The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default what are yor feelings on a pony trail riding with an oversized rider? *pics added p2

Okay so I have a bit of a dilemma.

I have a VERY sturdy 12hh pony who is about 4yro now. He is an angel to ride. I love the little bugger to death. I have had him for nearly 2 years now and I love him to bits. I started him under saddle late last year (lunging with tack on/etc) and he began real work this spring. He now does w/t/c very well and will start over fences late summer of next year.

I am 17yro, 5'6" tall, but only 101lb. I obviously look funny on him considering I can wrap my legs around him completely, but he really does not struggle in the slightest. I am the one who has put 90% of his rides on him. He has an incredibly well fitted saddle that is a 14" seat that I fit into surprisingly well (i have no butt) in all ways except the flap. He absolutely LOVES to get out on the trails. I dont get him out enough b/c I have to trailer out to them, but when I do he really enjoys himself.

So here is my problem. There is a paperchase coming up that I think he would REALLY enjoy going on. I would not be going for time in any way, just more for a casual ride with some friends. I could take him or my crazy gelding, but Flash would enjoy it more and I would enjoy it more on him. My crazy TB would be terrified out of his mind, it would not be fun for me b/c he is so spooky, and it would not be enjoyable for my friends either b/c they would have to deal with his shenanigans too. I know he needs the experience on the trails, but so does the pony. And with the chilliness making my TB feeling EXTRA fresh .. I am really not trying to deal with him. Plus the pony is PLENTY fit enough to do it, I will not worry at all about how he will fair. He has ridden the trails they take you on several times and does great. we will be mostly walking anyways with maybe a few canters here and there. I also wouldnt mind hopping off and hand walking him a bit, we both enjoy that.

Trail riding is a rarity for me b/c I have to trailer there. and my dad has to trailer me, and I also have to arrange a time with someone to go out with me (i hate going alone). It is just incredibly difficult to work it out, so this paperchase is a good time for us all to go.

so what are your feelings on a pony trail riding with a rider that is too tall for them (but I really dont way too much for him)??? I think I will end up taking him either way, but I just wanted to sort of prepare myself for what others will think.

Who cares what others think. Go have fun and if anyone asks tell them the truth. That this is your pony that your training and he needs time on the trail. Your not to heavy for him so I wouldn't worry about it.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Take him. He's stocky, he's conditioned, you'll both enjoy it.

If he's sturdy, I wouldn't think anything of someone of your size on him. Not to mention you also sound like you know how to ride, so that will make it easier for him... not that I think he's struggling with you at all.

So can you literally "drag your heels in the sand"?
    I tell my 2 young tiny lesson students that all the time. They tell me they can't really do that... which is true because they're on a stocky 15.2 Appendix and a 16hh TB.

You do not weigh too much for your young pony. Go and have fun! It doesn't matter what others think anyway. Enjoy your time together!

My friend and I ride the pony she got for her daughter....We haven't weighed 110 in a long time. LOL

I'm 5 8 and 130 and she's fine. Yeah, it looks goofy, but it's a fabulous time.

Go for it.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

As long as you don't weigh too much, there's no problem!

Quote Originally Posted by fleur de duc View Post
    Okay so I have a bit of a dilemma.

I have a VERY sturdy 12hh pony who is about 4yro now. I am 17yro, 5'6" tall, but only 101lb. I think I will end up taking him either way, but I just wanted to sort of prepare myself for what others will think.
    kick and go...good grief you're tiny he's 12 hh not 10hh...any 12 hher who can't carry 100 pounds isn't worth his salt anyway...

best
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Go, have fun....and take photos.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

We want lots of pics!!!!!!

BTW I am 5'9" 115# and ride a 12.1 hh pony that I jump 2'. She loves it and so do I and we have fun.

ENJOY and take lots of pics.
    Proud Mama of a BOY rider

Thumbs up Pony paper chaser here...

Here's a photo of a group of us from this Sunday (photo # 591 if the link below doesn't work)... these ponies range from 12.0 - 13.3 ... none of us is short... and yours truly is certainly not 100 lbs... do we look silly? Sure, but we had a great time and the ponies did too! And we will be getting blue ribbons in the mail!

http://www.hoofprintimages.com/mp_cl...&eventid=23858

kay ;]

im pumped now! we are gona do it!
    and there will be apro photographer there so hopefully pics will come! i will bring my little camera as well for the ride.

if anyone is going to the radnor hunt paper chase nov 9th .. you are VERY welcome to join our team!!!

You're skinny and light. It's fine. If it's anything list last year at Radnor-- that is WAY too much for a really high stung greenie, IMHO. It's long and people whip by you and sometimes the trail is narrow. Donkeys, a dog park... not an ideal first trail riding experience IMHO. Take Flash and have fun.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by petesperson View Post
    Here's a photo of a group of us from this Sunday (photo # 591 if the link below doesn't work)... these ponies range from 12.0 - 13.3 ... none of us is short... and yours truly is certainly not 100 lbs... do we look silly? Sure, but we had a great time and the ponies did too! And we will be getting blue ribbons in the mail!

http://www.hoofprintimages.com/mp_cl...&eventid=23858
    Are you with the others riders on the icelandic ponies. Pics 593/4 They are so much fun. I love all the native breeds.
    If you wish to see what man made take a drive. If you wish to see what god created saddle up your horse.

take him.. I know a girl who is about 5'8'' orr 9'' who is extremely slim, who rides a welsh pony with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by blaeberry001 View Post
    Are you with the others riders on the icelandic ponies. Pics 593/4 They are so much fun. I love all the native breeds.
    We were riding 2 Dartmoors, a 1/2 Dartie (a dun not in that photo), a 1/2 Connemara, and a 1/2 Welsh... they're not my ponies, so I'm not sure what the other 1/2s are! But I LOVE the Darties... strong, sound, sane, and game for anything!

Not sure if I saw the Icelandics, but I have seen lots of other adults (and tall teens) on ponies at the various paper chases... at St. Malachi, there was a group of mothers and young children on Welsh ponies, and the moms were on the smaller ones!

Maybe we'll see you at Radnor! Have a great time!!

As others have said, it's not the height, it's the weight that matters (as long as you're a well-balanced rider). 101 lbs is certainly not too much for a stocky 12-hand pony. Go and have fun, and don't worry about what other people say

(By the way, what i remember of pony club games is that the weight limit for a small pony is 117, and those ponies did the equivalent of a lot more work than a paper chase!)
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

We rode our ponies till our feet dragged on the ground (almost). Go!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

...wear roller skates when in the saddle...?
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

If your weight is appropriate for the pony, and it sounds like it is, go for it. I ride Shetlands sometimes since I'm an adult who's child-size, so I get to school crappy ponies for people's kids. This is me trail riding on one, bareback because I don't fit his saddle:
    http://inlinethumb21.webshots.com/29...600x600Q85.jpg
    http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/40...600x600Q85.jpg

Clearly it's not exactly picturesque, but my weight's comfortable for him and he's happy. d;