The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default URGENT - I need a place in CA that is allowed to freeze semen for EU use

I need to have a stallion's semen frozen for my use in Europe (quarantine, blood tests, swabs etc) and if possible that place should be in Northern CA. Please can you give me references. It is urgent as he will be gelded and needs to be back in condition in spring for the next competition season.
    Gwendolyn
    http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com
    Exceptional colored German WBs, TBs and Arabians

Quote Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    I need to have a stallion's semen frozen for my use in Europe (quarantine, blood tests, swabs etc) and if possible that place should be in Northern CA. Please can you give me references. It is urgent as he will be gelded and needs to be back in condition in spring for the next competition season.
    I believe Pioneer Equine is affiliated with Select Breeders Services and they would be set up for the quarantine necessary. Also, contact UC Davis. Either of those facilities should work and if not, they would probably know who could do it for you.

Good luck!

Kathy St.Martin
    Equine Reproduction Short Courses
    http://www.equine-reproduction.com

http://www.selectbreeders.com/northamerica.cfm

Pioneers Equine's contact information is on the link above.

SBS does our EU freezing as well as handling importing. They are very professional and customer oriented.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

I have been told the SBS has closed in CA so that is why I am trying to find a place to have it done.

The stallion is approved and had a very good stallion test result its just those hormones that do not let him stay cool enough for the top levels in dressage so the new owners want to castrate him and I have an agreement of semen for my mares. So all needs to be done fast now to avoid him losing a season in competition as they want him move to the top levels.
    Gwendolyn

Quote Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    I have been told the SBS has closed in CA so that is why I am trying to find a place to have it done.

The stallion is approved and had a very good stallion test result its just those hormones that do not let him stay cool enough for the top levels in dressage so the new owners want to castrate him and I have an agreement of semen for my mares. So all needs to be done fast now to avoid him losing a season in competition as they want him move to the top levels.
    The SBS affiliate in Southern California closed, but I'm pretty sure that Pioneer is still associated with them. SBS is pretty quick at pulling those locations that are no longer affiliated with them. In any event, give UC Davis a call. Barbara is the lady in charge of the repro department, so I'd ask for her and see if she couldn't help you out.

Good luck!

Kathy St.Martin

You might also try Dr Paul Mennick at Pacific International Genetics in Los Molinos; Northern CA.
    Will come up on a Google search

I have to talk to Pioneer today re some other frozen semen stuff, I can try to find out for you if you'd like. Why don't you PM me with what you need.

Or if you call Pioneer yourself, it's 209-847-5951, and probably talking to Ellen is a good place to start.

And FWIW, they say on their website that they are an SBS Affiliate Lab, and SBS still has them on THEIR website too.

You can also try http://www.hunterstallion.com In their "Board, Fees and Services", they mention about export. I tried calling them, but the phone was busy.

Good luck,

You might want to contact the SBS office in Texas. We are trying to schedule a freeze for a stallion in Southern California. The more horses they have on the west coast the sooner they might send the mobil lab out here to do it. Their mobil lab is full of very impressive equipment and very knowledgeable personel. Let's see if we can organize a schedule for them. You can e-mail me at HorsesTish@aol.com
    Standing Just The Best, More Than Luck & Lots of Luck www.tishquirk.com

Thank you all.

Tish I sent you an email with the details and home of the stallion in question so you could get in contact with them and maybe arrange something.

In fact the stallion is actually in San Diego and if there is a possibility around there that would be great too said the owners as for Pioneer they have to ship north apparently. So I was wrong with the details.

So far only Pioneer seems to be a good possibility.
    Gwendolyn

Quote Originally Posted by TQ View Post
    You might want to contact the SBS office in Texas. We are trying to schedule a freeze for a stallion in Southern California. The more horses they have on the west coast the sooner they might send the mobil lab out here to do it. Their mobil lab is full of very impressive equipment and very knowledgeable personel. Let's see if we can organize a schedule for them. You can e-mail me at HorsesTish@aol.com
    Unless the facility that the stallion is at is set up for quarantine, they won't be able to freeze for export. If he's in Southern California, Cal-Poly "is" set up for quarantine. We head out that way next month to freeze, so if he's at a quarantined facility, we could freeze him for you. But I don't know of anyone in southern cali that does frozen semen for export otherwise.

Hope that helps!

Kathy St.Martin

Kathy is correct - the stallion has to be quarentined when collected to have the semen for export for EU use.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Location found and information has been sent to Gwen.

Yes, Virginia, we do have a facility that is USDA approved for animal export as well as quarantine for semen and embryo export in southern California!

Winner's Circle Equine Clinic in Hemet.

Seeing how the deed is gonna be done... May we ask what stallion it is.. ?? We know that you breed for color..

P~