The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is there a horse-proof cell-phone?

Seriously, a little water, a few drops and *poof* my phone is dead. Is there a cellphone that can stand up to the rigors of horse-ownership?
    T3DE 2010 Pact Group
    Barefoot Eventers Clique
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2lkxcbn110.jpg

I have one that's held up pretty well for two years. It's a Motorola flip phone- the model number might be 360? When I got it, I told them I wanted the toughest phone they had. They told me this is the one they recommend to constuction workers- perfect!

It has both a camera and a video camera, which I've used many times to take pictures and videos of horses. (And dogs. And many other things.)

I'm actually thinking of getting a fancier phone, but I'm not sure I want to give this one up.

YES! It's the ugliest thing you've ever seen but it's waterproof and shock resistant. It's by Casio...G'Zone or some such nonsense.

I've ruined the majority of my phones during barn incidents: dropping in water buckets, soaking beet pulp, stepped on, etc.

This thing is fabulous. First day I got it, the guys at work threw it in the fishtank, called it and took pics. LOL It's really waterproof. Really.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

YES!!!!!

Verizon makes a military level of cell phone that is water proof, drop proof, slobber proof, and is virtually impossible to destroy. I ended up purchasing it when my horse 'ate' my cell phone, breaking the screen, and causing it to ring in his mouth, sending him 2 feet straight up in the air. At least he didn't swallow it, lol.

The local news did a report on this phone and they froze it in a block of ice and it still worked! I think they call it the GI Joe phone.

Although it is rather masculine looking, it is great for around the farm!

Friesian that's the one I have. Verizon carries it...made by Casio.

Loff it.

It really is ugly as sin.

The motorola at sprint (nextel) is the best one I found, it has hit concrete and gotten wet and Lord knows its seen better days. Its fallen off while riding, it probably has hit concrete 100 times in the past 2 years and still works like a champ. The flip may mess up once in a blue moon (once in 2 years for mine) but you go right to nextel and they fix it there for free

I now have a verizon phone by motorola w385 and I even dropped it in the toliet (yea yea gross, it was before I went at least LOLOLOL), it messed up for a few hours and it started working like normal again.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Another vote for the Verizon Casio G Zone - LOVE it. Very ugly, but functional, although the new model is signifigantly more attractive (and available in Orange!!).

I've dropped it in a water bucket, a friend did her's in the toilet. I've had a horse step ON it, too - nothing but a scratch, and still works great.

Mine didn't even have to get anywhere near a horse to meet its demise. It drowned in the bathroom sink.

There are several "mil-spec" cell phones on the market that are designed to be dropped, immersed in water, exposed to extreme heat/cold/dust, etc:

Casio G'zOne (Verizon)
    Samsung A837 (AT&T)
    Motorola i580 (Nextel)

I have the black Samsung and it's great. It looks like the Star Trek communicators from the original series.

Now THIS is why I loff Coth. Really. The consumer reports of the horse world. Just when I was shopping for a new phone. Thanks!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Friesian that's the one I have. Verizon carries it...made by Casio.

Loff it.

It really is ugly as sin.
    I have the same phone...what sold me was the "flash light" on it. How many times horse sitting and the "lights in the barn suddenly don't work" or we loose electricity. Has come in handy for that.

I've dropped it several time--and survived. Camera on it is not all that great, same as the video camera.
    Tater-my Western Sport Horse
    http://www.clipshack.com/5539

Yep, I have used the flashlight--to check my throat when I got strep. LOL

Seriously though...I was at the liquor store the other night. The cashier guys had put up a funny sign so I whipped out the phone to take a pic. They saw what I had and were all "OMG, is that the one that really is water proof and you can run over it and stuff?"

Me: Yeah

Them: Can I drop it?

Me: Sure

They thought that was KEWL.

LOL

I'm not kidding when I say that the first day I got it, my boss demanded I hand it over (company pays for the phone) and he promptly dropped it in a bucket of water. Then in the fishtank. Then launched it across the room (concrete floors). No worse for wear.

I have been lusting after the gzone boulder in orange...

What sold me is my friend who is in vet school has been unable to kill hers yet. Same for a friend who is a barn manager. I figure if crashing horses and water buckets cant kill it than neither can I!!
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

I have the Motorola Razr and Sam stepped on it before. It was just as I saw his hoof descending and screamed "No!", so admittedly he lifted his foot up again like a hot potato trying to figure out what I was going crazy for... but it survived. I have also dropped it about eight thousand times, and it's doing pretty well for itself.

One of my coworkers got an LG phone through Verizon. From the sounds of it, you could drop, kick, jump on, throw in a river, spit at, sink in mud, and then answer the incoming call.
    It was called a "Boulder" (Spin off of "the Pebble" phone. I can't remember who made the Pebble but it looked like a small, smooth black stone. The boulder looks like, well, a bigger pebble).

Police officer friend of mine left his on top of his cruiser and hit 80 before he saw it skip over the high way in the rear veiw mirror. It had a small scatch and still works.

razors do not swim and are not water proof

The new CASIO GZone is awesome. They come in orange and black and black and red. waterproof, shock proof, great reception, bluetooth. I have LITERALLY (and accidentally!) washed my phone through an entire was cycle in my washing machine, sucker turned right on as soon as i got it out. The old models were bulky, the new ones are GREAT

Quote Originally Posted by D1nOnlyRocketPony View Post
    The new CASIO GZone is awesome. They come in orange and black and black and red. waterproof, shock proof, great reception, bluetooth. I have LITERALLY (and accidentally!) washed my phone through an entire was cycle in my washing machine, sucker turned right on as soon as i got it out. The old models were bulky, the new ones are GREAT
    And I bet it was sparkling clean after that!

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    YES! It's the ugliest thing you've ever seen but it's waterproof and shock resistant. It's by Casio...G'Zone or some such nonsense.

I've ruined the majority of my phones during barn incidents: dropping in water buckets, soaking beet pulp, stepped on, etc.

This thing is fabulous. First day I got it, the guys at work threw it in the fishtank, called it and took pics. LOL It's really waterproof. Really.
    http://www.casiogzone.com/home.aspx

That's it!! I would LOVE to get this phone. A friend got one, and it was the bomb-diggity. Only available with Verizon right now though, which I don't use. C'mon AT&T!!

ETA: I have a Nokia 6085. So far I've sprayed it (not soaked) with the hose and it's fine. I carry it in a snap in/out carrier on my hip, so I've walked it into a couple doorways too. It just flips open. I also got dumped once while wearing it, and it was a-okay then too. Nokia is known for being pretty hardy, and I especially like the outstanding battery. Has a good camera on it too, if that's important. I took the picture in my profile with it's predecessor (the 620i I think?), and this one is an upgrade from that.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.