The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How Much Is Reasonable?

So,
    say you were shopping for a horse. Nothing super special. Not a world beater. Nice gaits, good mind, maybe a good, but not super or orthodox jumper. Just a good, nice horse. Middle of the pack in every outing. Not a ton of show miles, but ready to go, or just started going prelim.

How much would you pay?
    35K?
    40k?
    50k?
    More??

We've sold some prelim packers from my barn (during good economic times) for anywhere between 30-50k. With the market as it is now, what should i expect to pay for this horse??

Thoughts?
    Last edited by NomdePlume; Oct. 20, 2008 at 03:45 PM.

It really depends on what level of horse your looking for, what age and where your located. If your looking for a training packer that's a bit older, your probably going to spend around 20-25k give or take. If it's a younger horse whose very consistent at training and ready for prelim then that's more like 25-30k and up. If it's a prelim packer, 30k and up. Like I said, it really depends. With the market the way it is now some people may be willing to lower the prices a bit if they have to sell.

I agree with cevent. A friend of mine is on this exact search and is hitting about the same price ranges.

OTOH, if you're willing to look at an unorthodox breed (like a Standardbred or Arab), a horse that's been a successful show jumper but doesn't have the dressage miles, and/or you shop in a depressed market like Michigan's, you could score something for as little as $15K. But of course, you're paying there for either uncertainty or "not being the cool kid with the TB/ISH cross".
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

TX is an off market as well and I was going to say 15K.

My student and I looked at an under 10 y/o Novice Packer for 5K last weekend.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Right now I have heard of some screaming deals here and there. The market here has completely tanked besides the already good deals, and a proven winner. I know of horses for sale in the 8-10k range that 2-3 years ago would have been in the 25k+ range. There are few buyers and costs are rising. Out here in CA the monthly expenses make it hard for most to sit and wait for their price.

It's a different world from when I was shopping in 2006 and could not find anything except lame and/or crazy horses for less than 15k.

I've been struggling through the horse search recently as well and was shocked to see the prices. They are all over the board, honestly.

I've seen 7 year old OTTBs who are doing their first Novice priced at $20k, and I've seen Prelim packers priced at $25k. It seems that most of the solid prelim horses are in the $35+ range unless they've got some age on them.

This, of course, as everyone has stated is dependent upon your location. I did the Middleburg thing and saw 18 horses in 2 1/2 days. That's worth the plane ticket out there. I think it's easier to ask more in a condensed location than in remote Montana. I found a super Prelim horse (on-line) in Montana priced at 12k, but the trip to go see him (and no others) was going to cost me $2k. Not so worth the plane ticket I don't think.

I've heard that this is a buyer's market from some people, and then others have said that people are that anxious to sell just yet.

I think its a crapshoot honestly. What some people think is a $2k horse, another would pay $10k+ for and vice versa.
    http://www.stoneridgeeventing.com

Off topic, but I overheard someone this weekend ask for $50K for a horse who doesn't seem able to get a qualifying two-star dressage score and, in fact, has - more than once - scored 90+ on FEI tests. That is penalty points, not good points. Granted, the horse's record shows it has jumped around advanced. Still, between its bad dressage and the fact that it does not have a spotless XC record at advanced or intermediate, it couldn't be considered a "packer" at either level. I thought this price was shockingly high, but perhaps it was simply a case of someone seeing what they might be able to get away with?
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverTime View Post
    Off topic, but I overheard someone this weekend ask for $50K for a horse who doesn't seem able to get a qualifying two-star dressage score and, in fact, has - more than once - scored 90+ on FEI tests. That is penalty points, not good points. Granted, the horse's record shows it has jumped around advanced. Still, between its bad dressage and the fact that it does not have a spotless XC record at advanced or intermediate, it couldn't be considered a "packer" at either level. I thought this price was shockingly high, but perhaps it was simply a case of someone seeing what they might be able to get away with?
    I saw a horse listed for 50k this weekend that isn't even qualified to run a * yet! And was going training in July!! At that price, 50k for a horse with Advanced miles seems like a bargain!

My friend has a solid training horse w/ 1 prelim and tons of prelim schooling under the belt for under $30k and she's negotiable! and he's still in the single digits agewise. she's had some interest but no one has come to see him yet

The market is definitely down quite a bit from where it was last year. There are bargains to be had, but fancy is still getting sold at a nice price.

The sweet spot is the amateur-friendly Prelim ride. That's where the money is still to be made: the horse that will be fun and reasonably competitive at Training level, and will take a joke and be safe at Preliminary. We're seeing many of those horses at 30-50K, depending on age, size, soundness, how well it will do on the flat, and how careful it is on Sunday. It used to be that if it had done a long format one star successfully, the price went up; unfortunately, I think that's becoming less of a priority for folks as people have stopped making a long format one star a substantial riding goal (but that's another topic). However, if you don't mind one with a few holes, you can find them between 20K-30K. By holes I mean still amateur ride, but perhaps not good on the flat, in the 12-14 age range, or with no deference to rails, or perhaps a maintenance issue in terms of hocks or feet. Dropping below 20K for that horse is unlikely, though it does happen - when you're getting below that, you're getting lucky, finding something at 15 years or older (which can still be wonderful), or knowing you're going to have some more fundamental soundness or personality issues to contend with.

To save money, look for mares, look for under 16hh (or just at 16h), look for the 14 year old plus, look for something you can fix on the flat but who isn't going to win the dressage. There are a number of these out there that are diamonds in the rough, but they can take a bit more digging to find. Good luck!

Once you add the word "Preliminary" to any horse's resume', the price goes up a lot. Nobody seems to want a Training horse that doesn't have the Prelim potential.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by NomdePlume View Post
    So,
    say you were shopping for a horse. Nothing super special. Not a world beater. Nice gaits, good mind, maybe a good, but not super or orthodox jumper. Just a good, nice horse. Middle of the pack in every outing. Not a ton of show miles, but ready to go, or just started going prelim.
    That is a pretty acuarate discription of a horse I started then sold to a rider that has put a ton of show miles on him since. I think he's 8, 16.3 and has just moved up and jumped around prelim once. Was in the middle of the pack at the AEC at training a couple years ago. Is actually better than average mover and is usually in the top 1/3 after dressage. Not particularly stylish over fences, but still has an excellent XC record. This guy is an amatuer ride or a child ride no question. Quite, calm, honest. A few months ago I saw he was for sale for $25k in the mid west.

Wow - big bikkies indeed. One of ours, a solid 1* horse with very good dressage and less than perfect showjumping was on the market here last year and we could have sold him 10 times over for $AU20,000. I decided to keep him for myself. These days, because the US dollar is so good compared to ours (what the?) - you could fly over here, buy a gorgeous Prelim horse and fly it back for well under $US20,000.

I think this horse could be one of those "diamonds in the rough" on par with exactly what GotSpots said. http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1296273

Slightly off topic, but....

For those of you buying/selling the type of horse that was described at the prices that have been quoted, where are you finding/advertising them?

Prices also reflect who is selling them. For instance, P. Dutton's horses start at $20K whether they're prospects or going Novice.
    Same goes for B. Martin's horses.
    They're lovely warmblood types, but I think that having an Olympic rider associated with them bumps the prices up too.
    www.littlekentuckyfarm.com
    Thoroughbred Training and Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Equa View Post
    Wow - big bikkies indeed. One of ours, a solid 1* horse with very good dressage and less than perfect showjumping was on the market here last year and we could have sold him 10 times over for $AU20,000. I decided to keep him for myself. These days, because the US dollar is so good compared to ours (what the?) - you could fly over here, buy a gorgeous Prelim horse and fly it back for well under $US20,000.
    Good excuse to take a nice trip to Australia!
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

SMMP: I advertise my horses on equine.com, dreamhorse.com, equinenow.com, usea area2 website.