.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

I have the Rapid Groom, the smaller canister version of the Electro Groom that goodhors has. I got it last winter with some Christmas $$. To be honest, I don't use it as much as I thought I would, but this past winter has been atypical in that we had just moved and were still building fence and getting our place ready, so the ponies were pretty much on vacation and didn't get groomed a lot. I expect that I will use it more this year.

The horses do seem to love it, and it's got quite a bit of suction. A little noisy, but no more so than a big set of clippers or an air conditioner.

It does pretty well with caked on, dried mud. I usually break the mud up with a shedding blade then vacuum.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

College football season is HERE!!!

I second the wall hanging ShopVac unit - I made up a horse attachment from a large rubber curry and the crevice tool nozzle, which works very well - I think you can order readymade attachments that will also fit the hose. The only caution I'd have (other than initial training stuff) is that you NEED to keep one hand on the horse to avoid static electricity that builds up on the hose - don't need to be shocking your pony!

I have used the big ElectroGroom models, and this budget replacement works just as well - for about one fourth the cost. It also is up off the floor - very nice. The horses LOVE being vacuumed.
    Homesick Angels Farm
    breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
    standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
    www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

Definitely. I have a wet/dry Shop Vac with the $15 curry comb attachment. Much cheaper and it does a great job.

this is encouraging! I was thinking they might like it but wasn't sure. Do you have to worry about the static shocks with the horse -specific models too or just the shop-vac?
    my horse is SOOO dramatic about static shocks - I'm guessing if she gets shocked from a vacuum once, she'll never let me near her again. hates getting brushed or even touched in the winter or when it is windy.

also, anyone know where you can buy a curry attachment for a shop vac?

I love my Electro Groom. It works best if you use a rubber curry all over first or in between the vacuuming stages. It works wonders on caked on mud. I usually go over first with the curry or metal scraper if they are really muddy. Then I vacuum. Brush, then vacuum again. If you feed flax the dirt just slides off. You still need to brush them as well but the vacuum cuts your grooming time by 2/3.

I usually get them used to it by letting a new horse see another horse getting vacuumed first. I just put the newbie in a stall across from the grooming area and let them see the process. Then they are much better.

I brought in a border in exchange for barnwork earlier this year who has the big Electrogroom on wheels. She lets me use it and I can say I will never go without one again! I had a ShopVac with curry attachment with did ok but the Electrogroom leaves them spotless even if they come in with crusty mud. Just curry, vacuum, and a quick brush and everyone's shiny and I no longer end up covered in dust. They do love it! Must feel like a little massage. I'm keeping an eye out for a used one for myself.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Quote Originally Posted by max72 View Post
    also, anyone know where you can buy a curry attachment for a shop vac?
    You can buy mine, I definitely won't be using it again. Honestly, after dealing with both (plus testing out my neighbors Vac'N'Blow in between), save your pennies and get the real deal. It's worth it.

This thread prompted me to do a google search for a used Electrogroom since I haven't for a couple of months and BAM found one 3 hours from me in a town I'll be in on Thursday anyway so I called and bought it! They can be found for $200 to $250, so worth it! My border will be happy about having her vac all to herself again.
    Last edited by CoolMeadows; Oct. 20, 2008 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Adding that I found one, they're out there :)
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

http://www.stagecoachwest.com/produc...gory=487&mx=10

great rubber curry for vacs. Even my spooky arab loves his shop vac.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

I've had my Electrogroom for almost 20 years. Although I am a small private barn, it gets used ALL THE TIME. Minimal repairs, excellent job, horses love it!!!

I LOOOOVE VACUUMS! Haha, my horse would stand without being tied, and I could vacuum her all over. It REALLY helped keep her clean in the winter (she likes the dirt and dust) and her coat always looked amazing.

We sadly had a, ah, "mishap" last winter, when one of the horses somehow got his leadrope wrapped around the vacuum and spooked, causing the poor vacuum to get dragged down the isle and out the door into the ring... RIP ElectroGroom. I loved you, lol.

Default static shock

How do you keep your horses from being shocked by the static electricity caused by low humidity in the winter? I've shocked my guys a couple of times and now they won't let me near them with my vac.
    Last edited by GallopHer; Oct. 21, 2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spelling

I had the same thing happen, and now my horses don't want to be vacuumed at ALL. Is there a secret?

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMeadows View Post
    You can buy mine, I definitely won't be using it again. Honestly, after dealing with both (plus testing out my neighbors Vac'N'Blow in between), save your pennies and get the real deal. It's worth it.

This thread prompted me to do a google search for a used Electrogroom since I haven't for a couple of months and BAM found one 3 hours from me in a town I'll be in on Thursday anyway so I called and bought it! They can be found for $200 to $250, so worth it! My border will be happy about having her vac all to herself again.
    I'm looking for one, too, but didn't get any hits on my Google search. Any others that you found??
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

I love my Rapid Groom. I bought it 30 years ago - it sat in a shed for 25 of them, and I just recently remembered it. Pulled it out, put a new cord on it, and fired it up. Works great. They're indestructable I think. I live in So. Cal. so we do get dry days with low humidity. On those days, I either don't use it, or I try and keep a moist towel in my hand and run it over the handle and nozzle every once in a while. I don't like the shocks any more than the horses do...but on those days I don't brush much either. I get just as many shocks that way.

I have heard, but I haven't tried it yet, that if you rub dryer sheets over the horse as you vacuum, it reduces the shocks. Will let you know maybe tomarrow.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMeadows View Post
    I brought in a border in exchange for barnwork earlier this year who has the big Electrogroom on wheels. She lets me use it and I can say I will never go without one again! I had a ShopVac with curry attachment with did ok but the Electrogroom leaves them spotless even if they come in with crusty mud. Just curry, vacuum, and a quick brush and everyone's shiny and I no longer end up covered in dust. They do love it! Must feel like a little massage. I'm keeping an eye out for a used one for myself.
    Our boarding barn has one - we love it!!! Really gets the dirt off in winter and shedding season especially. The horses love it. The one horse i had who hadn't been vacuumed before, i just started gently in the shoulder area, and gradually moved to more ticklish areas. They usually find the wiggling hose scarier than the sound or feeling if they worry at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    I'm looking for one, too, but didn't get any hits on my Google search. Any others that you found??
    You're going to hate me Laurie, the one I found is in your area. Old and rusty, but works and cheap... the horses don't care what the vac looks like. I found one in Illinois for $100 but don't know what shipping would be or if they would even ship it. Might be worth a call anyway.

People having static problems in winter, a damp warm towelling after currying and before vacuuming usually keeps the static away.