The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs up Fabulous opening hunt

We had a fabulous opening hunt. The hounds are working great. We had a 4.4 mile run, it was quite exhilarating.

Full report, GPS track and photos are here.

http://www.pbase.com/lesliegra/hunting081018

I was thinking about getting some inputs from the whips and sending the report to the COTH for printing, what do you'all think?
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

As always, wonderful report with photos to document it! Everyone looks so nice braided, prepped to the nines and the hounds look terrific! There are no ugly horses in eastern MO.

As far as a COTH report, it seems like a good idea to me to share the story. My work has me around horse people from all diciplines and when chatter about foxhunting comes up the reaction other horse people have is funny. Because by choice, or accident, foxhunters are wallflowers, or modest, we are stereotyped as elite, white collar, trust fund kids who ride horses. No kidding- seems to be rooted in foxhuntings early origins but times have changed and the hunt field is filled with small business owners, school teachers, electricians and good ole Mom's and Dad's. Pheasant hunters, deer hunters and duck hunters get a pass but- hound work and enjoying the outdoors is the common bond and those groups spend big $$ on their hobby as we do. I just returned from spending 5 days in South Dakota as the pheasant hunters enjoyed their opening weekend. Wow, HUGE business up there. So, back to my point, any constructive stories about the sport can be a good thing when stereotypes are erased and traditions explained.

Sigh.
    Sigh.

I hope that before I die, I can at least hilltop.

And the question behind the question is: can hilltopping weenies get their colors? I hope that is not too dumb of a query.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dogfarm View Post
    Sigh.
    can hilltopping weenies get their colors? I hope that is not too dumb of a query.
    I'm with you 3dogfarm! I've gone second flight, but the weenie in me prefers to hilltop most of the time. I hope that colors are awarded to me at some point. I do support the club in other ways.... I help out at work parties to repair the courses. I sponsor classes at our hunter trials. I go on hound exercises. I loan my horse to an occasional whip and have loaned my horse to a guest of our MFH. So, I hope the fact that I only hilltop doesn't keep me from getting my colors.
    ---------------
    I once belonged to Charlie (but now he lives with another BB member). I still have Sissy-1982 Quarter Horse Mare and Chrome-Percheron/TB Mare

PW - As always, a lovely hunt report. Thank you for posting the link.

Well, it depends on the hunt I'm sure but colors are more about how much you contribute to the hunt rather than what field you ride in.
    -Painted Wings

Lots of fabulous photos!! I have to say though, my fave is the horse with the martini on his butt!
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Wellll , I was in the ladies room at Virginia Intermont (attending a conference at VI) when I suddenly thought "I hope my post inferred it was ME who was/is the weenie".
    I figured that it is the dedication and support to the hunt is how colors are earned, so thanks to all who contributed to the answer.

Now, back to my healthy, boring lunch. I'd rather have a Ruby Tuesday's smokehouse burger and a large order of fries.

Yes, thanks for putting all that together -- lots of work involved. I too got a kick out of the horse with the martini on his butt.

Nice to see how other hunts operate and I hope more people post this sort of thing.

What wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing.

I like the staff horse that goes 'in colors' too.

Default Bassets

Well, I forgot to mention in my account that the Three Creek Bassets were out also. They were blessed after the Foxhounds. Rt66KiXs mention of hounds in the stirrup cup made me think of that.

Anyway, I had three hunt reports from the footpack:

1. "They said they had three good runs" (from my husband, a photographer not overly interested in Bassets).

2. "It was great, they treed a guinea hen" (from one of Bridlespur's former MFHs who also has colors with Three Creek.

3. "We saw two rabbits but the Bassets didn't" (from one of the whips)

I've asked Rt66KX to send me a writeup so that I can add it to mine for the Chronicle. Maybe she can shed some light on what really happened out there.

But of course, my mother-in-law always says, don't let the truth get in the way of a good hunting story.

By the way, the man holding the two Basset pups is Rt66KX's husband and the tricolor is hers.

http://www.pbase.com/lesliegra/image/104830316

My husband is running around with the large cameras.

http://www.pbase.com/lesliegra/image/104830306
    -Painted Wings

Default yes and no

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Wings View Post
    Well, it depends on the hunt I'm sure but colors are more about how much you contribute to the hunt rather than what field you ride in.
    I've seen honorary colors awarded for outstanding [non hunting] service to the club
    but usually you have to know the territory and be able to help as needed.
    [here the first flight abilities may be a need rather than an option]
    ie. years and 2 horses ago I jumped back to help a noob go the long way around.
    instant 2nd field.... on a day we started with out one.
    but there are countless [by others] examples.
    more hay, less grain

Thanks for posting this.

Love the pic between the horse's ears!

Keep the faith, 3dogfarm just keep the faith. I'm gonna at least hilltop once, too.
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

Default Here's more photos

These are ones my husband took.

http://www.pbase.com/stl_don/bh_blessing_08

Here I am

http://www.pbase.com/stl_don/image/104905564

I think he's still working on them as I saw some others on his computer screen last night.
    -Painted Wings

Appomattox, VA, \"Where our Nation Reunited\"

Default Martini on the butt?

This i need to see, and YES I want one!!!

PS Saw your b/w paint and thought what a cool horse, didn't even realize it was you!
    Cheryl Microutsicos, in the heart of Virginia
    www.wowgraphicdesigns.com
    www.usea2.net
    www.foxhuntva.com

Default Here's the Martini

For those that didn't see it

http://www.pbase.com/lesliegra/image/104830331

Quite artistic.
    -Painted Wings

Talking

Oh Painted! You've come through for us again! Outstanding! Indeed the horses looked wunnerful! I loved ALL the paints but yours was so special!
    And I loved the skinny girl in the shadbelly on the gray horse pics - I LOVE that horse! Hate the attractive rider - I hope she falls off!! Then I can have the horse....no but I want the paint that whip is on or....well I can't choose!
    Favorite pictures are the ones with your huntsman on the ground with her hounds congratulating them. You can feel the love. It shows thru the photos! Wunnerful!!

Hey! Tell Ron Ausman that Ashland won the the seven couple class yesterday at the Basset Trials! And the basset puppy pictures (well ANY puppy pictures!) made me weak at the knees! AAAwwwwwww!!!

I love opening pictures and I think Mr. Granger has a serious future in photograpy! Look at how he caught you in perfect position AND your horse in perfect suspension! WOWEE. And HE was dressed so nice too.